Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Need suggestions for driving rear axles for a 6x6 truck please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2023, 04:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Need suggestions for driving rear axles for a 6x6 truck please

Hi everyone,

I have been searching for a while now, but for some reason I'm just not understanding how to fab up the drive for a 6x6.
I can't find a place to purchase the pass-through center axles that were used on the Axial UMG10 6x6. So that has led me down the path of searching for a transfer case that has outputs to drive a third gearbox for the rear axle.

I liked the build that Fricker08 did with his Unimog and the Mofo Rc parts printed from Thingyverse. However I'm not sure how the 3D printing process goes, then purchasing the parts goes. Do you purchase the downloads & then find someone to print them? Do you have the MOFO Rc company print them & purchase from them?

Then I found the GCM transfer case which I think is what I would need to drive two rear axles and a front axle.

The build I am planning:
AR44 straight axles (possibly changing to 6-wheel steer)
I'm wanting a flatbed that is only as wide a the chassis...won't be hauling anything because it's going to be a wrecker type of build with a tow hook.
I was thinking to start with an Axial builders kit as well as a 6x6 chassis extension from Amazon or Ebay.

Originally I had planned a TRX6 build to have the diff locking functions and portals. But after all my research I'm not sure which way to go. LOL. With a TRX6 I wouldn't have to solve the issue of driving rear axles.

I'm all combobulated in my head and maybe I'm looking for thoughts from other builders. LOL.

Thanx
Chris

Last edited by air8; 01-16-2023 at 09:28 PM.
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2023, 05:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need suggestions for driving rear axles for a 6x6 truck please

I haven't seen a great deal of 6x6s but all I have seen use pass-through axle's in the front-rear position.
Not thinking a great deal about it but not really picturing how each rear having its own driveshaft could work.
Axial's part number is AXI232000 but as you've found isn't available anywhere. I'm sure quite a few people snatched these up for 6x6s. Can always put a watch for it on Ebay.
Shame they disco'd the passthrough parts though.
Shapeways you can buy the printed parts, maybe even have prints made if they don't have what you're looking for.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace
Good luck!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Here are some Ebay options for the rear pass through axles.

I used a combination of those, Axial 6x6, and some odd and ends to make one.

That is where it ended.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

AR60s, SCX10.1, and tlt axles are the only ones that I know of having the ability of a pass through. Have you googled the UMG10 pass through part number for that axle you have? Ebay, look up the part # save the search and receive push notifications, or email. Once one comes up.... buy now
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:03 AM   #5
RCC Addict

IMO trx6 axles would be the most straight forward solution. They are typically readily available on eBay, and cost isn’t terrible for good quality name brand axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have not done that Gula.
I think I'm gonna go down the path that Fricker08 did. Apparently a friend of mine has 3D printers and said to send him the links for the Big Boy files on Thingyverse to print the dual output transmission and two styles of transfer cases.
It will be a bit more expensive since I would need parts and pieces from transmission, plus sourcing a couple driveshafts.
I am still hunting for options though. Like a 3-gear transfer case that has 3 outputs. Such as the T-case that Game Changer has a file for. There is an input from transmission and an output to the front diff on one side. Then two outputs on the opposite side.....and I 'think' the rears both turn the same direction.
With all this extra hunting, searching, and dead ends, I'm thinking the TRX6 might be the most sane option. LoL.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:25 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
IMO trx6 axles would be the most straight forward solution. They are typically readily available on eBay, and cost isn’t terrible for good quality name brand axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are kits that pop up now and then without electronics, body, wheels & tires on Ebay. I was moments away from buying one Friday evening and then fell back in the rabbit hole of videos & websites regarding 6x6 trucks.
I might as well start on one of those and see what I come with in the future for a nother build.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
I have not done that Gula.

I think I'm gonna go down the path that Fricker08 did. Apparently a friend of mine has 3D printers and said to send him the links for the Big Boy files on Thingyverse to print the dual output transmission and two styles of transfer cases.

It will be a bit more expensive since I would need parts and pieces from transmission, plus sourcing a couple driveshafts.

I am still hunting for options though. Like a 3-gear transfer case that has 3 outputs. Such as the T-case that Game Changer has a file for. There is an input from transmission and an output to the front diff on one side. Then two outputs on the opposite side.....and I 'think' the rears both turn the same direction.

With all this extra hunting, searching, and dead ends, I'm thinking the TRX6 might be the most sane option. LoL.
The TRX6 axles would be your best bet. They're a single piece housing, for strength, rather than a Frankenstein clamshell or a hodge podge of parts that have been forced to work together.
Traxxas also makes everything, for everything, forever (I'm only exaggerating a little). The TRX platform is popular enough I can't see Traxxas discontinuing parts for them.
Something to keep in mind though, the TRX6 rear axle is the special one. It's link mounts are all higher on the axle to allow for correct alignment on the truck. The middle axle is a standard TRX4 rear with a pass through instead of a diff cover.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:29 PM   #9

Hi Chris,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your 6x6 build. It sounds like you have done your research, but still have some questions about the best approach.

Regarding the MOFO Rc parts, you can either purchase the downloads and have them printed by a local printer or you can purchase them directly from MOFO Rc. It depends on your preference and the availability of a printer near you.

For your build, it sounds like the GCM transfer case is a good option as it has outputs to drive a third gearbox for the rear axle. The AR44 straight axles are also a good choice, although you mentioned the possibility of changing to 6-wheel steer.

Regarding the TRX6 build, it has the advantage of not having to solve the issue of driving rear axles as it already has differential locking functions and portals. However, it also depends on your personal preference and the look and functionality you want to achieve with your build.

In conclusion, both options have their pros and cons and it really comes down to your personal preferences and goals for the build. I hope this helps and good luck with your build!
elias_jonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Mine has never been pass through because the OG SCX10 rear axles were too close to each other (small tires and hardbody), so I went with a different setup and made a few variations of it

Current setup is Capra axles with rear wheel steering, and a custom 3d printed transfer case onto an SCX10 II transmission using internals from cheap 4outputs aliexpress cases.

I've considered a lot of options before ordering Capra axles for this thing, if you dont care about rear steer TRX axles (or even finding a complete roller) are the cheap and easy option imo
ColdFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Need suggestions for driving rear axles for a 6x6 truck please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F150 Pickup Truck Driving! RCdavek Videos! 1 10-18-2019 09:43 PM
Motor Suggestions for 6x6 build WesTX Electronics 13 06-09-2015 08:25 PM
slow driving 6x6 ax10newguy Scale Videos! 0 11-25-2012 09:42 PM
How do you clean up the truck after driving in the mud bonmot Newbie General 21 07-29-2008 12:28 PM