RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Multi Axle Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/multi-axle-rigs/)
-   -   Jebster's 10x10 HEMTT rollback hauler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/multi-axle-rigs/594176-jebsters-10x10-hemtt-rollback-hauler.html)

jebster 01-29-2019 04:06 AM

Re: Jebster's 10x10 HEMTT rollback hauler

That is a nice looking body. I've given up finding one that will work that I can buy or 3d print myself so I order a big lot of styrene and plan on makings the cab myself. Haven't really done that much body work before so this will take awhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwdaveb (Post 5905543)
Been working on this body for some time now. Started with someone else design but didn't like allot of it, so doing my own. Think I'm going to make it a go anywhere camper. Like your ideas. Going to use that steering idea in the rear. Started out was going to be 1/16 with WPL axles. Now I've decided to do SCX10 axles, with one set coming from a scrapped AX10 Crawler. Hope you don't mind showing these in your post. The different colors are for me to help distinguish the differ parts.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...4548-66757.jpg

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...4548-66756.jpg

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...4548-66755.jpg

jebster 06-01-2019 06:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It's been a long time since I worked on this rig. Took it out for a test run and snapped the remaining piece of the GRU output shaft off. I guess the GRU just isn't meant for this much power. So I decided to change up the drivetrain. I had an ax2 tranny hand so I swapped that in. Had to run it through another transfer case to help reduce the gear ratio down. Plus having the 2 speed might be needed to give it any speed.

I also started prepping for the lower skid, floor and fenders. As you can see my plan is to bend up a single sheet of ABS so it will be a smooth continuous surface. Given the front sticks out over the wheels that should help it slide over surfaces.

jebster 06-02-2019 02:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the ABS sheet cut and bent. Fits well. Need to drill a couple holes to connect this to the frame.

Once I get this mounted I can start the rest of the body.

Evilsage 08-05-2019 07:40 AM

Wow, what a great build so far!

jebster 08-05-2019 11:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilsage (Post 5954530)
Wow, what a great build so far!

Thanks. Hard to believe i started this project over 1.5 years ago. Did a couple others during that time so this has been on the back burner off and on.

I have continued to male progress. Over the past week I did get started on the cab. I like working with styrene but I need to be patient. Plus I need to set my expectations appropriately. Seeing some of the masters on here and what they can do is a far cry from what I will probably accomplish.

A few pics of the cab as of today. As you can see i will have the windshield and roof swing forward to get access to the electronic including the battery. I'll also have a hatch to get to the motor.

jebster 08-14-2019 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was thinking about different tires for this rig. Came across a crazy idea.

jebster 08-16-2019 03:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got some more body work done. Cab front is held in place by magnets. Engine bay is hinged and will also be held shut with magnets.

Lots of finishing work, filling and sanding to go but it is taking shape.

chino 08-23-2019 04:45 AM

Very cool!

Natedog 08-30-2019 10:25 AM

Wow dude, coming along very nicely! Difficult for me waiting on parts, modifying, then figuring out the parts I fabbed are not up to my standards or thought of a better way to do it. :ror: Looking forward to your progress and updates! :)

jebster 09-15-2019 07:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It's getting there. Have all the mechanics up and running. Added a winch and lights to the bed, operated by the radio. Body is coming along too. Needs accessories and some filler, a little sanding then paint. I will be adding a simple interior to cover the electronics.

A video and some current pics.

https://youtu.be/wBGdNXKPCAU

jebster 09-22-2019 02:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Did a little more accessorizing. Exhaust, light bar and started a spare time rack.

bbrigg 09-22-2019 04:13 PM

How do you get the dual steering axles to work? 1:1 trucks have different length Ackerman linkage so that the forward wheels deflect a little less for tight turns. Is that needed on scale vehicles?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

jebster 09-22-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrigg (Post 5964283)
How do you get the dual steering axles to work? 1:1 trucks have different length Ackerman linkage so that the forward wheels deflect a little less for tight turns. Is that needed on scale vehicles?

If you look at post #19 there are pics that should help you see what I did. Both axles are 3-link with a panhard bar. I used a steering block for a tamiya semi on the chassis end, with both of those connected to a single servo. Works pretty well.

I know on full size rigs used different Ackerman for the axles but I always assumed the front axle would turn more. I'll have to do more research.

Right now mine runs both in parallel. They are turning to the limits of my knuckles so I can't increase the turning radius for either. But if dialing one back would actual make the rig turn better or cause less stress on steering linkages I could mess around with the lower arms on the chassis mounted steering blocks.

bbrigg 09-23-2019 06:23 PM

You did a great job putting this together and I would like to see some video of it in action.

I'm not sure how much better any slight change in steering angles would make your rig turn. I spent a year in Myanmar a couple of years ago and there are a lot of dual steer trucks there with either dual or triple axles at the rear. The reason for this is to reduce the front axle loading without having a long overhang at the rear. Only rarely do they run dually wheels so your rig reminded me of them.

On the steering linkage the rears do turn a little more. Since that axle will inscribe a slightly smaller circle than the front axle it makes sense. With the low actual loading on a scale vehicle I'm not sure just how worthwhile it would be from a turn radius/tire scrub/linkage stress standpoint but it would sure look cool.

jebster 09-24-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrigg (Post 5964596)
You did a great job putting this together and I would like to see some video of it in action.

I'm not sure how much better any slight change in steering angles would make your rig turn. I spent a year in Myanmar a couple of years ago and there are a lot of dual steer trucks there with either dual or triple axles at the rear. The reason for this is to reduce the front axle loading without having a long overhang at the rear. Only rarely do they run dually wheels so your rig reminded me of them.

On the steering linkage the rears do turn a little more. Since that axle will inscribe a slightly smaller circle than the front axle it makes sense. With the low actual loading on a scale vehicle I'm not sure just how worthwhile it would be from a turn radius/tire scrub/linkage stress standpoint but it would sure look cool.

Thanks. this is a fun project and i'm always having to tweak the design.

and you are probably right about the steering. while it is heavy I would expect it doesn't scale up to be comparable to the weight a 1:1 10x10 HEMTT is carrying so my turning radius is probably good.

I've only done a couple quick runs to check out drivetrain but once I get it to a reasonable level of completeness i'll get it out and have some action video.

jebster 10-02-2019 01:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It keep moving along. Made up a center skid and the spare tire rack.
I slapped the wheels on and took it out for a spin. I'm liking it! Did learn or confirm a few things:
- The shocks need firmer springs. I'm thinking slash front blue springs will be better.
- Definitely need much firmer foams in the tires. I'll check out CI but given I need 10 I'll see if there is a homebrew solution.
- Given the turning radius is not surprisingly less than I would like I'm thinking of adding steering to the last axle. I think I can tuck a low profile servo back there. I can set it up like the front two axles with 3-link and a panhard bar. It will require some creativity but I think I can make it work.

Now for a couple pics and videos.

https://youtu.be/n1HZwwHfijI

https://youtu.be/HwByNzdTzKE

jebster 10-04-2019 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After looking it over I think I can add steering to the last axle. I have the axle parts, would just need a low profile servo, a servo stretcher (so I can adjust center/end points separately since it will run on the same channel as the existing steering) and some beef tubes so I can clock the knuckles to where I need them.

jebster 10-14-2019 05:34 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Got a low profile servo mounted up at the back of the rig to steer the last axle. I need to work up a panhard so I can run a 3 link setup like my front two axles. I also got my servo stretcher (mounted next to the motor for access) which will allow me to adjust center and endpoints for this servo. I did notice the servo moves very choppy, almost like the resolution of the radio system is not very fine. The hobbyporter radio works well for the price but this is probably something I will have to live with.

Also got to work on the cab interior. It is going to be pretty simple but give the impression of a real cab. Primarily needs to have access to hide the battery behind a bench seat.

Started on some additional exterior accessories. Made the side mirror mounts.

MeanTT 10-21-2019 02:49 PM

This is really amazing. Nice job.

jebster 10-27-2019 03:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanTT (Post 5971844)
This is really amazing. Nice job.

Thanks. It is 2 years in the making but the end is in sight.

I got the last axle steering setup complete. It was a tight fit but it cycles smoothly. Haven't given it a test run yet to see if it makes a difference. Even if it doesn't it looks cool.

Spent more time on the interior. Made up my bench seat and the back will swing forward to give battery access. The roof locks the seat back in place. A little more structural support and then I'll add some apolstered seat material.

MeanTT 10-27-2019 03:20 PM

The tires will dry rot before you get to run it! [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jebster 10-27-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanTT (Post 5973247)
The tires will dry rot before you get to run it! [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HA! That could happen. Just means I have an excuse to get new tires. "thumbsup"

jebster 11-24-2019 06:09 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Almost there!

Got the interior pretty much done, painted the rig up and reassembled everything. Decided to go with CAT yellow and I think it came out pretty well.

I need to add some more scale accessories and lay down the traction strips to the bed deck so rigs don't just slide off the slick ABS surface. I'm thinking I'll build some storage boxes that mount to the frame between the second and third axles.

Got some pics below. Dropped my trx4 on the bed for a size comparison. Also have a pic of my original cardboard mockup of that cab compared to the finished product. Not too bad.

Raining like crazy today so I'll have to wait for a better day to get it outside.

Brake Weight 11-24-2019 06:21 PM

Nice.

jebster 12-19-2019 05:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Made a couple changes. Added a sound module and changed up the tires/wheels.

The sound module works reasonably well but I think I have the volume set too low.

I like the new tires and wheels much better. Plus they are slightly large and I think the proportions are better.

Took a short video in the basement and a couple pics.

https://youtu.be/cy0rlBNy0xQ

Mike Flea 12-19-2019 08:40 PM

WOW Jeb, that turned out nice, great skills "thumbsup""thumbsup"

Zukiiholic 12-19-2019 09:03 PM

Great looking build.

jebster 12-20-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Flea (Post 5984831)
WOW Jeb, that turned out nice, great skills "thumbsup""thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zukiiholic (Post 5984835)
Great looking build.

Thanks. It has been a long journey but I do like how it came out. I started working on storage boxes that will ride between the 2nd and 3rd axles. Once I add those I have just a couple accessories and then I'll call it done.

OSRC 12-21-2019 07:19 AM

Absolutely love it! Creative fabwork and the end result looks great! New wheels and tires make the rig imo.

jebster 02-23-2020 03:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 5985068)
Absolutely love it! Creative fabwork and the end result looks great! New wheels and tires make the rig imo.

Thanks. I agree the wheel & tire change did wonders for the overall look.

I was able to build the storage boxes on both sides. They do open and are held closed with magnets.

I realized today I never tested out the full bed and winch combo to see if it could drag and load a rig. Decided to experiment with my fairly heavy twin hammers trailer rig. Everything worked as it should.

https://youtu.be/kvWcj2xD0po

rs10man 04-20-2020 04:34 PM

Love it, so many things going on with it and cool little additions. Job done well

JoeConti 04-21-2020 12:35 AM

Simply WOW :)

jebster 04-21-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeConti (Post 6015751)
Simply WOW :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rs10man (Post 6015628)
Love it, so many things going on with it and cool little additions. Job done well

Thanks guys. This was a long but fun built. I need to get some video of it in motion. Very cool watching 5 separate axles articulate on rough terrain!

rs10man 04-21-2020 10:53 PM

I bet it is, I’ve watched some multi axle builds on YouTube and they are definitely interesting to see how they perform

Gula 04-22-2020 12:02 AM

Top 10 Most badassed builds on RCC. Well done sir!

2004DE_JR 04-23-2020 07:12 AM

what transfer cases did you use on this? you stated they was china ones but for what truck?

jebster 04-28-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rs10man (Post 6016061)
I bet it is, I’ve watched some multi axle builds on YouTube and they are definitely interesting to see how they perform

Agreed. One of the reasons I like building these types of rigs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gula (Post 6016072)
Top 10 Most badassed builds on RCC. Well done sir!

Thanks for the compliment. I still feel my builds pale in comparison to some of the awesome builds on this forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2004DE_JR (Post 6016487)
what transfer cases did you use on this? you stated they was china ones but for what truck?

I don't think they are for a specific truck. Here is a link to the same one as that I used. https://www.ebay.com/itm/292803759594