Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Fricker08ís 6x6 Umg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fricker08ís 6x6 Umg

I love getting a fresh batch of rc parts in the mail! Looks good, can't wait to see it come together.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2021, 12:36 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Well I started the tear down and reassembly. Iíve ran into a couple issues already. The chassis is super nice.. the rails, skid and sliders went together perfectly. Unfortunately one of my chassis braces came with a hole stripped out. But my biggest snag is the front suspension. The links I got from RC issues worked great on the stock chassis. But due to how low the upper link mount is up front on the gspeed chassis, I have no front suspension movement. I had a link riser for the axle, it helped but likely wonít work with my servo on axle mount and itís still not right. Idk if the upper link needs a bend in it or what but Iím kind of stuck until I figure that out. The center axle links have way more clearance than in the stock chassis and havenít got to the rear yet but will tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Well I started the tear down and reassembly. I’ve ran into a couple issues already. The chassis is super nice.. the rails, skid and sliders went together perfectly. Unfortunately one of my chassis braces came with a hole stripped out. But my biggest snag is the front suspension. The links I got from RC issues worked great on the stock chassis. But due to how low the upper link mount is up front on the gspeed chassis, I have no front suspension movement. I had a link riser for the axle, it helped but likely won’t work with my servo on axle mount and it’s still not right. Idk if the upper link needs a bend in it or what but I’m kind of stuck until I figure that out. The center axle links have way more clearance than in the stock chassis and haven’t got to the rear yet but will tomorrow.
Personally I've had massive issues with those high clearance RC Issues links, pun intended. Bought a set for SCX10, but they all came wrong, wrong balls, all link lengths were like 1/2inch too long, and steering links were all wrong too, still haven't used a single one and they been sitting for like 9 months. Wasted my money.

Now I only make my own links, too many problems before nd now I never have any ISSUES except having lots of extra Traxxas rod ends. Hope you get it all cleared up.

Have you tried just straight links yet?

Last edited by savageasflux; 02-05-2021 at 01:17 PM.
savageasflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #24
RCC Addict

That looks more like a design "flaw" with the frame rails than the links to me. The only way I see it working is a bend in the upper links. Wonder why they made is so low?
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Turn your lower links around temporarily (arch going down, not up) and see if it at least gives you your flex back. If it does, then you know it's the shape not the length. I agree with Phil also. The frame mounts for the front links look too close together.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #26
RCC Addict

I was up until midnight messing with it last night, slightly frustrated and been at work so I havenít had a chance to play with it. Iíve got some longer rod ends so if I bend the uppers hopefully that will make up the difference. Now I donít think these links are perfect, but they worked on the stock chassis with no issues.. I also think the front upper link mount is too low. Iíve got the stock links but I really donít want to run those cheesy things. I have some stainless high clearance links on another 10.2 based rig I can try out but was really wanting to use these brass ones. I donít have the patience, time or space to make my own links right now but if I have to try and modify whatís there itís worth a shot.
Also trying to think of thereís any way to make a revised mount but Iím not about to drill into these carbon rails.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:59 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Do you have any spacers you could try to move the upper mounts closer to center between the chassis rails. I was gonna get the KNK spacer kit but held off as it wasnt in stock at RPP when i ordered, but plan to get it eventually but ill just use plastic spacers until then. And/or just start trying different links, start with the stockers to test for binding and then get same length metal ones once you get the binding figured out.

I'll likely be making links for my build this weekend, maybe I can help more after I've played with those same mount locations, ill post back after.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #28
RCC Addict

I didnít think about that, Iíll give it a shot and report for sure. Thanks savage. I knew this was going to be more than a straight up swap but hoping it doesnít turn into a big ordeal. But hopefully we get this figured out and it will help others in the future.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:57 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Well here we are! I had a brake tube bender and was able to put the perfect bend in the upper link. I did have to swap some ball ends here n there but thatís no big deal. Also scored 2 sets of trx4 shocks from a buddy on a trade. So I rebuilt them with some 10wt and got them mounted. I officially have a standing chassis

Old 02-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Very nice, good score on the shocks. Are you planning on using the stock body still?
Old 02-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Very nice, good score on the shocks. Are you planning on using the stock body still?

Thanks man, yea Iíll be using the stock body for now. I have to trim the wheel wells out but thatís fine. I found this in that FB group, looks like it uses the stock bed. Different, but pretty cool looking.
I may end up doing a cab and flat bed later on down the road but we will see.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:15 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Looks great, glad you were able to get the links squared away.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Cool Re: Fricker08ís 6x6 Umg

Sweet ya got it all worked out. Nothing a tube bender couldn't fix niceeeeeee

Looks like you just need your electronics and your ready see it move.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, yea almost forgot I had that bender in the closet.
Yea Savage, Iím getting close. My Amain order was delayed coming from California. Wonít be here until Monday but the one part that came ALL the way from North Carolina was here in 2 days. Waiting on a servo mount, and the parts for the big boy trans. Was hoping to have a running rig this weekend but oh well.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Looking good! Excited to see where you take this!

Old 02-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Thanks, I know these are basically the same pics but I canít help how good this chassis looks

Old 02-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Canít blame ya! Those brass links really tie it all together.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:29 AM   #38
RCC Addict

It really is a thing of beauty.

I had made 5 separate orders last week so I could have everything to build two rigs this weekend, ran into about $15 worth of parts I didn’t know weren’t included. Brought one build to a screeching halt. I feel your pain.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
It really is a thing of beauty.

I had made 5 separate orders last week so I could have everything to build two rigs this weekend, ran into about $15 worth of parts I didnít know werenít included. Brought one build to a screeching halt. I feel your pain.

Man that sucks, Iíve done the same thing. Iím still short a few things for the 6x6 my girls 10.3 and my next project

Old 02-09-2021, 12:39 AM   #40
RCC Addict

A little update, my parts showed up today for the trans. I got it assembled.. then disassembled it to assemble it the correct way. Itís a bit wider than the stock trans so I had to move the mid upper links back a position.. which now caused the axle the be pointed up at an awkward angle. I bent the upper mid links but it didnít make a difference. And due to the rear axle being the low pinion the rear driveshaft is also at a pretty extreme angle. Iím just running wb8-hd shafts for now and I may go for the high pinion rear axle sooner than later.
Also Iím not super stoked on the tolerances of the trans. The input shaft has a ton of movement and Iím not sure how to fix it.. well I have an idea but it will require total tear down again. Almost tempted to order the complete trans from the designer Nick Aase. But we will see. I also need to cut down the steering link to get that back in shape since I went to the BPC soa mount
I did drive it around the apartment a little so thatís a win. Iíve got to get the electronics organized and trim the body then itís going to be ready to hit some rocks.

Fricker08ís 6x6 Umg - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 UMG 6x6 Bridges and Gullies RichardA Videos! 0 09-01-2020 10:03 AM
Axial scx10 UMG 6X6 problem shaggybirdman Newbie General 2 08-19-2020 11:30 PM
UMG 6x6 light question Griffin Axial SCX10 II 1 04-02-2020 11:16 AM
Axial UMG 6x6 reviews kikcaffine General Crawlers 4 03-11-2020 10:48 AM