Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Nebraska

Notices

Thread: Howdy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #1

Default Howdy

I've been lurking around here for a while, finally decided to register.

My wife and I are looking to get into RC trucks. Our only real experience is with RadioShack type RC vehicles. We want to build some sort of course/track in the backyard, and crawling a small version of my 1:1 Blazer over rocks on a waterfall would be way cooler than just watching the water run, or doing it with the full size.

We want to get the same type of truck so we can race/compete, but we're not sure which way to go. I love the idea of crawlers, but am wondering how slow they are, and if the locked diff's get in the way of steering. She likes the E-Maxx/Revo type, since they're fast. We both like the idea of scalers, as we don't like the look of the wheels sticking out way past the body (not that there's anything wrong with that). We really like the Rubicon, Gremlin, and green toyota.

My question for you guys: can you build a general trail rig, with moderate speed and crawling capabilities, that doesn't break the bank. I don't plan on getting overly carried away with upgrades.

I'm wondering what shops in the Omaha/Lincoln area have 4wd/crawler stuff in stock. I'd love to buy local instead of over the internet.
NE79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #2

I'm still kind of new to the crawlers now, but if your looking to get into it
on an entry level, you might want to check out the Axial ready to run.

After that all you would need is batteries and a charger.

The last time I was in the Hobby plex in north Omaha they had one setting on the counter.
Biker713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

the hobby town on irvington rd in omaha has alot of stuff in stock get ahold of eritex/rd400 or myself in omaha there is alot of good people into it this year so if you have any ?? at all there will always be someone to answer them
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #4

Thanks, guys.

I'm heading to Omaha Sunday to go to Eritex Inc. I've been looking at the Axial RTR, but it doesn't seem to be built quite as sturdy as the ARTR and kit versions. I'll probably go that direction, since it seems there are a lot of parts to later on convert it to more of a scale look. My wife still wants something fast, though, so more research is yet to come.
NE79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

For something fast, AND scale, I might recommend a Traxxas Slash. They're affordable, indestructable, and about a blast and a half.

And to show how much fun they are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0D1Ng0UC8M
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i have the kit axial & i just bought the rtr, i prefer the rtr it comes with the strait axel in the rear the heavy duty lockers for the axels
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Stay away from the Hobby Towns in Lincoln if you can make the trip to Omaha. Either store here may or may not have a Axial kit in stock. And parts are extremly limited. Infact, I was at the Southpoint store yesterday and the only thing they had was one set of Axial beadlocks. Hopefully they will realise soon how crawlerws is catching on and start stocking more items.
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote