Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ar60 6x6 wood hauler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Ar60 6x6 wood hauler

Got the lights wired up and interior painted. Also had some time to work on the "payload".

I like keeping wiring nice and clean so I've got one main power connector for all the lighting with spots to add later if I add more.

Had a bunch of extra foam so I added a "cooler" for the hollow log pile. I think I'll be the most popular guy on the trail!

Now I'm gonna leave a beer in there for a while and drink it to check if it's still cold...you know, for science purposes.
patman_and_robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Well my electronics showed up today from Amazon, just like almost all my other rigs I went with a castle sidewinder 3 and a CCBec. Motor wise I went through the old parts bin and found an old Axial 55T that should do the trick. I don't imagine ill be doing any rock bouncing with this thing and on 3s the 55T should be good enough.

Recently I got my hands on a Vanquish Hurst DIG that I think will really help with this trucks (I assume) horrible turning radius. The price was right and why not.

Now that I've got the truck all wired up and ready to go I gave it a quick drive around the shop. To my disappointment it's completely undriveable, the front end is binding at the axles and at full droop the front driveshaft is binding a little bit. Back to the drawing board, going to be in the market for a ar60 panhard adapter for sure.

Note to self: Complete the chassis before starting on the extensive body work!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Great idea on the cold ones and I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the front end...Any pics on what has to be corrected..
we might have some suggestions on how to fix it...
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I really like the power bus bar you have/made. What is it? I'm going to do this on the next truck and have an idea but would like to know what you used please. Good luck on the geometry up front.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Great idea on the cold ones and I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the front end...Any pics on what has to be corrected..
we might have some suggestions on how to fix it...
Thanks for the offer but I've got a pretty good idea of what needs to happen, I just tend to throw things together and see how they work instead of planning it out. Flying by the seat of my pants!

First step is I'm gonna move the skid plate backwards to help with the driveshaft angle and get a set of cvd's for the front. One big advantage to this proscaler frame is the amount of mounting points it has offers a lot of flexibility.

In the back of my head I knew that I needed a panhard kit for the front but I was in denial. I think it's gonna have to wait till after Christmas though, they're more expensive than I thought!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
I really like the power bus bar you have/made. What is it? I'm going to do this on the next truck and have an idea but would like to know what you used please. Good luck on the geometry up front.
Ben
I know I got it from HobbyKing a while back, I think it was in the servo accessories section. One of those things you buy to fill your cart without going over the weight threshold for cheap shipping. If I can find it again I'll post up the link for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman_and_robin View Post
Thanks for the offer but I've got a pretty good idea of what needs to happen, I just tend to throw things together and see how they work instead of planning it out. Flying by the seat of my pants!

First step is I'm gonna move the skid plate backwards to help with the driveshaft angle and get a set of cvd's for the front. One big advantage to this proscaler frame is the amount of mounting points it has offers a lot of flexibility.

In the back of my head I knew that I needed a panhard kit for the front but I was in denial. I think it's gonna have to wait till after Christmas though, they're more expensive than I thought!
just post in the wanted section some body might have it for cheap price or check the for sale section might luck out and find your pan-hard..
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Ben
Found it, pretty expensive! Lol

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/servo-splitter-lead-1-female-to-5-male.html
Old 12-16-2016, 02:57 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Thank you very much!!!
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Considering how hand made the rest of this build is I decided to try and build my own panhard mount. In my mind I think it will be strong enough but only time will tell.

I admit I cut a little too much off the chassis mount but who knows it may last. Half the fun is seeing what you can get away with! Although I'm not sure I want to carry this one out if it breaks...

After the front end was adjusted I was able to finally drive it around the shop. For having a 19in wheelbase it actually drives pretty well! I've had these axles sitting around for so long that I forgot there's an overdrive gear set in the front so combine that with the dig and she might have a half decent turning circle (all things considered).

Tomorrow's project is permanently mounting the electronics and gearing down the pinion.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

While out Christmas shopping today I picked up some of the final parts I need to finish up this project. I got a set of gmade wheels and another pair of pitbulls growlers. They aren't the same wheels as the rear but I kind of wanted them to be a bit different. Love the scale hardware they are using now, I only wish they were a bit wider.

I also came across a driver... Unfortunately Clay's legs don't move so they had to be amputated but for $10 I can't complain. Also picked him up a furry friend so has a companion to walk home with when his Ford breaks down
Old 12-22-2016, 12:15 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

Got most of the bumper done tonight. Would like to add a couple fog lights to fill in the gap.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Been a while since I've updated this build. I'm currently waiting on some parts for the rear cantilever suspension. As it stands I've got the levers pivoting on a bolt with plastic washers to allow movement. During the building stage this has been great but really won't last, as they wear it will just create play in the arms and that's not ideal. A few weeks ago I ordered a bunch of 3mm thrust washers off eBay to take care of this issue. Once these show up I'll be able to properly tune the rear and hopefully get it on the trail!
Old 01-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

Forgot to mention I added another brace and some fog lights to the bumper to fill it in. The exchange rate is killing me! Paid $33 for an axial light bucket kit. Last one I bought was around $23.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Still waiting on the slow boat from China for that hardware so I've been working on some finishing touches.

I spent some time on the rear bumper. Drilled some holes and added some mesh for the brake lights. I eventually plan to use an old servo to run some reverse lights as well. The aluminum also polished up nicely!

Old 05-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

My m3 thrust bearings showed up! I originally ordered these months ago and the first shipment never showed up. Now that I've got them installed I'm very happy with how smooth the cantilever suspension is working. Now I can play with the springs and make some bump stops to help with the tires rubbing on the bed.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #37

Looking good, might I suggest taking a black sharpie and outlining around the headlights to give them more separation from the body
Xporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xporter View Post
Looking good, might I suggest taking a black sharpie and outlining around the headlights to give them more separation from the body
Good call! I know I've got a parma detail pen kicking around here somewhere....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tags
6x6, ar60, firewood, ford, wood

Ar60 6x6 wood hauler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How about a cabover 6x6 hauler jj650 Multi Axle Rigs 42 04-04-2017 07:06 PM
6x6 Tamiya Knight Hauler? alexchen86 Multi Axle Rigs 3 10-13-2015 12:43 PM
JRP RC - The King Hauler 6X6 Juddp Scale Videos! 0 12-15-2013 09:11 AM
Wood hauler kennebell50 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 08-29-2009 02:41 PM