Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Custom M1088 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Custom M1088 6x6

Truck is actually a M1083, we decided to add a cargo bed with sides.

This build has been on and off for the past couple of weeks, this week being the most progress so far. It's all spare parts other than what we print. I'll start from the beginning and will update this post with build specs as we progress!

Electronics:

Tekin RX4
Tekin ROC412 HD
Spektrum SR2000
G.T.Power sound/light system (yay diesel noises)
Lots of LEDs
2S LiPo

Chassis:

3/8" aluminum c-channel (plywood trim)
Axial SCX10-II split transmission
Axial SCX10 axles
Axial SCX10 shocks, shortened about 10mm internally
Vanquish SCX10 bumper mount
Vanquish 3-link mount

All the mounts are 3D printed in house, some going through a few revisions before we ended up happy. As of now, we have the transmission mounts, servo mounts, center transfer case/link mounts, front axle track bar mount and rear axle link mounts complete.

Body:

The M1088 cab and flatbed are in the final phases of design before we go to print. I don't have any pics of it yet, but it's going to be one bad adventure/recovery rig.

Wheels & Tires

PL Baja KR2s
Axial 8-hole beadlocks with custom lock rings/wheel covers

The chassis setup is easy to work with and all the parts either key into it or wrap around the outside like a clamp. This makes mock-up super easy and we can move everything around freely until we finalize positions and drill holes, but that won't happen until the cab and bed pieces are printed. Then I can get the upper shock mounts done up and finally have it sitting on its own.

Couple things to finish up, first being the transfer case. It needs an output shaft, but I think I have a solution that will work pretty well involving a transmission lower shaft and some cutting. Once that is done, I can cut the drive shaft to connect them. After that the drive train will be finished and I can move onto the flat bed mounts, rear bumper and of course get the cab finished up. Lots more to do, but it's coming along!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 05-14-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

Default Re: Custom M1088 6x6

Sub'd! I love the Stewart and Stevenson! Always wanted to build one
kbzx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Got a bit more done on the truck, the rails are cut to length, upper frame is done and all holes drilled and tapped for it. We printed some longer links for the mid axle and set the wheelbase to right about 334mm at what I *think* will be the finished ride height. Just need to trim a tiny bit for the battery pack to fit down between the rails and print the holders.

I also figured out an awesome way to put an input shaft on the transfer case with minimal modification, just requires drilling one 7/32" hole for the shaft. All you need is a second output shaft and use it for the top input! I then turned my attention to the transmission lower shaft, where I drilled out the small pin hole, cut the end of the shaft and used a WB8 coupler to clear the rear transmission mount. Cut that short shaft to length and connected the trans to the t-case! I also went with Bomber WB8 HD shafts, since we needed the extra length to reach the mid axle. The driveline is all in and turning smoothly, just need to add the rear driveshaft once the axle is set in the proper spot, which I am waiting on the shocks and the rear bumper and fenders to do so. Hopefully will be printing those rear pieces and the bed joists today and tomorrow.

We got the mock-up front bumper, cab tray and front fenders done and sitting about where they should be. The nice thing about the c-channel and the way we designed everything is it is all movable once clipped on, so we can set everything before drilling any holes and make sure it all lines up with the wheels up front. It's coming together piece by piece, I'm hoping to have the chassis wrapped up by next week, then we can finish the bed and start in on the cab!
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Properly linked rear tandem axles are so sexy, and your driveline solutions are too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Couple more bits, got the ESC box done and mounted, rear drive shaft cut and installed, wheel hexes on, last pair of shocks (will likely be swapping them front and rear) new panhard mount and the start of the rear bumper assembly. Fuel tank for the other side is printing right now and will house the sound/light controller and the receiver. JK for size reference, seems not so big until we get the bed and cab done!
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
Oppan Gangnam Style

Looks big.

I like big.

Looking forward to the completed body, good to see more 6x6 rigs being built, they are fun!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Seems legit....

First time I've seen the divorced SCX10-II transfer case... I like it.

Can't wait for that motor to be available!
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Today the ESC box (I think it's compressors on the real truck) was finished as well as the fuel tank which will house the receiver and light/sound controller. The first bed truss fits perfect over the battery. The rest of the trusses and the side tool boxes are up next, then the rest of the bed floor, then the side panels and after those are dialed we can focus on getting the cab done. Also sent the roof rack setup over at Shapeways for production, hopefully it will be in my possession in about a week and a half! Think I will get all the electronics in tomorrow and see how the chassis behaves just for fun!
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #9

This is an awesome start!

What 3D design software is shown in the screenshot above? I don't believe I've ever seen that one.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This is an awesome start!

What 3D design software is shown in the screenshot above? I don't believe I've ever seen that one.
Thanks! We should have the bed wrapped up this week!

That's just 3D Builder on Windows 10, everything has been designed in Solidworks.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Bed is just about done! Rear bumper and wheel covers are mounted! All trusses are in and mounted, bed floors are mounted, tool boxes are in, just need to print the doors for them. Bed sides up next, then on to the air intake and tire carrier area behind the cab! Battery swaps won't be too bad with the access door we added in and a 2S fits perfect.

Took it for a short test drive, all I can say is I can't wait to have this thing finished up and the wheels and tires on, smiling ear to ear the whole time. 6x6 traction is way too much fun and the diesel sounds from the sound module give it so much more attitude!
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Still trucking away on the build, meanwhile the tires and light bars have shown up from Pro-Line! Super sticky G8 compound BFG Baja KR2s! These tires are going to be perfect for this truck, I can't wait to mount them up! The light bars will be perfect for the roof rack, this truck will be lighting up the night.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 05-23-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Today, we're making wheels! Well, lock rings that are also a hub cap and mount on the Axial 8-hole bead lock wheels. This was a quick design and I think it came out awesome! Now we can utilize all the wheels I have laying around. Once all 7 print they'll get some paint and be assembled. The Bajas are going to be the perfect tire and the size is dead on for scale. Inching closer every day!

I also stumbled upon a legit M1083 here in town yesterday, owned by the good people at TwoifOverland.com! They are traveling all over and plan to take the truck clear up into Alaska as well as the southern tip of South America. I was so excited to get to see it up close, very awesome overland expedition rig.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 05-23-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Bed sides and tailgate are done and painted flat green, also painted the cab tub and front flares flat black. This green is going to be perfect and the cab will be matched. Once we get the air intake and spare tire area done behind the cab the whole chassis will get painted flat black.

Got the wheels and tires finished up this afternoon, 156 screws later and could not be happier with the look! These Baja KR2s are perfect size for this rig, loving the stance.

Last but not least, the exo-cage showed up from Shapeways today and it turned out excellent! Mounted up a 4" Pro-Line light bar on the front and two 2" bars on the sides. Can't wait to see it on the cab!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 05-23-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #15
KMS
Rock Crawler

Looking really good Ty .. Good choice for tires ,Wheels awesome ,You should be getting something from me any day ,,
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Awesome build, yeah I love the wheel covers any chance you mite print off a couple more sets?
PERCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I think I'm in love! 😍
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Nicely done Ty!
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Finished a few more parts today! The spare tire area is done, just need to work on a strap to hold it down and the oil tank came out really nice. Made some quick mudflaps too, I don't expect them to last long just like the real thing. Also used a failed tailgate piece as a headache rack, always nice to save a part here and there! Intake snorkel is up tomorrow and then it's finally time to get cracking on the cab and finish this beast.

Yep, tires are dirty because I've driven it a few times. Can't help myself! Scale dirt.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 05-23-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Bad news; broke the printer last week.

Good news; fixed broken printer and made moar partz!

After plenty of messed up parts and cussing out our machine, we figured out some derps set it up wrong It's fixed, updated and printing like a champ again! The intake canister and snorkel came out nice, as did the small reservoir next to it. The ESC box lid is done and painted, painted the straps on the fuel tank receiver box and just pulled the battery door off the print bed! Tomorrow we finally start in on the huge assembly that will be the cab and interior. Miraculously the printer behaved all day long today, I'm hoping that is the new trend so I can get this truck done!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 05-23-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Custom M1088 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Globeliner 6x6 dan.loeb Multi Axle Rigs 15 03-15-2013 07:56 PM
fj40 and custom 6x6 MadMax Videos! 2 03-19-2007 12:03 PM