Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Perkul8r's basic 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Perkul8r's basic 6x6

I've been looking at a lot of the 6x6 builds for a while now. Wanting to do my own. I finally had enough spare parts I decided to give it a shot.

Its just a basic scx10 6x6 for now, but we all know how that goes in this hobby. My plan for right now is just to get it into a useable truck and go from there.

Here's what I got so far:

Custom Crawl RC 6x6 chassis
Stock scx10 axles, tires & wheels, shocks, esc/motor for now.
Scx10 Power wagon body
Axial rear cage

I wanted to go with an easy setup for the body as I have never done anything custom. I have watched and looked at Benders Customs truck where they used the honcho rear cage. I liked it so I went that route also. I did use the Axial Dodge cab though. I like it a bit more than the Honcho cab for a 6x6.

As it sits right now, I have the body ready, and the chassis is a roller. I just need to start getting the electronics mounted than I can go test.

I used the home made method of making my links. Found some all thread and aluminum tubing at the hardware store. Which is amazing for where I live lol.

Perkul8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Perkul8r's basic 6x6

After getting the truck into a roller I went to work on the body. Once I got the body sitting right, I had a little issue. I wanted to use both rear tire carriers on the cage plastics. But the center axle shock hoops where in the way.

I ended up trimming them up and now it fits fine.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Very nice. How much was the chassis I've been working tords saving up enough parts to build a 6x6. Very nice cab. Are you going to to put boat sides?
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Very nice. How much was the chassis I've been working tords saving up enough parts to build a 6x6. Very nice cab. Are you going to to put boat sides?
I think the chassis was around $60. But that may have changed. I ordered one right before he redesigned them to this one. Its a nice solid chassis. Only slight downside, if you wanna call it that, is the rear of the chassis is bigger than the stock chassis. It makes the body set up just a touch higher than if it were on a stock chassis.

I am not sure yet what I am gonna do on the sides. Its still a work in progress lol.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

How did you mount the lower links of the third axle. I'm building one and I'm getting stuck there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blarouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The chassis I have has a drop down for link mounts. You can see it in this pic behind the center axle.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

So you ran them both out the the frame rail?

Old 02-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yes. I used the mounting points in the drop down parts. It works great for this chassis. Obviously I wont be able to tell if there are any downsides to doing it this way till I actually get it out and use it. But the little testing I did indoors it seem to work fine.

Also...I dont know what chassis you are using for your build. The one I am using is a custom chassis.

This is how the links look with it mounted.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Ok thansk

Old 02-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I like the chassis. For my scx10 6x6 bullhead build i used a stretched scx10 framerails. I connected my links to my frame rails also. However i like that dropdown link mount on this chassis.
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Can you mount the rear wheels a little closer to each other. 2nd and 3rd axle. Think that would look better.
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I can make them closer, and I might now that I changed tires too. I was going to use the axial trepadors that I used for mocking up everything. However, they rub the dodge body alot. After looking at my brother in laws stock Power wagon scx10 I see they use the ripsaw tires which are a little shorter than the trepadors.

I ordered up the ripsaws as my trepadors went on my stock deadbolt when it got sold, so we will see how it sits when I get those. Nice than is I can shorten my links no problem. The center axle is about as far back as I would like to go. At certain points when going through full suspension travel it just barely rubs on those drop downs. However the rear axle can come forward. Will have to see what it looks like when I get the tires and get back into a roller.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Figured I should throw an update on this if anyone ever looks at it for info.

I finally finished up the truck. Threw in a Novak Brushless crawler setup, stock rtr servo, and stock rx/tx. Truck was setup great. Had ok wheel speed for only running 2s. Only thing it really needed was longer front shocks due to the design on the chassis. But the last thing I needed was more flew with the Dodge body.

Sadly, I ended up selling this truck as I was moving.

But here is the truck shortly before I sold it.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Of course some flex shots...at least they are not on a bench lol.

And to top it all off....I sold it to a guy that actually got to take it to a comp. He let his GF drive the truck. It was her first time ever in a comp, and first time driving the truck. It took 3rd in their 1.9 class, and 1st in the womens. And it got posted on the Axial Instagram page.

So now that I have been settled into my new home for a while, looks like its time to build another one lol.

Last edited by Perkul8r; 07-16-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Check out the homebrew 6x6 chassis for your next one. Nice looking rig
149 r/c worx team driver

Last edited by snapon boy; 07-16-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Check out the homebrew 6x6 chassis for your next one. Nice looking rig
149 r/c worx team driver
I've been constantly watching your build. Its kinda hard to decide which chassis to use. There are so many good ones out there now. Maybe I should just build one with each lol.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'm in the process of getting a gopro camera to put up some better videos. Thanks for following along. I'm sure which ever chassis you pick when your done it will be awesome

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

So been wanting to do another 6x6 for a while, but got talking to the guy that owned my old one. After some time and working out a deal, I got it back.

Its pretty much exactly like i left it. Which is nice. It was solid setup as it was. But now I am gonna change up a few things and get it back to what I was wanting to do before.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Started with my changes tonight meant a full tear down.

The biggest change is going to be the chassis and length lol. Earlier this year I got another chassis from Custom Crawl while he was still doing some, but went with a stock style chassis.

Currently waiting on a couple parts to get further. And also going out of town this weekend so I will be able to hit up a hobby shop and get some new rod ends for making links. If everything goes right, I will only need to make the center and rear links.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Started getting some parts in for the truck. Got my shock hoops and shocks. Also grabbed 2 strc rear chassis brace's. The plastic ones worked, but had a little play in them so wanted something a bit sturdier.

Ordered a trans from a guy on here, and need to order a couple other little things. Hopefully will be getting parts by the end of the week so I can work on it more.

Perkul8r's basic 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to Basic. Wilson Axial SCX-10 1 07-12-2015 03:41 PM
Scratch 6x6 trials **UPDATE.. Now MAN-KAT 6x6** dankycrawler Multi Axle Rigs 37 04-18-2013 02:09 PM
Basic Bully 00racer RC4WD Bully 55 04-26-2012 12:27 PM