Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Cross-rc Hc6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cross-rc Hc6

Got the 5 ton out and bought it back in before i went through a pack. That 45turn motor that comes with it is a complete puke, dont even bother with it if you get one. Replaced it with a 35 turn gool rc motor i had laying around, much better.

Not sure if it's the tires, (which are very hard, next step is plastic) or the weight of it or a combo of both but it doesn't do soft/beach sand on a incline at all. Seems to do normal trailing just fine.

It seems to have allot of gear noise, i took apart the axles and shimed them. Something i should have done to begin with, but they needed it badly. Seemed to help with some of the gear noise, the rest is in the transmission. Not really a deal killer, almost has a 1:1 creeper 1st gear sound.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #22
RCC Addict

It sure looks good! Curious if a little more wheelspeed would help the incline problem.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Hey

Thanks for your heads up on the motor & tires; I just pulled the trigger for one of these off fleabay, so I need to do some preparation before it gets here.

If you don't mind I have some questions.

Standard size servos for steering and transmission?

I'm thinking a Power HD Waterproof (#DW-25LV) for steering;
  • 25.0 kg-cm (347.2 oz/in);
  • 40.0 x 20.0 x 38.8 mm ( 1.57 x 0.79 x 1.53 in)

and Power HD Waterproof (#LW-20MG) for shifting, (Way overpowered, I know, but 'normal' waterproof would only save me couple bucks, so...;)
  • 20.0 kg-cm (277.7 oz/in);
  • 40.7 x 20.5 x 39.5 mm ( 1.60 x 0.80 x 1.55 in)

What size shims did you use, 6, 7 or 8mm? (not knowing any better, I assume those are inside diameters.)

Is the front plate/chassis brace/cross member sized to put a scale (working) winch on? (78 x 27 x 30 mm )

Is that front plate where you had problems with the holes on the frame not lining up? If so, Cross hasn't fixed that from the HC4 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVv7v_CfJFw at about 9:30. )

What is the pitch on the pinion/spur?

Thanks in advance.
Bl-air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post
Got all the parts assembled and painted, wow what a task. Nothing was hard to understand, but just alot of stuff to do.

Great job on the paint work

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sgt.Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:10 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
It sure looks good! Curious if a little more wheelspeed would help the incline problem.
I'm sure more wheel speed would help but it doesn't seem to do just sand. Even small hills stop it fast. Areas with grass roots and what not it seems to do ok. You can hear the hard tires just slipping on stuff.

I was curious about the top speed so i put my phone in the back. Best i could muster on a 2s with the 35 turn was 6mph

Old 09-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl-air View Post
Hey

Thanks for your heads up on the motor & tires; I just pulled the trigger for one of these off fleabay, so I need to do some preparation before it gets here.

If you don't mind I have some questions.

Standard size servos for steering and transmission?

I'm thinking a Power HD Waterproof (#DW-25LV) for steering;
  • 25.0 kg-cm (347.2 oz/in);
  • 40.0 x 20.0 x 38.8 mm ( 1.57 x 0.79 x 1.53 in)

and Power HD Waterproof (#LW-20MG) for shifting, (Way overpowered, I know, but 'normal' waterproof would only save me couple bucks, so...;)
  • 20.0 kg-cm (277.7 oz/in);
  • 40.7 x 20.5 x 39.5 mm ( 1.60 x 0.80 x 1.55 in)

What size shims did you use, 6, 7 or 8mm? (not knowing any better, I assume those are inside diameters.)

Is the front plate/chassis brace/cross member sized to put a scale (working) winch on? (78 x 27 x 30 mm )

Is that front plate where you had problems with the holes on the frame not lining up? If so, Cross hasn't fixed that from the HC4 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVv7v_CfJFw at about 9:30. )

What is the pitch on the pinion/spur?

Thanks in advance.
For the steering servo i used a new promodeler 470 servo. Running it at the hobbywing 1080 7.4 volt setting so im not sure how much torque i have but it definitely is a overkill for this application.

The transmission servo is a standard size servo. Im useing a power hd 1501, which i think was around 220oz of torque?

For the axles i used the shims that where all ready in the axles. The shims on mine where set to put the gears as far away from each other as possible. So i swithed the shims around to get the gears as close as possible without any binding.

I'll have to check the size of the front crossmember, but i didn't have and holes in the wrong location. Just holes that had to much of what ever coating they have on the frame and had to open the size up a bit to get the screws to go through.

The transmission uses 32 pitch

Old 10-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Have to make a correction along with some updates.

Was out on a trail run at the house and it started making some weird noises from the transfer case. When i flipped it over most of the screws that hold it together where loose/coming out. After a long walk back carrying that heavy thing i discovered i never put locktite on the threads when i took it apart to grease it up, my bad. Easiest way to get to the transfer case was to pop the motor out. Thats when i noticed the gears are not 32p which i posted earlier, but look like 48p. After getting the transfer case all set i was checking the transmission for wear, which looked good by the way. I noticed that the transmission gears look like 48p with a deeper cut on them. The mesh seems ok, but i didnt try any of my 48p ones to verify.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I have roughly 25 miles on the 5 ton and there are a few things that need attention.

The driveshafts themselves seem to be holding up good, nice and hard. The cross pin that is part of the universal kept slipping past the coiled part and finally lost part of the universal. Turns out the inner part is the exact match for a slash cvd.

I stopped the pin popping out by wrapping duct tape around the coiled area that keeps the pin in.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Another issue i have are the internal springs in the front shocks keep folding in half on the inside of the shock body. Not sure how this is happening, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Got some new tires for it as well. I wanted to keep around the same size and look. I chose rc4wd rock crushers II's. I put some CI foams in them to give them good support. Seemed good untill i tried to mount them. The bead area is thicker on the rc4wd ones, and the locking ring is a bit smaller then the tires need. I ended up gluing the tires to the locking rings to make them work.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Stopped by the hardware store and picked up some small coil springs to replace the stock ones in the shocks. Got some springs that have a larger diameter and stiffness. Then when i went to install them i noticed that the plastic leaf springs didn't hold up very well. Which would explain the saggy front, hence why I got stiffer coil springs.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Wow! Those leafs didn't hold up well at all. Did you torque down the bolts too much? Have you contacted Cross for replacements?
Bl-air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Im not sure i didn't tighten them to tight, even though it gave me a warning about doing just such a thing in the manual. After getting the other springs from the hardware store the ride height is good and the broken plastic leaf springs are just adding ride height. The rear leaf springs are a mixture of metal and plastic (every other one) and seem to be holding up better. Where the front was metal main and plastic for the rest. Maybe thats the trick to keep them from breaking. There is a hobby town in oshkosh Wisconsin which is a official cross-rc dealer but i haven't bothered contacting them for replacements yet because my fix seems to be working.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking rig!
I just developed an interest in these trucks and found this thread helpful, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

I have around 50 miles on the 5 ton now and decided to see what kind of wear i had.

The front axle gears look like i had them shimed to tightly. Dog bones and cups show minimal wear.

The most rearward axle gears show very little wearing.

The pass through axle gears show alot more wear then the other 2 do. Thinking ill order some replacement gears, but run these until failure to see how long they will last.

The driveshafts also show very little signs of any wear.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Ive been driving mine for awhile with really no issues.....i will say i had a weird issue ar first with an even weirder solution
The pass through axle ring gear thats mounted in the part the can be removed from the axle would skip if it was towards the rear axle....i flipped tge axle so tgat tge removable 3rd member was the input to the pass through axle and problem was solved....no idea why.....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #37

Too much drive shafts angle will cause lot of stress on articulation, may be diminishing attack angle will keep drive shafts more durable ?!
crawlerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Ran mine again .....and ive really had no issues .....i will say that better tires with hard foams and a higher turn motor than stock will bw added for sure and i i think the rcmodelex come up winch is a funtional replacement for the faux winch the truck comes with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cross-rc Hc6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross-Rc RCSlayRey General Crawlers 7 08-03-2016 03:47 PM
cross canyon timgreen82 General Scale Talk 1 02-12-2016 04:02 PM