Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Nebraska

Notices

Thread: Why did I buy a Crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #1

Default Why did I buy a Crawler?

So, here I am with this crawler I dumped a few hundred bucks into wondering if I'll have a place to drive it besides my living room. So, I went down to the Plex to check it out the other day and there was one more panel done (which is awesome BTW Phil). But, I'm pretty bummed. I would like to enter in the Midwest competition coming up but haven't had a place to learn and set up my crawler. I have actually never even went through an actual course. I know there are others like me. In the small amount of time I've spent in the Hobbyplex I've seen tons of guys intersted in the crawler and very interested in the course we have been building. I guess I just don't understand why we haven't gotten this thing done and aren't doing our Tuesday night crawler club thing. I still plan on paying a double membership as soon as we get the course done. I just don't see the point until I have a place to use my crawler.

So, I guess I am wondering what others have gotten done and what the overall plan is. I am going to be building another panel for the course. But, I think that is all I can do until I see some more interest in building it. If someone needs assistance in building their panel I would be happy to help. If we get a couple guys to build the drop down part of the course I am all about helping out with that.

I do want to make sure and say thank you to Garame, Alex, Phil, and anyone else that have made what we have gotten done possible.

We have a great opportunity here to make something awesome. I hope to see all of you guys again.

I will be at the plex tonight driving my crawler on the 3 panels there.. It is Tuesday so I am going to try and be there every Tuesday from here on out with my crawler.

Lata!
Ben
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Look ben you need to understand that the idea for this panel thing came about in november & december the two biggest month's for holidays i know myself & others have been busy with family issues & holiday crap its going to take longer than 2 weeks to get that many panels done, just relax & have fun with it & enter the 2.2 challenge you will have fun & besides you need to start somewhere...................& buy the way could you have made your panel any harder!!!!!!!
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig View Post
So, here I am with this crawler I dumped a few hundred bucks into wondering if I'll have a place to drive it besides my living room. So, I went down to the Plex to check it out the other day and there was one more panel done (which is awesome BTW Phil). But, I'm pretty bummed. I would like to enter in the Midwest competition coming up but haven't had a place to learn and set up my crawler. I have actually never even went through an actual course. I know there are others like me. In the small amount of time I've spent in the Hobbyplex I've seen tons of guys intersted in the crawler and very interested in the course we have been building. I guess I just don't understand why we haven't gotten this thing done and aren't doing our Tuesday night crawler club thing. I still plan on paying a double membership as soon as we get the course done. I just don't see the point until I have a place to use my crawler.

So, I guess I am wondering what others have gotten done and what the overall plan is. I am going to be building another panel for the course. But, I think that is all I can do until I see some more interest in building it. If someone needs assistance in building their panel I would be happy to help. If we get a couple guys to build the drop down part of the course I am all about helping out with that.

I do want to make sure and say thank you to Garame, Alex, Phil, and anyone else that have made what we have gotten done possible.

We have a great opportunity here to make something awesome. I hope to see all of you guys again.

I will be at the plex tonight driving my crawler on the 3 panels there.. It is Tuesday so I am going to try and be there every Tuesday from here on out with my crawler.

Lata!
Ben
BEN?

How ya doin'? Glad to hear you are into crawling. Post some pics of your rig over on the grid when you get a chance!

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #4

Sup man! Just taking a break from racing you know? I thought having a crawler would be fun for the winter. I haven't drivin it much though... I'll be back in full swing of racing when it gets warm.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniders1975 View Post
Look ben you need to understand that the idea for this panel thing came about in november & december the two biggest month's for holidays i know myself & others have been busy with family issues & holiday crap its going to take longer than 2 weeks to get that many panels done, just relax & have fun with it & enter the 2.2 challenge you will have fun & besides you need to start somewhere...................& buy the way could you have made your panel any harder!!!!!!!
The idea came Nov. 2nd... so, I don't know. We just need to get it done. It's not like we have to work on it by ourselves... If we all pitch in it could be done on a Saturday 100% completed.

I had two guys that have never touched a crawler make it through that panel just fine and had a blast. I guess look at is as a challenge. It is a crawler you know?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
20K Club

Ben

As far as the actual competition goes, there will be a Pro and an Am class so you will be competing against quite a few other guys like yourself.

I can understand a frustration with cooperation but it seems like the time frame has been short. November and December are always going to be crazy. Hopefully you guys will really get fired up now that the announcement has been made and there will be a lot of heat from the competitors.

Last year we didn't allow ANY crawlers on the course before the event. We built the courses up from scratch and no crawlers ran it until the first competitor was up. So you will also be lucky to have the opportunity to use the course before hand.

Setup some obstacles around home or do some scouting, that's the best practice.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig View Post
Sup man! Just taking a break from racing you know? I thought having a crawler would be fun for the winter. I haven't drivin it much though... I'll be back in full swing of racing when it gets warm.
Glad to hear...

There are a lot of racers getting into crawling as a change of pace. The drama around crawling is different, yet similar to racing ;). You are an old hand at this, you will do fine.

As much as it pains me to agree with Harley, he is right. Just get out there and run it. If you miss this comp you will be sorry. Do some couch, pillow, whatever crawling to get familiar with you rig a bit and have at it. The idea is to have FUN, quit stressing over toy cars! Leave that to others...

With any luck I will be able to make it to this comp this year.

- David
Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #8

Thank you for the helpful advice guys.. It is appreciated. I have a couple other race guys wanting to get some crawlers to try something different. They are just kinda holding out until we get our course built.

I took my crawler to the Plex yesterday and messed around indoors. I wish I could see some of the other guys around here in action to see if my truck is up to par. I don't want to sink money into it unless I know it is what I need.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkingston View Post
As much as it pains me to agree with Harley, he is right.

- David
YES!!!!!!!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ben just so you know about six of us are meeting at gerames this sunday & going to try & knock out 4-6 panels
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
YES!!!!!!!
Oy Vey...
Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Why you bought a crawler.........

It's getting harder and harder to keep up with them young'ns.

You can't see the end of the track anymore.

You blew out your knees from going up and down the drivers stand stairs.

Social Security won't cover the cost of fuel anymore.

You can't tell the difference between the engine screaming and the wife.

The wife constantly complains about you using the turkey baster for fueling.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #13

i have tried making a panel out of stuff laying around and it didnt work and i dont have money right now but i would help someone esle if they wqanted some help.
tlt freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Why you bought a crawler.........

It's getting harder and harder to keep up with them young'ns.

You can't see the end of the track anymore.

You blew out your knees from going up and down the drivers stand stairs.

Social Security won't cover the cost of fuel anymore.

You can't tell the difference between the engine screaming and the wife.

The wife constantly complains about you using the turkey baster for fueling.
so much truth in that its not funny
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #15

Quote:
ben just so you know about six of us are meeting at gerames this sunday & going to try & knock out 4-6 panels
Cool, What time?

I asked this question on thanksgivng weekend, a busy time for all I know.

I asked if there was any more welding that needed to be done to the frame work, going up the wall, welding cutting grinding whatever.... and never got one DANG response out of anyone, nothin NADA, ziltch, Zip, zero!

Not even go take a flying F @ a rollin doughnut.... or a are you NUTS it's Thanksgiving.

I'm kind of handy with steel, but struggle with wood & all the other stuff to make a panel.

I'd love to help if possible, times short with work, but it would be easier for me to help & get more accomplished on a Sat. or Sunday helping than trying to make it in on a Tuesday.

Keep things posted & try to get as much notice as possible, I would have loved to gone to last Sundays meeting, but didn't have a chance to read the board until today.....
Biker713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #16

Quote:

This is good news.. I should bring my foam and make a 3rd panel.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Warpig - So are you competing? Good chance to use that brand new shiny, not a scratch on it crawler you got. ;)
stampedeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #18

probably not.... or probably.. $50 is a lot for a one day thing that I've never done before even on a club level.. I'll be working on racing by then also. I've actually used mine quite a bit the last couple months. I just don't understand the course thing yet. Hopefully some people are up at the plex tomorrow night.. I was a lone crawler last Tueday......