Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Large Farva

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Large Farva

I probably shouldn't start a build thread yet but some parts that I ordered shipped and will be here in a couple days. I've been lurking this section for a while and am way excited to get a 6x6 thread started.

The majority of the drivetrain is off of my F250 build and some other stuff I've been collecting for a while. I twisted the tube work on the F250 beyond it being acceptable in my eyes from a few pretty hard hits. Time to move on.

Parts;
SCX10 axles
Beef tubes in all 3
Beef Patties
Grip Fab Spools
VP lockouts
VP 8* chubs and knuckles
VP VVD's
HD UD gears in the rear axles, HD stock ratio up front
ToyZuki motor mount
Axial trans case and HR gears (more room for Brushless)
HH 2200kv puller pro on 4s
Mamba Monster X
7950 servo
VP links
Stretched axial chassis, tig welded
3d printed wheels with SLW hub pattern or LURC Gear Jammers
CI foams
PL Swamper XL's
90mm King shocks (only thing I currently have enough of to at least mock up)
Stretched and chopped King Hauler Cab
Gearhead visor
12.5/19" wheelbase

Plans are right now to use the sleeper cab and stretch it for a "camper". I'm going to plan this build around being able to swap out bed sections easily when wanted, so either flat bed, camper, tow rig, etc.

I'm heading over to a friends this weekend to weld up the chassis rails and 3rd axle mount tabs. Planning on spending some down time this weekend working on the cab as well. Hopefully will have a mock-up done by the new year.

And here's pic I found online of what I want the cab proportions to ultimately look like.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 12-27-2016 at 06:44 PM.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Large Farva

Almost looks like a "Pissed Off Pete" from Blastolene

Ought to be a fun build
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Almost looks like a "Pissed Off Pete" from Blastolene

Ought to be a fun build
Agreed. I sure hope this turns out pretty cool.

Aaaand it's done! Time to go take it for a spin!

LOL, parts arrived about an hour ago. I'll have a nice, quiet 3 day weekend to get started and an upcoming "vacation" to make some serious progress.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Managed to get the center axle put together tonight. Was quite a bit more effort than I expected diving in to it. Thankfully I was "prepared" (read: RC Hoarder) with some extra parts.

The Grip Fab ARB spool I've been saving for a while that I thought would add some nice, slightly extra weight didn't fit the ring gear. So it wound up with an HR spool
The Beef Tubes had to be filed on the ring gear side to avoid rubbing on the axle flange
I worked a little more on the body but decided after a few adult beverages it wouldn't be a good idea to cut the nose off, or the roof. I'll save that for this weekend.
Tomorrow I'll figure out the chassis so I can fab the rear axle link mounts and get it all welded together Sunday. Goal is to have a roller by the end of Monday. Also need to figure out which of the rear trusses I have will work and trim off the extra link mounts.
I also managed to dig out a set of Axial aluminum rear honcho links that I'm going to use for mock up. Eventually it'll have VP links all around.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Happy New Year to anyone that may be reading. Got some chassis extensions welded in today and started on the cab stretching. It's still a long way from done. The suspension is all wrong with the axles too far apart and goofy geometry, but it helped me visualize the end goal. The cab needs to sit lower and there's obviously still a lot of work to be completed, but it's at least a start.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Minor update. I'm gathering up a bunch of parts for my upcoming week off of work. I also saw the other day that RPP started up their own off-road King Hauler build, so I had to step it up a bit.

I didn't really care for how the stretched nose started, so I bought 2 more cabs to play with. It'll now be a 4 door and with the rear doors being "square" rather than sloped like the fronts.
Also picked up another set of Gear Jammers I'll be sending off to a friend in Portland, Oregon for Cerakoting to match the rear. Also picked up another set of Axial Icon Shocks to make a full set of 6 and thought I'd try out one of the Woodchuck 4 wood center axle trusses.

Large Farva - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LARGE scale R/C's! Very LARGE! CBR Chit Chat 9 04-16-2009 11:55 AM
Need a large body blt-2-drg Non Crawler RC's 0 02-09-2009 06:44 PM