Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Independent Suspension on five axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #1

Default Independent Suspension on five axles

Has anyone tried doing a replica of the Oshkosh TAK-4 independent suspension? And if so, do you have any tips for it?

I am trying it with the front end from a Stampede for suspension, but the differential from a Revo (Because I can make Passthroughs out of it easier than the Stampede diff) (Which isn't quite fitting into the stub-shafts...the spool is 6mm, the shafts are 5mm...) It looks like it should work with the custom frame I built, but I need to get the drive-system worked out.
Lord_Fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #2

Default Re: Independent Suspension on five axles

So, having spoken to several people who have worked on similar rigs to what I am building, I have decided to follow the 1:1 example and go back to straight axles.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The capo 8x8 has a complete independent setup.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Fabricator View Post
Has anyone tried doing a replica of the Oshkosh TAK-4 independent suspension? And if so, do you have any tips for it?

I am trying it with the front end from a Stampede for suspension, but the differential from a Revo (Because I can make Passthroughs out of it easier than the Stampede diff) (Which isn't quite fitting into the stub-shafts...the spool is 6mm, the shafts are 5mm...) It looks like it should work with the custom frame I built, but I need to get the drive-system worked out.
When I was fiddling with my slash 4x4's in south korea... I ordered the wrong shafts once. You can get the x-01 shafts. they are 6mm.

I'm not totally sure they will be the right length though. I would check on the traxxas forum to see if anybody has used the 4x4 shafts on the stampede. They are the pretty expensive metal cvd's traxxas sells.

if you don't want to go that route though, it wouldn't cost you much to have the outputs turned down to 5mm.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

I actually am going back to straight axles (following the 1:1 I'm replicating, which would have (had it not been a 1-off) converted to straight axles like the rest of the models using the same chassis. It's an Oshkosh MMRS (of which the most common version is the PLS, I'm making the Demonstrator version.)

However, to get the width, and the suspension correct for it, I am going to still be using the stampede axles, inside a custom straight housing. I'll need to make the bearing holders at the ends of the axle, but that's basically just a square end cap with a hole drilled into it.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I drove a PLS in south korea. But it was a M1075. Care to share pictures of what you are trying to replicate?
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #7

https://oshkoshdefense.com/video/mmrs-demonstrator/

This is the one I'm trying to replicate. As it was a one-off, getting any really good details about after the demonstration is difficult.

https://oshkoshdefense.com/vehicles/lvsr-mkr18-cargo/

This is where I went for more details on the 10x10 chassis. And then working off what my Ex-Army Diesel Mechanic Coworkers explained that the TAK-4 would break down almost immediately in real-world conditions, so they would replace it with straight axles (Which doesn't appear to be something that Oshkosh wants to advertise...)

Independent Suspension on five axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K.O.M.'s Full Independent Suspension 1.55 K.O.M. 1.5 Scale Rigs 33 07-27-2014 03:06 AM
need help - independent suspension brianw General Scale Talk 3 03-27-2013 11:32 PM
independent suspension tlt??? murdock Chit Chat 6 06-28-2006 09:20 AM