Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Overland?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Overland?

That’s what it’s called. This is the starting spot for my next build. Scale rollback/ recovery rig.
Should be arriving soon from RPP.
I’m going to stock up on sheets of styrene for this.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Overland?

I'll be watching this thread!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice, can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
That’s what it’s called. This is the starting spot for my next build. Scale rollback/ recovery rig.
Should be arriving soon from RPP.
I’m going to stock up on sheets of styrene for this.

Hang up and Drive

Following. This is going to be amazing! Can’t wait to see it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Cool! Going to follow this one. I was just looking at this Aussie truck yesterday.

Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

First issue I will need to address is the lack of shocks. Very few of these have been built, I think this is the first batch available to the public. I got a note from RPP, ordered one. And now they show OS.
Reason I bought this from RPP, not direct was shipping was $165.00, no not $16.50!
RPP on the other hand wasn’t the usual free, but a modest$30.00

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Got the truck, sweet details!
Lights are ordered, 16t reedy power, HW1080 and my trusty Futaba controlling the two Hitec servos.
The cable shifting is going to be crazy to setup. 19mm servo horns will be needed.
Plans changed as I don’t have anything that would fit on a rollback. So a camper is now the thought, will need a big gas tank, shouldn’t be a major issue. I ordered a set of 55mm shocks, we will see.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-24-2020, 11:03 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Overland?

Quote:
Got the truck, sweet details!
Lights are ordered, 16t reedy power, HW1080 and my trusty Futaba controlling the two Hitec servos.
The cable shifting is going to be crazy to setup. 19mm servo horns will be needed.
Plans changed as I don’t have anything that would fit on a rollback. So a camper is now the thought, will need a big gas tank, shouldn’t be a major issue. I ordered a set of 55mm shocks, we will see.

Hang up and Drive

This. Is. Awesome.

I can’t wait to see it!

Personally think a camper would look better than a rollback. What’s the thickness of the styrene you are using?

Old 09-25-2020, 06:18 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
This. Is. Awesome.

I can’t wait to see it!

Personally think a camper would look better than a rollback. What’s the thickness of the styrene you are using?

Thanks, not sure yet, I need to dig thru my stockpile. Floor will be twice as thick though

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Take a look at Sintra, Komacel or other expanded foam PVC sheets instead of styrene for the rear box. It cuts easily, is strong, you can get it in different thicknesses and it's not too far off the foam that they make the real thing from.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Default Overland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
Take a look at Sintra, Komacel or other expanded foam PVC sheets instead of styrene for the rear box. It cuts easily, is strong, you can get it in different thicknesses and it's not too far off the foam that they make the real thing from.

Great Idea ! That will save time rather than building walls and covering them.

WOW!! I did look it up, great stuff, I think it’s priced per square inch !

Many positives, but I’ll stick with sheet styrene at much less cost.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 09-26-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Default Overland?

We need pictures!

I have been chopping and cutting on one of these 4x4 rigs for a bit now. Frame cut down, body cut down, etc
I used some new GMade 80mm shocks and kept around the same travel the leafs offered using rear scx hoops and some simple metal pieces up front. Still need to get the right spacers on the front top shock tower bolts, just mock up. I tried to order the factory shock hoops that come on the 6x6 but no luck talking to RC4WD, so I winged.

Hood sitting on truck for this pic. Still working on it.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Today’s “fun” involves the RC4WD legendary lack of’s .
Threadlock and grease. RC4WD must have gotten the message as I spent almost an hour cleaning excess loctite from the rear axles/bearings/hexes. One side just plain was stiff after getting lockers and transmission cables sorted out. Emery cloth and elbow grease solved all issues and reassembled.

Best fight of the day was removing the front hub covers. The rear have small hex screws, no biggie, but the front doesn’t. So I used a spanner and spun.......... finally realized that they pop off and are secured with an o ring.

They really stay on well!!

Some fun did arrive midday, my controller from MyTrick RC, and most lights. Still a few things coming from other sources.
I used the DG1 on my SCX10III, Bud due to running 6 halos, this one was only running 3&5 mm led’s so a smaller UF7 was chosen.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
We need pictures!

I have been chopping and cutting on one of these 4x4 rigs for a bit now. Frame cut down, body cut down, etc
I used some new GMade 80mm shocks and kept around the same travel the leafs offered using rear scx hoops and some simple metal pieces up front. Still need to get the right spacers on the front top shock tower bolts, just mock up. I tried to order the factory shock hoops that come on the 6x6 but no luck talking to RC4WD, so I winged.

Thanks Shane! This is a fun but frustrating truck( for the experienced builder only!) I wen a slightly different shock route, 50mm shortys. I need to make the axle plates, and am spacing the fronts out with tube spacers, 11mm wide, rears I’m looking at options as a camper box can hide things well. I need to get some pictures of this , but it’s a slow boat I’m on. Just getting the cables arranged was ........ fun!

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks Shane! This is a fun but frustrating truck( for the experienced builder only!) I wen a slightly different shock route, 50mm shortys. I need to make the axle plates, and am spacing the fronts out with tube spacers, 11mm wide, rears I’m looking at options as a camper box can hide things well. I need to get some pictures of this , but it’s a slow boat I’m on. Just getting the cables arranged was ........ fun!

Hang up and Drive

I feel the same way, I’m trying to make a flatbed for my trx4 and it’s frustrating.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Man, I'm lovin' it at this stage!

Another winner from the Szczerba garage...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Good call on the 55mm front shocks. I Should have done that, looks super easy. Took me about 1.5 hours to cut, fit and drill tap the front mounts. Haha. Any tips on the transmission/axle servo cable linkage? I will be tackling that tomorrow if I have a decent enough servo in the parts bin.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:04 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Any tips on the transmission/axle servo cable linkage? I will be tackling that tomorrow if I have a decent enough servo in the parts bin.
It took me a bit of time to see what the manuals pictures were. I ended up with viewing on a 24” monitor, and the routing clicked(I was confused by the extra diff cable shown) I thought sealing the wire with CA would work..... meh , after that failed I ended up with tiny heat shrink on just the moving ends, again I will work on some better pics when light outside.
I did use my servo tester centered to set the position and could test it with the dial. The final spring and ferrule is a nightmare for my hands to crimp

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-26-2020, 10:21 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We need pictures!

Looks like another heavy logging truck , or a swamp cruiser. I too was ignored by RC4WD , found A bit of cross parts, shipping’s was more than the parts so passed on them, coming to see a small break on some of the same lines that your doing out back I do have some taller shocks that might work well.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default Overland?

Today’s fun between games and races was to get the lights wired. I’m missing 1pair of amber rear signals, and three splitter cords for easy wiring. All lights go onto the frame, so I’m going to try and find or build a spot, might be on the firewall, but not sure yet, until all wires are installed

It actually all worked properly, after figuring out where things really go, vs manual.(2 revisions, big difference)

3headlights
6 flashers /turn signals
Brake/Tail
Reverse
All automatically works after setup

Hang up and Drive

Overland? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overland jeep xj JKMIDDY22 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 08-05-2019 05:39 AM
Overland Project ManiacMagoo Axial SCX10 II 3 07-19-2016 11:13 AM
Tacoma Overland: by CFM CarterFab Axial SCX-10 18 10-28-2015 08:37 AM
Any one have an mini-z overland? trost General Scale Talk 22 07-03-2006 08:43 AM