Notices

Thread: Fricker08’s 6x6 Umg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Fricker08’s 6x6 Umg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
... This is the way it should have been made to begin with!
Couldn't agree more. If Axial brings this back with portals or updates the 4x4 with portals I'll most likely have to give them my money.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #102
Rock Crawler

Nice work!! Very cool build!!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:03 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

I surprised Traxxas hasn't done a proper Unimog body for the TRX platform yet. They have the mercedes license, they have (IMO) the superior platform, they have an existing fan base easily comparable to that if Axial. To me, it makes a ton of sense from a marketing standpoint.

It's equally strange to me how it took so long for the "Fastest Name in Radio Control" to get into the drag racing scene. My apologies if this is too far off topic, I realize this might be the wrong place.

On topic though, I really like where this build is going. I've been thinking about doing something similar, with the divorced rear axles, to build an off-road semi truck. I don't need to start another project right now though.
Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 04-30-2021 at 07:09 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:11 PM   #104
RCC Addict

Default Fricker08’s 6x6 Umg

Thanks guys, I’m super stoked on this build. Yea smc, that would make a lot of sense. Especially since the axial 6x6 umg body is discontinued. I’d like to see more options or at least continue to make the bed so we can adapt cabs too it.
I’ve heard the traxxas is pretty solid. Twade has one he’s working on and I can’t wait to run these next to each other. Stock form I say the trx6 probably murders the axial.. but this thing has nothing left but the body now from the original.
The lines this thing goes up blows my mind every time.

On that note, it’s throughly disappointing Rich confirmed axial will not be stepping into the 6x6 market again. Because I think a kit version with ar45p’s would be pretty badass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:25 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
"Especially since the axial 6x6 umg body is discontinued". "Stock form I say the trx6 probably murders the axial"
I didn't know the UMG body was discontinued. That seems to me the TRX already murdered the UMG.

The TRX6 is definitely a solid truck, probably partly due to the one piece frame and additional chassis bracing over the already great TRX4. Say what you want about Traxxas but the quality is definitely one of the top in the market. Their RTR electronics on the other hand, can be, questionable.

If you're ever on the fence about getting a TRX6, "Yes!"

Old 05-01-2021, 12:10 AM   #106
RCC Addict

Yea if I were to do it over again, I wouldn’t have wasted my money on the rtr axial. Especially with the gspeed chassis out now. I could have saved myself a bit of money just starting from scratch. But it is what it is and now I’ve got one of the baddest 6x6’s around IMO.
Foams installed, body mounted back up. I’m hoping to go run this thing Sunday.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:22 AM   #107
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
"now I’ve got one of the baddest 6x6’s around"
Can't disagree with you there.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #108
RCC Addict

Well I got to take this beast out for it’s first run on the ar45p’s yesterday.
I felt like I had to relearn to drive it, but didn’t take long to get in the swing. Love the suspension setup, super happy with the dravtechs. Idk if it was weather conditions/tires but some lines that were easy before became difficult, some even impossible. But there’s 2 very difficult lines I couldn’t make before that I was able to conquer so I’ll wrap it up as a win.
Other than possibly trying different tires and adding a little weight, I think the chassis work is complete for now. Going to be working on some different body options also. Anyways, enjoy some pics

Old 05-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #109
Pebble Pounder

That thing looks so awesome (do people still say "awesome"? , don't think I've used that since the 70's) on the rocks. It's sad that the 6x6 UMG body is being discontinued. It's my favorite 6x6 body. The only thing I've seen that comes close is maybe the MST FJ45 body.
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
That thing looks so awesome (do people still say "awesome"? , don't think I've used that since the 70's) on the rocks. It's sad that the 6x6 UMG body is being discontinued. It's my favorite 6x6 body. The only thing I've seen that comes close is maybe the MST FJ45 body.

Haha I say awesome all the time, you’re good!
Thanks man, I appreciate it. The cab says it may come back, but horizon confirmed the bed is gone. Idk this thing may find it’s way into the classifieds. But I’ve got some things lined up with power wagon beds that I might splice together.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Well I tore this thing down to build a v1c1 out of its parts… but it’s back. Got the roller assembled last night, probably be a few weeks before it’s back on the rocks but here we are.

https://youtu.be/rWmK4ToBuwA

Old 05-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Awesome, glad it's back!
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:52 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Just when you thought this thing can’t have any more driveshafts… I go and add a forward motor mount. This intheworks fmm didn’t work out on my v3 with my revolver so here it is.
Also I’m pretty impressed, for having the fmm 2 transfer case’s and 3 axles, I got everything spinning the correct way first try. I’ve got a little binding between the 2 t-cases so I’ll be ordering another cross unit and hopefully that takes care of that. Can’t wait to get out and run this thing.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:06 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just when you thought this thing can’t have any more driveshafts…
So what you're saying is it needs more driveshafts?
Your new rig is looking sick so far. Even if it's kind of light on the number of driveshafts (jk)
Old 06-10-2021, 12:10 AM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
So what you're saying is it needs more driveshafts?
Your new rig is looking sick so far. Even if it's kind of light on the number of driveshafts (jk)

Haha I don’t think I could add an ore if I wanted to.
Thanks man, this thing is a blast. I’ve tried selling it a few times but I don’t even know why because the hole this thing would leave will be hard to fill. Hopefully if the weather allows, I’ll get to drive it this weekend.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:20 AM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Haha I don’t think I could add an ore if I wanted to.
Thanks man, this thing is a blast. I’ve tried selling it a few times but I don’t even know why because the hole this thing would leave will be hard to fill. Hopefully if the weather allows, I’ll get to drive it this weekend.

You'd probably have a buyer if I could justify spending that kind of money, or buying yet another truck.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:57 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post

You'd probably have a buyer if I could justify spending that kind of money, or buying yet another truck.

Haha no worries man, I already spent the money and I can’t justify it lol it’s a blast, but it makes some obstacles too easy.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #118
RCC Addict

I got to get out and wheel this thing last weekend. It was a little hot for the landmines so I struggled in a few spots but I had no issues with the new FMM setup. The thing was super smooth, and made one really difficult straight up line I’m not sure I made before. Unfortunately didn’t get but the one pic. It’s getting some flatiron’s and possibly a cab swap.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #119
Pebble Pounder

This truck impresses me every time I look at it. I've been through this thread a couple of times now and every time I see little details that get me thinking of ways I could improve my build. I still can't get over how you got all those drive shaft in there and managed to get clearance on everything. It took me half a dozen redesigns to get clearance on just one.
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #120
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
This truck impresses me every time I look at it. I've been through this thread a couple of times now and every time I see little details that get me thinking of ways I could improve my build. I still can't get over how you got all those drive shaft in there and managed to get clearance on everything. It took me half a dozen redesigns to get clearance on just one.

Thanks man, it took some work for sure. I didn’t realize I hadn’t posted the latest rendition. I added another cross tcase in the back instead of the 3D printed one and had to trim the bed some more

Fricker08’s 6x6 Umg - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 UMG 6x6 Bridges and Gullies RichardA Videos! 0 09-01-2020 10:03 AM
Axial scx10 UMG 6X6 problem shaggybirdman Newbie General 2 08-19-2020 11:30 PM
UMG 6x6 light question Griffin Axial SCX10 II 1 04-02-2020 11:16 AM
Axial UMG 6x6 reviews kikcaffine General Crawlers 4 03-11-2020 10:48 AM