Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Beast II w/C1 Comp Body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RC4WD Beast II w/C1 Comp Body

Built an RC4WD Beast II kit late last year. Joined a fledgling crawling club in Jan this year and have run my 6x6 on two comp days now.

Until an ultra-scale class is introduced, I'll keep coming near the end of the field, especially with that wide front bar, but it's a bunch of fun every time (linkage breakages aside :/).

From last Sunday: https://youtu.be/WLT1qH8q_X4
cragv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: RC4WD Beast II w/C1 Comp Body

Thanks

Some build info - I didn't include this as I posted on my phone earlier:

My RC4WD Beast II kit took me about 60 hours to build, with over 100 body pieces, plus scores more in the drive-train, chassis and electronics. Have since spent another 40+ hours on details and general tinkering; possibly much longer, even!

Vehicle kit: RC4WD Beast II 6x6 Truck Kit

Exhaust system: http://rcsmokers.com

Sound: ESS-ONE+

Properly cable managed & waterproof to top of side windows (after that it's in a bit of trouble!).

Full time 6WD, all 3 axles locked and 2 speed transmission with high and low range. Full metal drive-train with an 80T brushed motor and 11t pinion.

Originally ran a RC4WD 55T motor & brushed ESC (the latter of which I regret - no drag brake from a crawling company!?) and the 14 tooth pinion gear provided with the kit. Have now changed to an 80T motor and 11 tooth pinion - it's slow but so much more scale-appropriate and even so, it *still* runs out of torque on some challenges!

A 4-channel TS4G radio, RC4WD winch on rear and home-built job on the front, mid-mounted; Pro-line bar light and finally, the comp body I scratch-built from 2mm styrene.

Steering is managed by a 35kg waterproof servo running directly off the 2S LiPO. 2-speed transmission is managed simply by a waterproof Traxxas 5056 servo.

Its party trick is a microprocessor-controlled vibration motor that rumbles and shakes the truck when it starts up, complimented by smoke and engine start sound. It times out with the sound kit too, so it rumbles while in idle only then shakes off when the engine cuts out after a minute of inactivity on the throttle channel.

Original front:

Winch has been relocated to rear of vehicle while mid-mounted winch takes care of front winching duties; both wireless and switched on the chassis so the one controller can run both.

Original tray:

Now removed in favour of the scratch-built comp tray

Comp tray:

Those wheels!!

The wheels alone each consist of 64 individual components! Oh, those nuts and screws are tiny!

Cab:

Waterproofed the rear of the cab with hot glue along the inside joins, ensuring its waterproof to the top.

All electronics are built into the rear part of the cab:

Prior to cable management:

(It's now neatly hidden)

Few more pics and clips from last weekend's comp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBdtldDEtpw
Old 06-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

Pretty awesome how well it did in the video, I just recently got one in a trade and love it. Did you do anything to get more articulation out of the truck ?
Subieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subieboi View Post
Pretty awesome how well it did in the video, I just recently got one in a trade and love it. Did you do anything to get more articulation out of the truck ?
Not yet, no. Stock suspension and geometry. Have a few ideas in mind but am inclined to keep it stock and build a more capable multi axle rig from better parts (ie. Scx10 or similar).

RC4WD Beast II w/C1 Comp Body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc4wd beast body build? whitrzac Paint and Body 1 02-02-2016 03:31 PM