Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Unimog 6x6 with portals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Unimog 6x6 with portals

Wow! Fantastic work, those axles really complete the package, and so cool to see someone build a functioning torque tube.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #102
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Wow! Fantastic work, those axles really complete the package, and so cool to see someone build a functioning torque tube.

Thanks! I'm trying to do the axles as close as possible while maintaining strength and also as the gears allow

I think I've ever only saw 2 RC unimogs with torquetubes and I'm seeing why.

Yesterday did one that was on my head for a while: How to extend the diff pinion shaft.

On SCX10 gears, this would be easier: a longer shaft where the pinion fit...the pinion on scx10.2 has the shaft incorporated. So, I had the option of welding a shaft but would have to repeat that if I wanted to change the pinion. There was not space inside the torquetube to do something with a grub screw holding the 2 parts

So, the idea replaces the grub screw with a 2.5mm metal rod,hammered in the ends, like a rivet. This way, I can replace the pinion shaft and bearings

Last edited by cooper_xl; 06-05-2022 at 05:43 PM.
cooper_xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Great work! That was a smart move making it rebuildable, and the parts are all looking very beefy!!! Cant wait to see this come together.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #104
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Great work! That was a smart move making it rebuildable, and the parts are all looking very beefy!!! Cant wait to see this come together.

Thank you! I got a visit from future me, saying to do that to save headaches . I'm trying to do the best I can because this whole system will not be easy to service. There will not be quick repairs. But will be unique and cool, I think

Well. The bearings finally came ! just ordered them in the 1st of May, no big deal

With those, I could fit the gears properly,see where they are rubbing and also fitted the driveshafts

Also, did these reinforcement rods, like the real one has

Old 09-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

I've been following this build for a couple years, and you just keep on impressing me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
I've been following this build for a couple years, and you just keep on impressing me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Oh Thank you! this truck it's a never ending project project. Maybe I'll stop after the torquetubes and new axles . But,honestly, is the most fun truck I have.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #107
Rock Crawler

I think it could be called a milestone:

https://youtu.be/Y5J4jT6oPAs
Old 09-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #108
Rock Crawler

this is a close-up of the housing. 0.2 layer height
Old 10-06-2020, 11:34 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

So you dont really mention other than on page one(you used a service), but do you use a print service or your own machine?
The detail is amazing and the improvements keep getting better and scaler. If you print yourself, what printer, and what support structure/part orientation do you use to print so well/detailed?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
So you dont really mention other than on page one(you used a service), but do you use a print service or your own machine?
The detail is amazing and the improvements keep getting better and scaler. If you print yourself, what printer, and what support structure/part orientation do you use to print so well/detailed?

Thanks! I've used the services of a company until I got my own printer and things got better. It's way better to model and print right away. See and correct the mistakes.

The printer is a lightly modified Creality Ender 3. The part orientation depends pretty much on the part. I could print vertically to have better detail but the axle would be weaker. I'm printing them horizontally, good supports, specially the "roof support" that is set to 99% to give good underside detail. I'm pretty new using ASA so I'm still tinkering with settings

Anyway,printed the 3rd axle and it's in place(need to take pics), 2nd axle is still being modeled. Didn't have the time to sit and finish it properly.

But I've made this:

You may not remember but my steering was like this:

https://youtu.be/4iCBtbEOgjg

It was to try to make it more scale and also hide the servo. Well, it kind of worked. Even with a 25kg servo, it seemed to lack torque and in bad spots, the servo just won't turn the wheels. Besides, tie-rods hit each other.
So, simple is better and now the servo is mounted on the bumper. Made 2 brass mounts and the servo is angled to clear the bottom of the cab and also the servo horn(+rod-end) clear the steering rod
Old 10-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Hi people!

Now that the 3rd axle is in place with proper links, tackled the most difficult axle, the 2nd. Figured the angle difference between the 2 shafts via basic prototypes and then did the full axle model

This is one of halves:
Old 11-01-2020, 02:57 AM   #112
Rock Crawler

Well,printed one of this axle halves horizontally like the other axles but ended being weak on the portal box end,so tried something new.

Printing vertically will make both ends stronger and better finished but the tube weaker so enlarged the bore in the model to accept a 8mm tube drilled to clear the shaft

Let's see if it holds...
Old 11-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #113
Rock Crawler

Late night work to get to this point:

Unfortunately,couldn't find a way to make a torquetube for the 3rd axle. A regular driveshaft will have to do...
Old 12-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #114
Rock Crawler

final stretch:

Fitted a new and stronger 1:5 planetary gearbox because the old one was too slow(1:9)

And assembled almost everything to do some real world tests

After this, I'll disassemble everything to paint the chassis and mount the spare, fuel tank and exhaust
Old 12-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #115
Rock Crawler

Nothing better than real world testing:

https://youtu.be/O1hQQPV4inc
Old 12-20-2020, 04:33 AM   #116
Rock Crawler

I took it apart to fix some things and paint the chassis. Was to paint the wheels but paint ran out...Someone told to paint it black but...all chassis are black...

Did the fuel tank mounts in TPU to bend instead of breaking like the old ones...

I'm in the process of assemble each axle with proper bolts,gear mesh and correct tolerances. Also, I'm adding lights which are my Achilles heel. Not hard stuff but not a big fan
Old 01-01-2021, 06:07 AM   #117
Rock Crawler

As the first post of 2021, a small thing I've done some time ago and put aside until now. It's 3D printed and the bends were done with heat.

https://youtu.be/5X5MtLkBsDo
Old 01-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #118
Rock Crawler

A curiosity:

3D printing is a awesome tool but not everything can came out like it should. Sealed Bearings are tricky pieces and demand precision. On the first axles, used the Dremel to proper seat the pinion bearings but was much of a guesswork.To little and the axles halves doesn't close, too much and the bearing gets loose

Did this improvised cutter with the right diameter and spacing:

Simply fit it and screw the halves while rotating the tool. There's no chance of cutting too much
Old 04-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

Forgot to post the small test drive to test everything

Old 04-23-2021, 01:56 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

There's not much to do on this truck,besides finish the lights(which I'm doing in the right mood )

I've got some AK weathering pencils and wanted to try them. Saw the mirrors scratched from the trails and decided to apply some rust instead of touching up with OD green

This is my first try to do rust

Unimog 6x6 with portals - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx unimog 6x6 JOTE Multi Axle Rigs 13 06-28-2013 07:18 AM
6x6 unimog davebarlow13 General Scale Talk 0 11-06-2009 08:58 AM
scaled down portals from a unimog? redneckwelder General Crawlers 6 05-08-2008 11:49 AM
Unimog U500 6x6 Wild trial 1.9 Scale Rigs 24 11-26-2007 05:37 PM