Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Custom 2.2 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #1

Default Custom 2.2 6x6

This is my custom 6x6 build I am using for my college capstone project. The build started a year ago, and the project isn't due till May 2020. But I figured it'd take a while so I've been chipping away at it.

It started in SolidWorks and I designed the frame off of 3 AR60 axles. I went through 5 different frames before settling on one I liked. The 4th was actually better, but it required welding aluminum to make the frame all one solid piece. But since I can't weld aluminum, I made the design so I can make it with tools I have at home, a jigsaw and drill press.

The idea started when I converted my SCX10 to 6x6 but I didn't like how the pass through axle in the middle didn't allow the two rear axles to move fully independently of each other. Also it was too small.....

Parts I am using are mainly sourced from RC4WD. So far I have their aluminum links and rod ends. Wheels and tires will be here next week (only 4 for now). Next will be the AX2 2 speed transmission and another 1:1 transfer case (already have one) and of course I will get more punisher shafts. The shocks are Gmade 113mm shocks (only on the front now, I have random shocks on the rear till I get more of the Gmade shocks). I realize the drivetrain is somewhat busy, but it is what I came up with without raising the center of gravity to run a single straight axle back to the rear transfer case.

The frame rails are made from 3/4" x 1/8" 6061 T6 aluminum and the interior pieces will be made from 1/8" 5052 H3 aluminum since they require bending. I am currently using some 3D printed parts since I have yet to mess around with the bending part.

Finally for the electricals I will have Savox servos on all 3 axles (only 2 axles steer currently), two 2s lipos to make 4s, and the Mamba X 2280Kv combo.

Not sure about the body yet, I was thinking the Proline F250 body, but I'm not exactly sure what I'd do for the rear... Any suggestions are welcome!

Pictures *should* be attached, I've never posted pictures here so hopefully I'm doing it right.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
BM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Custom 2.2 6x6

Nice work. Looks good. I need to get back to working on mine and get rid of the pass through

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblteen View Post
Nice work. Looks good. I need to get back to working on mine and get rid of the pass through

Thanks!

Small update:

Got a couple sets of RC4WD Mickey Thompson wheels and tires. It seemed fitting since I work for Mickey Thompson. Also a pic of it sitting next to my extended wheel base SCX10.

Last edited by BM97; 04-19-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

that drive line seems way over complicated...I imagine there will be issues with the middle axle wanting to lift under load... but interested to see a video of it working unloaded and loaded..

the transfer cases you are using, are they 1:1? because if they arent, your center diff is being driven at a different speed than the front and rear if I am seeing it correctly
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

My center axle lifts under load all the time. I have a simple pass through. I was hoping non-passthrough was the solution

Old 04-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

mine does not lift. its in the way you set up the links...mine is a pass thru
Old 04-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Mine are completely independent of each other

Old 04-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

you have seen how I have mine, when I was done with the links the middle wanted to lift slightly on the left but I found out that used shock I had installed had no oil left...once I rebuilt the shocks and put in a decent oil..(30wt I think) the lift was gone and now there is no middle axle lift going on.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I think your biggest issues are the angle of the shocks and the direction of your links on the middle axle.. if your setup was more like mine, I think it would no longer lift..
Old 04-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
that drive line seems way over complicated...I imagine there will be issues with the middle axle wanting to lift under load... but interested to see a video of it working unloaded and loaded..

the transfer cases you are using, are they 1:1? because if they arent, your center diff is being driven at a different speed than the front and rear if I am seeing it correctly
Yeah it is complicated, in the future I'd like to find a solid shaft to run from the transmission to the rear transfer case. They are all 1:1 so that will not be a problem

Old 04-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:

I like that setup, however I wanted each axle to be completely independent, with the amount of suspension travel I have, if just the middle axle were to compress fully (although this isn't something that would realistically happen) the rear axle would be pulled up with the driveshaft that is connecting them

Old 04-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM97 View Post
I like that setup, however I wanted each axle to be completely independent, with the amount of suspension travel I have, if just the middle axle were to compress fully (although this isn't something that would realistically happen) the rear axle would be pulled up with the driveshaft that is connecting them

mine doesn't do that, I have a pretty good amount of travel, the drive shaft is a slip shaft and when the middle goes up the drive shaft gets longer without pulling the rear up with it. I had a time getting the length right so as not to have the shaft pull apart or bind, but I did get it solved and now its a beast, goes anywhere and the rear axles do seem to move independently with no issues.

I am wanting to replicate a walking ladder suspension on my newest 6X6 using the AR60 axles with a pass thru. I am currently mocking it up.

you can see in this pic, the middle is fully compressed and the rear is fully dropped down...
Attached Images

Last edited by allanon1965; 04-20-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
mine doesn't do that, I have a pretty good amount of travel, the drive shaft is a slip shaft and when the middle goes up the drive shaft gets longer without pulling the rear up with it. I had a time getting the length right so as not to have the shaft pull apart or bind, but I did get it solved and now its a beast, goes anywhere and the rear axles do seem to move independently with no issues.

I am wanting to replicate a walking ladder suspension on my newest 6X6 using the AR60 axles with a pass thru. I am currently mocking it up.

you can see in this pic, the middle is fully compressed and the rear is fully dropped down...
It looks nice! I'm using all RC4WD punisher shafts and I'm using the longest one for the front axle, there's no way it would reach the rear axle so some kind of pass-through or custom extended driveshaft is needed for the middle axle

Old 04-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I used JunFac shafts on mine, they make some pretty long shafts.. they have held up to the roc 412 3100kv brushless on 3s for more than a year now so I am sold on them. They also have a greater working angle than MIP shafts do.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #15

Quote:
I used JunFac shafts on mine, they make some pretty long shafts.. they have held up to the roc 412 3100kv brushless on 3s for more than a year now so I am sold on them. They also have a greater working angle than MIP shafts do.
Gotcha, the RC4WD shafts are $25 each and are nice quality so I figured I can't go wrong. I've liked their other products, except for the aluminum rod ends....got $40 worth of those for this truck and when I installed them the tolerances were too loose in the balls and all the axles rattle back and forth. Also had a few of the balls and retainers completely slip out of the aluminum rod ends. And the truck has never even been ran yet. Can't imagine how they would hold up to actual use. I'll get some plastic ones although I was trying to avoid plastic as much as possible with this build

Old 04-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I run axial ends with metal balls. Seem to last much longer. Then when it does start to get loose, I just replace the cheap plastic end.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I just have one question... is that a cassette player?
Brian5582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5582 View Post
I just have one question... is that a cassette player?
Haha it's an old boom box. Speakers are sitting above it. Got an aux cord on it and use it for my Xbox and projector.

Custom 2.2 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom M1088 6x6 Ty@Tekin Multi Axle Rigs 60 10-18-2018 08:35 AM
Custom Globeliner 6x6 dan.loeb Multi Axle Rigs 15 03-15-2013 07:56 PM