Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build.

A lot of time has passed with some progress on this. Turns out that I wasn't done with the body work, since I decided to build a sleeper for this.
First thing to do was make the trim for the pass through, then cut out the back of the cab. Also started on the interior. The idea is to mount it to the frame, yet allow me to remove the cab. I'll use magnets to hold it down.
I also worked on the drive train a bit. I think a TF2 transmission and transfer case driving Blackwell axles will work for this truck. I have a 12T Traxxas 550 motor on it now. The plan is to run it on 4S through an older Mamba Max. Initial testing shows that the motor has good start-up and has smooth acceleration, but I haven't test ran the chassis. I know this motor was kind of gutless on 3S in a Wraith, so we'll see how it does on 4S. If it doesn't work out I have either a 750 or 775 motor out of an old nitro car bump starter box I could try out.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

So glad to see you back on this build. Sleeper is coming along great. Can't wait to see it on the cab. This rig is going to be a beast!
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Finally got some primer on the cab. It's been killing me to not see it in one color. And as expected, the primer high lights everywhere that needs to be filled with putty, sanded, and so on.
Also did some work on the interior. Made the glove box door out of thin styrene with a piece of wire on the bottom to look like a hinge. Also made plates for the gauges similar to the glove box door, and used small washers for bezels.
Unfortunately, this project will be put on hold for a bit. Motoroma is coming up, and I'm going to compete for the first time in my 7 years of toy truck building.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanin00 View Post
Finally got some primer on the cab. It's been killing me to not see it in one color. And as expected, the primer high lights everywhere that needs to be filled with putty, sanded, and so on.
Also did some work on the interior. Made the glove box door out of thin styrene with a piece of wire on the bottom to look like a hinge. Also made plates for the gauges similar to the glove box door, and used small washers for bezels.
Unfortunately, this project will be put on hold for a bit. Motoroma is coming up, and I'm going to compete for the first time in my 7 years of toy truck building.

Body looks great. Looks like you never cut it up at all. I like your idea on using washers as bezels. I might have to use that one.

Never heard of motorama. Just read up on it. Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Would love to attend something like that. Maybe one day. Good luck with the events you enter.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
Body looks great. Looks like you never cut it up at all. I like your idea on using washers as bezels. I might have to use that one.

Never heard of motorama. Just read up on it. Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Would love to attend something like that. Maybe one day. Good luck with the events you enter.
Thanks, buddy. As long as you don't look too closely it looks fine. I was back and forth between using o-rings, washers, or wire bent into rings. I decided that since the washers were already round and the right color, they were the way to go. Feel free to use the idea.
Yeah, Motoroma looks awesome. I've lived in the area of where it's held for almost 3 years now, but haven't been able to go until now. I'm running a Trail Finder II in the ST class, and entered an SCX 10 in the Extreme class if my wife's nephew can make it. If not, I have a couple of friends who might be interested.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Even though I'm trying to get two trucks ready to comp, I couldn't leave this alone. Went another round with putty/sand/prime and painted the interior. Also detailed it with some stickers. Too bad I'm not further along so I could run this truck at Motoroma.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Are the gauge circles washers ?
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Are the gauge circles washers ?
Yes. Glued to thin styrene, painted, then sanded smooth.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Great job, love the dashboard.
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Any updates on this build?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

You know, I've been thinking about this build. For now it's parts sit in various boxes, waiting. Since I've started competing, those trucks have been priority. But if everything is a priority, nothing is a priority.
I've thought several times over that it would be nice to have a means of transportation for the comp trucks. Maybe I'll get back to this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
Any updates on this build?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You know, I've been thinking about this build. For now it's parts sit in various boxes, waiting. Since I've started competing, those trucks have been priority. But if everything is a priority, nothing is a priority.
I've thought several times over that it would be nice to have a means of transportation for the comp trucks. Maybe I'll get back to this...

I had a f350 build that I started on but never when anywhere. It was going to be a custom crew cab. Was keeping it around thinking I was going to get to it one day. Just yesterday seen a young guy who was just starting on the hobby on Facebook asking where he could get a crew cab f350. I decided that I would give him my build since I know I not going to do anything with it. Sometimes it gets to the point where you just have to let them go
Old 05-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

My better half would appreciate it if I donated started projects, but I can't get rid of anything.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
My better half would appreciate it if I donated started projects, but I can't get rid of anything.

I can understand that. You've put a hell of a lot of work into your 6x6. You're attached to it
Old 11-01-2019, 02:15 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Wake the dead!
https://youtu.be/VgZHRdZcSrM
The Traptor lives!
It has been driven in 2 G6 Adventurer Series events in Poland, yes I said Poland! Why am I in Poland, you ask? I'm on an all expenses spared trip courtesy of the US Armed Forces. Overall this is way better duty station than a Middle Eastern desert, which I've had the privilege of visiting twice by the way.
My wife (begrudgingly) dug up it's remains, put them in a box, and shipped sent them off to the careful handling of the Harrisburg, PA USPS (insert sarcasm font). I believe all of the packages I have received from her, and some that I did not, were thrown out of a moving truck, or thrown down a flight of stairs or something. The contents were definitely shaken, stirred, or drop tested.
Here are some of the highlights of the resurrection of the Traptor:

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2019, 03:00 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

At least none of the pictures were in order, whatever. Basically the parts were sent in two shipments because the Harrisburg USPS used the original box as a f@cking pińata! They destroyed the box, scattering the contents and giving me an opportunity to redo the body work I had originally done. Awesome!
Anyway, a friend taught me how to oxy/acetylene braze since our maintenance facilities are lacking operational welding equipment. The original plan was for a Trailer Park(Boys) Limousine with an elaborate sleeper and total length of 30" was cut short, literally. 6" was hacked off the end, the wheel base was shortened, and the Traptor became a day cab accommodating the only appropriate action figure, SGT Slaughter!
The Traptor was hastily thrown together and received it's first complete coat of primer in a hotel parking lot in Malbork, PL. The next day it was off to a 700 meter obstacle course at a Motocross training center near Starogard, PL with Monster Energy RC. Great success! And the primer matched a section of corrugated pipe on the course.
After completing this event with with 1 mechanical failure, an upper rear shock mount loosened up and let the shock dig into the mud before making it through the first gate while a few people were interested in the truck and taking pictures and videos (no pressure or anything). After this, most of the fresh primer was sanded off in the sand/putty/sand/prime process until it was deemed ready for paint. A fresh paint job will only live on in pictures, considering the environment our toy trucks live in.
I must say that I have met a couple of incredible crawling groups while in Poland. Before leaving for this deployment I was able to ask around for advice as to who or what groups where here, since the G6 series was in Poland in 2017. I was told to look for RC Nennox, and club out of Warsaw ran by husband and wife Baej and Sandra Nennox. They were extremely friendly and welcoming to us and we have had a great time with them.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:14 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

That picture was already in the last post, so let's try this again. The first 3 pictures are from a trial run with RC Nennox at a WW I fort. The next pictures are at a G6 style event RC Nennox organized at JuraPark Batów, a Jurasic themed venue. It was the only event I know of that included a Truck Class, or multi-axle class.
I have also successfully converted 7 of my friends into believers of eliminating any unaccounted funds, and spending them on toy trucks! Well, technically 5 since 2 of the converts previously had experience with toy cars.

Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bullhead Body Military 6x6 Build TrailSnail Multi Axle Rigs 24 08-31-2020 12:01 AM
WesleyRoy's SCX10 another 6x6 bullhead build WesleyRoy Multi Axle Rigs 47 03-16-2018 01:41 PM
Yota 2 K2 6x6 Bullhead UneekSole Multi Axle Rigs 1 11-09-2014 08:02 PM
Bullhead 6x6 CydStrange Scale Videos! 0 11-23-2012 06:18 AM