Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build.

As stated I'll be copying a lot of Bullhead based builds. Well, maybe not. I will be parting from the norm and making my own chassis out of 3/4" tube steel instead of using a stretched SUX 10 frame. I'll also be doing some dreaded body work to the cab to make it more proportionate. I have been collecting parts for this monstrosity for 3 years, so don't expect any rapid progress.
Instead listing of an expensive parts list, I'll let the pictures explain:

You can't just order parts and not touch them. I had to lay them out you know.
Now for the initial mock up phase. The plan is to modify RC4WD's suspension kit for a Tamiya tractor to fit the rear axles:

More on that later. Here is the proposed wheelbase:

This thing comes in at nearly 30" long since I would like to add a scratch-built sleeper. Ridiculous, right?
In order to sort out electronics I used a monster truck chassis as a test mule to decide what motor works the best on 4S through a Mamba Max ESC:

The no-name 550 brushed motor from a 12V cordless drill seems to work the best. Unfortunately a Novak motor was harmed during the testing. As with most long-term projects, my ambition to build this slowly diminished and all of the parts found their way back into a box to be rummaged through for other bad ideas.
tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Great, another Bullhead 6x6 traptor build.

Fast-forward to the not so distant past and the urge to build has settled in. Not to mention the fact it's winter and I don't want to be outside anymore than I have to. So, to occupy my time I decided to resurrect this project. I will say that if it wasn't for people on this forum I wouldn't have the confidence to mutilate the plastic required to build this.
Well, the first cut is the deepest:

Now that's out of the way, let's continue:

Properly ruined. Now for the plastic surgery disaster to begin.
As mentioned before, I've felt this body was disproportioned since it was intended for a monster truck. After derping the interwebs for pictures of Kenworth W900a's and W900l's I felt the hood was too short. I added a half inch to it's height with .080 styrene and am pretty happy with it:

Wow, I can glue plastic together!
I reinforced the new pieces from inside the hood:

Now the grille is too short:

A friend at work that is a machinist (a dangerous place for me to get more bad ideas) is going to enable the debauchery and make a new one from scrap aluminum.
Well, the interwebs (another source of bad ideas) showed me pictures of extended hood W900's and I thought the hood needed a little more length to go with it's new height:

I roughed it in with 2 strips of 1 1/4" wide .080 styrene heated and bent to match the curve of the hood. Looking pretty good if you ask me.
Now that's done, it's on to how narrow the cab is as pointed out by Jerry Lawler:

To be honest, I was hoping to gain more width by extending the hood. You can see from this it only gained a 1/4":

Then this happened:

Which means I had to do something about it:

There, fixed yea. The next order of business was to fill in the stupid sunroof. Like so:

Old 02-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build.

After giving the glue time to cure I began the dreaded sanding process:

Now the curve matches, alright.
Well, that's about all I've gotten done despite the sleep I've lost thinking about this thing. It never ceases to amaze me that I get more wound up over toy truck projects then I do over real car projects (which I am plagued with as well). Fortunately, I have a fiancé that acts as my voice of reason whenever I go off the deep end.
On that note, I will leave anyone who wants more with some teaser mock up pictures:

Throughout this process I felt the need to change things, which comes down to spending more money.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Like what you did with the styrene. It will be a big 6x6. Do you have 2.2. tires?
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Wesleyroy! I've been putting this off until I built up the nerve to cut it up. And yes, I'm running 2.2's

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2016, 04:02 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think does 2.2 wheels and tires look great. I have a 6x6 also based on a stretched scx10 frame, but it will be to small /short to fit does 2.2s nicely. I opted for 1.9s. However like that long wheelbase you are going to build.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I meant to tell you earlier that my fiance and I checked out your build the other day. She really likes the color you choose, and liked your wheel and tire choice.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanin00 View Post
I meant to tell you earlier that my fiance and I checked out your build the other day. She really likes the color you choose, and I liked your wheel and tire choice. I considered going with 1.9's for this since I changed a few things from the original idea, but the RCnoWD mil-spec's aren't much bigger in diameter then a 1.9. Plus they're already paid for.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Great, another Bullhead traptor 6x6 build.

Believe it or not, I am starting to like working with styrene. A side-effect could be more hare-brained ideas and the belief that I can build anything. About that.
Another problem area I found with the Bullhead is that it is only 7 1/2" wide from the outside edges of the fenders. My current track width is 9 1/8" using a cast Yota front axle from a TF2. The original plan was to use the Blackwells pictured earlier, but they are over a 1/2" wider. Plus I didn't think they looked right for this truck. Since the Yotas are spare parts that I have, and I think they look more like an Eaton/Napco axle like this:

They will be used in place of the Blackwells. I ordered the Ultimate Yota II pass-though axle to go with my spare front and rear. Anyway, on to the problem at hand:

And this:

I don't like the look of tires sticking way out from under fenders. So in order to add more width I removed the headlight and outside edge of the fender:

Then extended the fender out with a 1/2" wide strip and reinforced it from underneath:

The plan for the headlight bucket is to move it up the fender a bit and add a 2 light bezel to make it look more like an 80's W900l:

Garden Trucking has some awesome (but pricey) detail parts for Tamiya and Weidco 1/14 scale tractors. I ordered several things that will make their way onto this build. I was initially worried about parts intended for a smaller scale truck, but they seem to be right for 1/10.
Last, but not least, here is 30" of 7/8" square stock (I thought it was 3/4" before) crudely ripped down the middle to hold you over:

Old 02-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #10

Thanks tcanin00! I'm been in the planning stage of building a 6x6 on hpi mud thrashers with a 3/4 tube steel chassis. But instead of the Bullhead body I chose the King Hauler. I knew I would have to do surgery on the body to make it more proportion to the mud thrashers and I was wondering how to cut. Then I stumbled upon your thread. You've shown proof that it can be done. Can't wait to get my razor saw and dive in. Thanks again for the inspiration! By the way I can tell by your plastic skills and your parts that this is gong to be an awesome rig. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
leodcj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodcj95 View Post
Thanks tcanin00! I'm been in the planning stage of building a 6x6 on hpi mud thrashers with a 3/4 tube steel chassis. But instead of the Bullhead body I chose the King Hauler. I knew I would have to do surgery on the body to make it more proportion to the mud thrashers and I was wondering how to cut. Then I stumbled upon your thread. You've shown proof that it can be done. Can't wait to get my razor saw and dive in. Thanks again for the inspiration! By the way I can tell by your plastic skills and your parts that this is gong to be an awesome rig. Can't wait to see it finished.

No problem, leodcj95. Start a build thread so we can see how it turns out. Would you mind taking some measurements of the cab to see how close a Bullhead is to a King Hauler? It would be nice to known if some of the aftermarket parts like visors and grilles are interchangeable.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 PM   #12

Will do. Haven't received the body yet. Expected delivery today or tomorrow.

leodcj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

As promised, progress is being made at an astronomically slow rate. I hacked the other fender off and glued it back on, like so:

Looking good. I decided to cut the right side differently than the left so that I would have more surface area to glue it back on with. That decision created more gaps, which mean more body filler, more sanding, blah, blah, blah:

At least the fender width is pretty close to track width now:

Old 02-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well interweb comrades, I have gotten a bit more done. First order of business was to change the 10 TPI blade out from the band saw to a 24 TPI one. When I cut the square tube with the rough blade it peeled like a banana and the cut was pretty wavy. I should also mention the band saw is a portable Harbor Freight special that a friend built a table that allows it to be fixed vertically, like so:

Then the frame rails were introduced to the belt sander and they cleaned up nicely. Here is the initial mock up on leaf springs made from recycled radiator hose clamps:

How are leaf springs made from radiator hose clamps, you ask? First, find a suitable clamp:

Then cut and bend accordingly:

I made those a while ago for another truck but wound up not using them. Good thing I kept them. Now, on to test fitting the body:

The plastic box under the cab is about an inch tall and I'm not liking the cab being so far away from the frame. I might take a 1/2" off the bottom of the grille and fenders, then add a 1/2" to the cab. So much for thinking the body work was done.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Some more has been accomplished. First thing was to determine this frame started as 3/4" square tube, not 7/8". I found a sticker on an end piece. Maybe it's a measurement of the inside of the tube. Either way, I've ruined it. Here is the beginning of it's demise:

I made crossmembers out of 1/2" tube that met the same fate as the 3/4" tube and bolted them in place to square up the frame. After that, I swiss-cheesed the frame for spring and shackle hangers:

Hex head bolts were used to attach the rear shackle. I'm still sorting out pinion angle and spring placement:

I have set of Super Lift pinion angle shims to help correct the problem of NEEDING to have the shackle at the rear of the spring:

Now for some poser shots:

Old 03-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Small update, the front spring hangers are made and attached to the frame:

I still have to shim the axle for better pinion angle, and I think I can bend and shorten the springs a bit since the shackles hang up during compression:

Old 03-27-2016, 09:13 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Time for some dreadfully slow updates. The first was to have a friend TIG braze the first and last crossmembers in place and fill in the holes that I drilled in the frame:

I also had to make new front springs. The original plan, which lead to the demise of the first set of springs, was to shorten them to improve rear shackle angles. After cutting the rear eyes off, they were too short. So, many hours later I made springs the right length along with making solid aluminum spacers for the inside of the spring hangers, eliminating the round spacers on each bolt.

That was about all I accomplished, other than some mock-up for poser shots:

I decided to cut a 1/2" off of the fenders and under the grille and I think it looks much better. Plus I don't have to make a custom grille. Well, more poser shots are needed. I felt the need to tape the bridge feeler stacks on, too:

For a size comparison, I parked a Trail Finder II next to it:

I think in comparison it is just a bit of, like in 1/12th or so when next to the TF II. I am going to continue with this, since it's not so far off that I can't live it.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The Traptor is moving along at a staggering rate. It moves under it's own power, so updates are of the utmost importance. We'll pick up where the third half left off. After leaving it taped together over the weekend next to the TF II, this is what gravity had to say about it:

I have to build the anti-gravity components. They sort of look like this:

And this:

The links isolate the flux capacitor from the gravitational field:

Once the metal frame work is removed, the system can function as intended:

So much intention:

I couldn't live on this planet anymore without seeing the tires in place. They obscure the the leaf pack, which is a combination of the delrin leaves that came with the suspension and a couple of hack-job radiator springs:

So much flex:

Now that's out of my system it's time to figure out how to attach this contraption:

But first, more mock-up so I can stare at it as a source of bad ideas:

Scrap metal seems to fill in the voids:

Well enough to do some posing with:

Now to figure the placement of the improbability drive:

The frame received a few additional vent holes in this process. Initial measurements place the tramission too far back, so it had to be moved forward about an inch:

A GCM transfer case was used as a counter-rotation box for the pass-though axle:

Ready for it's maiden voyage:

Old 04-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Even though not enough time has passed since the last post, I must admit that initial testing did not go well. The cordless drill motor was a bit gutless and stalled over obstacles. The transmission is a two speed, and I have a 9 tooth pinion on the motor. Luckily I have a spare 50 turn motor at my disposal. The other issue is that the axles were not intended to have 2.2" wheels with over 5" of tire. They're geared at 2.66 if I remember correctly, with no way to be underdriven without expensive and risky methods. So the cure will come from the spare parts box in the form of 1.9" wheels and tires that are roughly 4.7". Axial B.F. Goodrich's with LURC Iconic wheels, to be more specific.
I am also changing the body. I really like the look of 80's F-600 work trucks, like this:

And to help this interweb derived impulsive spend-a-thon, JConcepts has recently released this:

Unfortunately one of these bodies is on the way. I plan on using the cab as a basis and building the hood from styrene. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 04-16-2016, 01:51 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Like your build, looks great.

Great, another Bullhead 6x6 build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bullhead Body Military 6x6 Build TrailSnail Multi Axle Rigs 24 08-31-2020 12:01 AM
WesleyRoy's SCX10 another 6x6 bullhead build WesleyRoy Multi Axle Rigs 47 03-16-2018 01:41 PM
Yota 2 K2 6x6 Bullhead UneekSole Multi Axle Rigs 1 11-09-2014 08:02 PM
Bullhead 6x6 CydStrange Scale Videos! 0 11-23-2012 06:18 AM