Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Dual motor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dual motor question

I've installed dual 45T motors on my 8x8 but as soon as I mentioned that I will be wiring both motors in parallel to my 1060 ESC my buddies kicked my butt saying its not the way to do it.

I did some searching and I found various brushed ESCs with dual output cables. I understand what they are for but do not understand why I would need such an ESC. I am not saying the 60Amp ESC is enough for the dual 45T brushed motors but nor am I saying it is not enough, that is yet to be found out.

I'm also told there's a "chip" one needs/could install on a setup like mine. Not idea why to be honest...

Can anyone throw some light into what seems to be a very dark area for me please ? On a normal day I am quite technical but when I hear stuff like the above I start to question my better judgement!

Thank you in advance...

Follow my 8x8 build here
JoeConti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dual motor question

I dont see why you cant wire.them in parillell ive run them both ways and never noticed a differance but i know there a reasons to do both ways i just dont think it matters much in the rc world when i run duel motors i like to run 2 escs but 1 works i just built a rig that us3s 2 motors and 1 esc but both motors are on the same transmission and i wired them in seiries both motors share the same current but one gets it sooner than the othe4 one wich is ok because there both turning the same shaft and share the load when wi4ed parrallel both motors.ge5 5he same current at the same time but they still share the load on a rig like a clod buster were each motor is powering a seperate axle i like to wire parrallell all my clods are wir3d that way the motors still share the load and still use current based on load but i feel its more responsive in parrallell when on seperate drive axles basicly on a moa set up wireing them in series would kinda act like a center diff honestly i dont realy think it matters ive done it both ways on both style rigs if i had to make a recamondation i would say try it.both ways see wat set up works best for your rig i domt think there is a right or wrong just one might work better or run cooler

The smallest esc i would run would be a 80amp range the 60amp might work ok if your eady on it the 1060 i think is a 80a but i could be wrong inhad the hw 860 duel motor esc.and it poped on 3s with 2 35t motors

I have a cheap $12 esc thats rated for 80a continuas and its running duel motors on 4s with out issue but then i load the rig up with 8lbs of water and start climbing big hills the esc gets hot if i had 2 i could haul water no problem in high gear with out stressing the esc

Last edited by ferp420; 06-16-2018 at 07:15 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I dont see why you cant wire.them in parillell ive run them both ways and never noticed a differance but i know there a reasons to do both ways i just dont think it matters much in the rc world when i run duel motors i like to run 2 escs but 1 works i just built a rig that us3s 2 motors and 1 esc but both motors are on the same transmission and i wired them in seiries both motors share the same current but one gets it sooner than the othe4 one wich is ok because there both turning the same shaft and share the load when wi4ed parrallel both motors.ge5 5he same current at the same time but they still share the load on a rig like a clod buster were each motor is powering a seperate axle i like to wire parrallell all my clods are wir3d that way the motors still share the load and still use current based on load but i feel its more responsive in parrallell when on seperate drive axles basicly on a moa set up wireing them in series would kinda act like a center diff honestly i dont realy think it matters ive done it both ways on both style rigs if i had to make a recamondation i would say try it.both ways see wat set up works best for your rig i domt think there is a right or wrong just one might work better or run cooler

The smallest esc i would run would be a 80amp range the 60amp might work ok if your eady on it the 1060 i think is a 80a but i could be wrong inhad the hw 860 duel motor esc.and it poped on 3s with 2 35t motors

I have a cheap $12 esc thats rated for 80a continuas and its running duel motors on 4s with out issue but then i load the rig up with 8lbs of water and start climbing big hills the esc gets hot if i had 2 i could haul water no problem in high gear with out stressing the esc
Should have mentioned that both motors are on same transmission as shown in this picture

Exactly how I see it .. never thought of trying in series though. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I think theres a differance in start up amps but i dont remember any more what set up draws more or less amps it only matters if your close to the limits of your esc though but if your that close to the limit you probably are gona want a esc that can take more power especialy if your rig gets heavyer or add another esc for the second motor
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I think theres a differance in start up amps but i dont remember any more what set up draws more or less amps it only matters if your close to the limits of your esc though but if your that close to the limit you probably are gona want a esc that can take more power especialy if your rig gets heavyer or add another esc for the second motor
You got me at "heavier" - thanks for your input
Old 06-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

There is simply no need for "Dual" motors on a rig. It complicates things unnecessarily and can cause other issues if the motors fight each other.. the link below is a 21lb (yes 21 pounds) rig that runs one motor and has all the power he needs for anything. He even hauls his kid around if I recall!

Szczerba's 3rd CXT, Build #57
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
There is simply no need for "Dual" motors on a rig. It complicates things unnecessarily and can cause other issues if the motors fight each other.. the link below is a 21lb (yes 21 pounds) rig that runs one motor and has all the power he needs for anything. He even hauls his kid around if I recall!

Szczerba's 3rd CXT, Build #57
Just watched the guy driving his kid on the back - makes you wonder doesn't it? Food for thought for sure. Thanks for this .. now I have a plan "B"
Old 06-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Just goes to show what you can do if you build the right way!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:44 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Just goes to show what you can do if you build the right way!
Ah so true -
Old 07-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I know I'm kinda late to the party but here's my take.
I use to run dual 45t motors on a single Axial transmission from a single ESC. The reason I did this was to get more torque without losing wheel speed for cheap. It ran great for over a year with no problems. As soon as I got the money I purchased a MambaX combo with an 1/8th scale sensored motor. I have it geared way down. Tons of torque and wheel speed. I see no problem running dual brushed motors. Cant beat the price

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by wblteen; 07-28-2018 at 06:54 AM.
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Good Read!

I was just pondering a slightly similar question, I pre ordered the Cross RC BC8 8x8 which uses a 560 size motor. I've been thinking about where I would find a nice crawler 560 motor and well I think it really doesn't exist which lead me to considering a Holmes Hobbies 550 tourquemaster motor or possibly 2 if needed, but now I'm not sure I want to deal with 2.
I also dont have a frame of reference for how big a 560 motor is, is it just a bit longer than 550 size? or what?
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've not set up the dual motor yet, only ran the 8x8 twice to test so far and both times I'm using a Hobbywing 1060 and a 45T motor. The motor does heat up a bit but then I guess all of them do. I never stop to check the temperature on all my other RCs. I got myself a Hobbywing QR860 DUAL Brushed ESC for the 8x8 and will use 2 x 45T motors. The speed was more than I need with one 45T motor so I'm happy there. As for which motor, I'm happy using the same motors on all my cars except for one. I have a Tekin setup on my Wraith but the rest all have a Hobbywing ESC of some sort or other and an unbranded rebuildable brushed motor for anything between $8 or $12. They work well for me and cheap enough carry a spare. I've done 3 G6 events in 3 different countries with the same car and same motor and plenty of runs in between. When I spend money I like to spend it on HD gears and shafts.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:14 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeConti View Post
I've not set up the dual motor yet, only ran the 8x8 twice to test so far and both times I'm using a Hobbywing 1060 and a 45T motor. The motor does heat up a bit but then I guess all of them do. I never stop to check the temperature on all my other RCs. I got myself a Hobbywing QR860 DUAL Brushed ESC for the 8x8 and will use 2 x 45T motors. The speed was more than I need with one 45T motor so I'm happy there. As for which motor, I'm happy using the same motors on all my cars except for one. I have a Tekin setup on my Wraith but the rest all have a Hobbywing ESC of some sort or other and an unbranded rebuildable brushed motor for anything between $8 or $12. They work well for me and cheap enough carry a spare. I've done 3 G6 events in 3 different countries with the same car and same motor and plenty of runs in between. When I spend money I like to spend it on HD gears and shafts.
I have an Integy 45T in my original SCX10 that's got 5 years and at least 300 miles on it. It's been beaten in 100+ degree weather, been completely submerged more times than I can count, and I've never temped it once. As far as RC stuff goes, that thing was the best $22 I ever spent.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
I have an Integy 45T in my original SCX10 that's got 5 years and at least 300 miles on it. It's been beaten in 100+ degree weather, been completely submerged more times than I can count, and I've never temped it once. As far as RC stuff goes, that thing was the best $22 I ever spent.
Good to hear

Dual motor question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C4WD OUTCRY CRAWLER DUAL MOTOR ESC Motor question Maliboost Electronics 2 03-02-2014 03:49 PM
Dual motor question builder Newbie General 5 04-01-2013 03:29 PM
Dual motor question Katon Electronics 7 12-25-2009 07:56 AM
Dual motor question LeDevil HPI Wheely King 5 11-03-2009 12:08 PM
dual motor question triaxmaster Electronics 9 03-13-2005 08:18 PM