Notices

Thread: TRX-6 Mini Build Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2021, 02:05 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TRX-6 Mini Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Idjit View Post
I like the battery container and location you've setup. Have a link to the files?
Both the box and the fenders that act as half the mount (still need to figure the rest) are modifications to existing files. Once I figure out how to upload the files to Thingiverse I'll send you the links.

They're both designed/modified for my specific build so you'll have to do some figuring out of your own

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I went ahead and changed the design of the rear fenders a bit. I like them much better now.

One step closer to finally finishing this truck

Old 12-06-2021, 11:38 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Small update.

I designed (I'm no expert, they're not perfect) 3D printed floor plates to fit under the factory running boards and part of the inner fenders I'm working on.
I left a space at the front of the "engine bay" for a printed grill/grill shroud that I plan to hard mount to the chassis. If all goes according to plan, the grill assembly will reinforce the "engine bay" structure and allow the front to bolted to the chassis, as well as hold the magnets that will be used for the front body mounts.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:07 AM   #24

That's come out really nicely, loving the look!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Bloody Idjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That's come out really nicely, loving the look!

Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the curvature right for the front fenders. And still trying to workout body mounts.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the curvature right for the front fenders. And still trying to workout body mounts.

I dunno, it looks pretty good to me.

Always hate mounting the body. I'm using the bumper mount with screws to hold the cab in front, and was thinking about drilling the battery box and connecting it to the cab and then adding support. Sounds very messy as I type it out. Having second thoughts already.

Btw, the battery box came out perfectly, sized just right. Thanks

Old 12-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I dunno, it looks pretty good to me.

Always hate mounting the body. I'm using the bumper mount with screws to hold the cab in front, and was thinking about drilling the battery box and connecting it to the cab and then adding support. Sounds very messy as I type it out. Having second thoughts already.

Btw, the battery box came out perfectly, sized just right. Thanks

That's good too hear.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:27 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

It's been a minute since I've had any updates on the truck but I finally came with a plan for the rear end.

I spent the last few days designing and beginning the construction of the rear bed.

It's still going to need some significant reinforcement along all the seams as it's only butt joints at the moment and I still need to make the sides. But I've finally made up my mind on what I'm doing to do with it and now I might be able use the bed (screwed onto the frame) as part of the body mount.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #29

Looks pretty good!

I'm lazy and printed a bed, still deciding how to mount it though.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Printing was my other thought.

But between needing to practice with styrene, other projects occupying my printer and my lack of confidence printing anything tall and narrow, I decided to go styrene.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:36 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

I think it looks clean in styrene. The sharp and squared off look, goes well with the build and year of the body used. I dig it
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:48 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Rig is coming along nicely brother! I've started working on my 6x6 project again. I'm using the same cab but going different out back. I've been looking for a good set of rockers for the cantilever setup. Are you happy with the ones you're using? Do you happen to have a link to the ones you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Appreciate everyones interest and input. It makes me more motivated to continue working on it and hopefully finish it one of these days.

Animalhippie, I can't say I'm dissatisfied with the canitlever kit(s), they are a mismatched set, unintentionally, both knock offs of the KYX kit that's double the price. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M5LXL9G...Y26AS974PJQ5AE
There's nothing special about them, the shocks are trash but the links and rockers seem sturdy enough and they get the job done.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:04 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Thank you for the info brother! I think I'm going to go diy. That way I can use the shocks I have. Not sure which rockers I'm going to pick up yet. Have been playing with a set of 3d printed ones, but not sure I like how they're working out. Might try to make up a set of the L shaped rockers. Hope you have a good one!!!

AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Thank you for the info brother! I think I'm going to go diy. That way I can use the shocks I have. Not sure which rockers I'm going to pick up yet. Have been playing with a set of 3d printed ones, but not sure I like how they're working out. Might try to make up a set of the L shaped rockers. Hope you have a good one!!!

No problem!

I thought about trying a walking beam style (I think) set up with a shared rocker on each side. Rather than the axles sharing a central pivot and a single leaf spring, using a shared rocker and the shocks, made stiffer than stock, like push rods. I'm going to need a second 6x6 for that though.

I bid you good [insert time of day] as well.

Old 02-13-2022, 10:48 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I decided to go a slightly different route with the bed and spent the day getting a significant amount of work done on it.
I'm thinking about adding some rails along the sides to give a little something extra to look at and (hopefully) help strengthen the walls above the bed surface. But I'll have to wait for more square plastic tubing to arrive. I ran out of the bigger size while trying to reinforce the bed from underneath.

I still have a lot of clean-up and filling to do on the bed the plate the horizontal surfaces with diamond plate.
Need to decide what color both the bed (vertical surfaces) and cab will be, I'm open to any suggestions as long as it doesn't clash with the bronze wheels.
And I'm still trying to figure out body mounts. Again, open to suggestions.

I want to try to get this truck finished (finally) before April so I can bring it with me to the local hobby expo.

Old 02-13-2022, 11:01 PM   #37

I like this better . Was thinking along similar lines about the position of the battery.

I employed a hinge system on another RC car that I have. Not sure if it'll work on these due to possible lateral movement if it rolls over.

Haven't figured out how I'm gonna mount mine yet, but it's great to see your's coming together

Old 02-13-2022, 11:16 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Looks good man!

I understand the indecisiveness lol, I’ve changed my TRX4 body like five times

Every time I open this thread I get pushed more and more over to the TRX6 world. One of these days I’ll get one, but i have too many other builds in the works

ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:19 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I'm glad you guys are liking it as much as I am. I think I'm finally happy with the design of the bed (despite not being finished yet)

I like the idea of hinge body mounts but I'm not sure there'd be enough room for the body to hinge in either direction. The bed is screwed onto the frame and can't move. The grill of the body hangs over the bumper far enough that I don't think I'd have any room for the body to hinge forward.

I definitely want to use magnets or some kind of hidden clips or posts. Body posts through the top would be super easy, but they're too ugly.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:28 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

This is a very interesting project, you are working on. The last couple of months I've been thinking to do a TRX-4 to TRX-6 conversion using one of the kits as base platform. I really like your cantilever setup.

Have you consider getting those paired magnet mounts?

https://www.rcmart.com/xtra-speed-ma...28129-00106331

If you have enough space between the battery box and the body, one pair could go there and another behind the front grill and a printed base on the chassis. Just a thought.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-6 Mini Build Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ZAD2K's First Build Thread - TRX-4 Sport Kit Zad2k Traxxas TRX-4 19 04-29-2020 07:54 AM
New TRX 4 build thread niro750 Traxxas TRX-4 7 01-05-2019 11:42 AM
mini freak's lnc build thread mini freak Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 11-27-2011 12:36 PM
mini freak's build thread mini freak Venom Creeper 16 07-29-2011 06:46 AM