Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another SUX 10 based 6x6 Traptor build, named Texas Pete. And it's not 6x6 yet, I ran

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another SUX 10 based 6x6 Traptor build, named Texas Pete. And it's not 6x6 yet, I ran

Welp, I figured while I was at "The Great Place" Ft. Hood, TX for training I should make the most of my time in the field. I decided a spare parts build would be the best use/waste of my time.
First order of business was get a Grand Hauler cab and begin the plastic surgery. Started by zeussing off the sleeper and fenders, then filled in the sunroof and back of the cab. Once that was done I had to sprinkle on the toppings, you know, to get a taste of the finished project.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another SUX 10 based 6x6 Traptor build, named Texas Pete. And it's not 6x6 yet, I

Now that's out of the way, let's move on to paint. Be advised, painting in a sandbox results in a less than desirable finish. I can live with it since the look I was going for was an old Peterbilt turned into a rock crawler.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another SUX 10 based 6x6 Traptor build, named Texas Pete. And it's not 6x6 yet, I

The mission dictates that my other Gen 1 SUX 10 would be an organ donor to the cause. After moving axle and drive train parts back and forth I had two operational trucks.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

And after 4 weeks, this is the end result. The DFAC/chow hall donated a baking pan to be used for the flat bed. Once the 6x6 conversion is complete I'll make a new bed that highlights the Bun Boy markings. I'm also going to use the donated materials to make fenders for the front.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

P.S. I'm still working on the cab mounts and interior, that's why they're still white styrene.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Very nice. I always want to build one of these but the size bothers me. I never thought about cutting the fenders off. I really like the look of this so far. I guess I’ll have to build another kit so I can do a build like this! Can’t wait to see it done.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Very nice. I always want to build one of these but the size bothers me. I never thought about cutting the fenders off. I really like the look of this so far. I guess I’ll have to build another kit so I can do a build like this! Can’t wait to see it done.

Ben
I completely understand about scale/size. It bothers me that a 1/10th scale tractor isn't available. Someone should do something about it.
I crudely made a set of fenders from the Bun Boy pan. They're in primer now while I'm doing laundry.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Fenders were completed prior to leaving this country, and I already don't like them. They just don't look right to me, I don't know?

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

That was then, and this is now. I arrived in a foriegn country to find soil that is extremely loose and sandy, with little to no wheeling to be had in the immediate vicinity. Sad face.
Luckily there was some broken concrete and bricks along with river stones mixed into piles behind our maintenance area. Here are the first ever pictures of Texas Pete in the wild:

Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nice, I like it - something different for sure! The fenders looked pretty good to me, though it looks badass with out them imo.
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Nice, I like it - something different for sure! The fenders looked pretty good to me, though it looks badass with out them imo.
Thanks OSRC! I just think it looks better without them. Headlights attached to the sides of the hood would help break up the openness of the front.
Two things to update:
1. The conversation to 6x6 isn't going to happen any time soon. The pass-through axle, spare parts, and some of tools are somewhere (maybe in Poland, maybe not) in a small connex that our maintenance section is unsure of it's whereabouts.
2. This cab is going to be used on a more proportionate Tamiya Grand Hauler chassis, which will be converted to 6x6, once funding allows for it. A new cab for this is coming from Jiwook Kim of JK3DRC. Here's a teaser of what I have in mind:

Old 05-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Two things have happened sooner than anticipated. First was the discovery of my section's connex. It had actually beat us to Poland. Once we had tracked down the keys we were able to get our tools and parts, including my footlocker of toy car parts. I wasted as much time as possible building the rear suspension.
The second was the arrival of a package from JK3DRC. It looked as though the postal service wasn't to easy on it, but the contents were unharmed. And those contents are something. This is just taped together and sitting on the frame, but fit and finish is incredible. The pieces interlock, and he included bracing to be glued in between the joints, along with all of the detail parts. I would highly recommend his products and can't wait to get started on this once I get the rear suspension sorted out.

Another SUX 10 based 6x6 Traptor build, named Texas Pete. And it's not 6x6 yet, I ran - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A different scx10 based 6x6 c0bra Multi Axle Rigs 1 01-21-2016 11:25 AM
Budhatrain's Big Pete 6x6 build budhatrain Multi Axle Rigs 12 02-17-2015 09:34 AM
Crazy Pete 6x6 tuber chevy55 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 13 01-12-2015 02:10 AM
kroniks mrc based 6x6 build kronik 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 01-25-2011 06:29 PM
wk based 6x6 roglum HPI Wheely King 3 06-03-2010 12:04 PM