Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Traxxas TRX-6 how good is it really?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Traxxas TRX-6 how good is it really?

Hi,
I have been out of the crawler hobby for quite some time now. More than 5 years to be exact, and I see that traxxas has come out with some good crawler options like the TRX4 and now TRX6.
Now to be honest the TRX 6 looks very similar to the HG P601 crawler with obvious upgrades, metal parts, metal chassis, ecc... Now for the heck of getting back in the hobby I decided to buy the HG P601 and it is already on it's way to my home, but I have the bug that it will need upgrades almost inmediately. I am fine with that because the starting price was quite low, but I am not quite sure if spending the money on various upgrades for the HG or just do some minor upgrade and give it to my son, and buy the traxxas for me, or just keep the HG, buy some good upgrades for it and buy myself a good 4x4 for me.

I would like some good performance, and from the videos I saw on the net, I see that the TRX-6 seems to outperform the TRX4.
Now I love the looks of the trx6 but the price is high.
So looking for suggestions,

Should I just keep the HG P601 and probably have more or less the performance of the TRX6?
Should I buy the traxxas, even with it's high price tag?
Am I better off with some other crawler?

Thanks
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Traxxas TRX-6 how good is it really?

I think the 2-speed gearbox and remote locking differentials on the TRX trucks are definitely worth paying for. I have other crawlers with permanently locked diffs and they work fine, but it's nice to have the option to go faster without instantly flipping-over on the first corner. The 2-speed gearbox is probably not useful if you want to use a sensored brushless motor, but if you want to use a brushed motor or a sensorless brushless motor then the 2-speed gearbox is useful.

Is the TRX-6 better than the TRX-4? Probably not better, but definitely unique. I own both now, but to be honest the reason I bought the TRX-6 is because it's cool, not because it's better. I took one look at the TRX-6 and I knew that it would have to be a limited-edition item, and I wanted to get one before they are discontinued. I just can't imagine a vehicle that crazy remaining available for years.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 11-08-2019 at 06:44 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for your reply, the HG also has the two speed gearbox but it doesn't have the lockable diffs. They are always locked. Now I have seen plenty reviews of both the HG and the Traxxas, keeping in mind that the HG has been making this crawer for some time now, and I see that the traxxas is much better made, but it is 3 times the price (at least in amazon). Now as I stated before, the HG is on it's way, I will upgrade the chassis, shocks, servos, probably the ESC and motor, and mod the tires, BUT There is something in the traxxas (probably the body) that drives me crazy, and considering that the body only is worth $200 in Amazon, I can see that once you put that, plus all the "extras" that are stock on the traxxas, the $600 price tag is not too high.

I am probably trying to convince myself to buy the trx6, even though deep down I know I will probably buy it.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would just add wait a bit and feel out the HG 6x6, then once you've had some time with it decide if you want another 6x6 or a 4x4. I've got one of the Cross RC BC8 Mammoth 8x8's and I like it because its unique but honestly if I'm wondering what to drive the big 8x8 is usually at the back of the list and I'll go instead for one of my many 4x4's.

Though if you do fail to talk yourself out of the TRX6 it shouldn't disappoint, no experience with it but the base TRX4 its made from is pretty damn good out of the box and super durable.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-08-2019 at 08:10 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Thanks for your reply, the HG also has the two speed gearbox but it doesn't have the lockable diffs. They are always locked. Now I have seen plenty reviews of both the HG and the Traxxas, keeping in mind that the HG has been making this crawer for some time now, and I see that the traxxas is much better made, but it is 3 times the price (at least in amazon). Now as I stated before, the HG is on it's way, I will upgrade the chassis, shocks, servos, probably the ESC and motor, and mod the tires, BUT There is something in the traxxas (probably the body) that drives me crazy, and considering that the body only is worth $200 in Amazon, I can see that once you put that, plus all the "extras" that are stock on the traxxas, the $600 price tag is not too high.

I am probably trying to convince myself to buy the trx6, even though deep down I know I will probably buy it.
We can always hope that Traxxas will release a chassis kit.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
brian.brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well after a good night sleep, I decided I am going to wait a bit before getting another 6x6. As Humboldt suggested, it might not be the best idea to have two of the same kind.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hi,

Axial 6x6 is less expensive than traxxas, and not so bad, if you want a 6x6 car
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFox View Post
Hi,

Axial 6x6 is less expensive than traxxas, and not so bad, if you want a 6x6 car
It was not just to have a 6x6 because that was why I bought the HG P601, so it's going to be delivered probably by the end of the week. As for purchasing also the traxxas I made up my mind and decided I am not willing to spend that much on a rig just now. So I ended up getting a Redcat Gen 8.
For now I will see how much I am going to use this two I bough and IF I see that the hobby kicks in as before (10 years ago) I might consider getting some more rigs.

Thanks to all for the help and I really hope that this hobby continues.

Traxxas TRX-6 how good is it really? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas TRX-4 MrSim Traxxas TRX-4 12 05-19-2018 11:05 PM
Traxxas TRX-4 x 2 driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 10-09-2017 06:53 PM