Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jim gets the 6x6 Bug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Jim gets the 6x6 Bug

I caught the 6x6 crawler bug after wheeling along with a couple of buds who’ve built them. I started out with the misnamed Axial SCX10 II “Raw Builder’s Kit”, which IMO should be called “Builder’s Upgrade Kit”, such is the poor quality of some of the components. I mean, c’mon Axial, plastic shock bodies for a kit destined for custom builders, really?? I should‘a got me the SSD Trail King, dunno what I was thinking…

But, I digress, sorry back to the build. After some research, in particular @Soze’s build here on RCCralwer.com, I decided to try to address the inherent flaws of the sadly departed Axial UMG 6x6, namely overly flexy chassis and a rear drive shaft's comical habit of jumping ship under extreme suspension deflections - in other words, when you most need the darn thing to stay put.

Two things were done two stiffen the chassis.
1) Five bolts were driven into each joiner cross member rather than relying on only the two as originally design. Compare this

to the original:

The brace was also relocated about 5/8" forward of the stock location because I wanted to use the shorter links so the distance to the middle axle was 11.4" instead of the original 12.3. The theory behind this is that the shorter wheelbase will improve the breakover angle. Who knows, if true, but I like to tinker

2) Braces were added between the shock towers and as a result the rear of the chassis is WAY more rigid than before.

What flex is left, is up front due the the oh-so noodly stock battery and servo mount, but more on that later.....

Zooming out, here's what she looks like.

I got the cab from Asia Tees, but wouldn't do it again. Way cheaper, yes - but the lexan is paper thin.

Tinky likes the color, but is perplexed by the two extras wheels!

I think Axial should release a new 6x6 with better engineering, what do you guys think?
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Drive Shaft

BTW, the rear drive shaft issue was resolved by installing a TRX-4 unit, a bit of a pain to cut and fit, but rock solid now.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Jim gets the 6x6 Bug

Looks good. I wanted to see a 6x6 vw bug, though!
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Looks good. I wanted to see a 6x6 vw bug, though!
Old 10-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had a chance to test run it over the weekend at the Markham Park crawler course and was pretty happy with the performance.

Tires are Hyrax clones from Amazon.

Six wheel drive really allows the rig to climb pretty much anything. It makes so that I don't want to wheel my 4x4 rigs nearly as much now.

I did find that there's too much flex in the front part of the chassis, so a battery tray/servo mount combo from BowHouse is on the way. https://bowhouserc.com/hd-battery-tr...or-scx10-2-v2/

Old 10-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Man 6x6's are so much fun. I really enjoy mine, but I need to replace the Axial 35T in mine that went up in smoke. Considering putting a fusion in there.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Man 6x6's are so much fun. I really enjoy mine, but I need to replace the Axial 35T in mine that went up in smoke. Considering putting a fusion in there.
Hey Soze, funny you should say that as I noticed the Axial 27T motor I have in it getting pretty hot after running for about an hour. Lemme know how it goes if you do instal the Fusion in there. And btw, would the longer motor fit with the BowHouse battery mount, do you think??
Old 10-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I don't have a Bowhouse battery mount, but from the pictures it looks shorter than the stock tray. I don't see why the fusion or 550 can wouldn't fit.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I don't have a Bowhouse battery mount, but from the pictures it looks shorter than the stock tray. I don't see why the fusion or 550 can wouldn't fit.
Sounds good, I'll post pics once installed.

Jim gets the 6x6 Bug - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FOFF Jim, no wait - Jim’s FOFF jlsandkes Formula Offroad 31 10-24-2011 12:12 PM
thanks Jim jamesdicken Arizona 5 03-08-2010 07:38 PM
Jim is on!!!!! 2fknqwk Chit Chat 8 07-11-2008 10:59 PM