Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Nebraska

Notices

Thread: Sportsman Class Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
my sportsman rigs are 3 stock frame axial ax10's the only thing on mine is the bta kit... all will have proline tube frame body's oh and all have emaxx shocks with losi white springs... the thing with 1.9 is i would have to buy 3 new rigs and then make them comp worthy and i am not doing that
So, where do we run 2.2 and sportsman at the same time on different courses so you can run 2 classes and have the room to do it without sacrificing half the length and time for each class?

Last edited by Eritex Inc.; 09-21-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quite a discussion going here . . .

I primarily started this thread because I heard that we had members of the club building rigs for a beginner class that we don't even run.

I was wondering if this means that the club wants to start a beginner class.
(It's beginning to look like there is a solid interest in doing this)

I'm guessing that you don't like the idea of running Sportsman on the first 5 gates of our 2.2 courses because you want to run both classes.

Is this correct?
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I guess another important question would be:

Are you just wanting a random Sportsman comp here and there, or are you wanting to add it to the entire comp schedule?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

ok my thoughts are...
7 - 8 min on a 2.2 course is way to long , go to a big comp they are 4 or 5 mins
60 point point out again is not at big comps... if we are trying to get us used to going to comps to represent the NSCA we should get us used to comp standards...

sportsman not a beginner class so to speak but a class to get a rig in that will not cost a lot... a way to help club members and new people that don't want to get or cant afford a dig , 3 channel radio and a extra servo

sportsman class
6 min / 60 point out

2.2 class
4-5 min with a 40 point out

as far as room to run we run 2 courses at a time anyways so we can run a sportsman and a 2.2 class at the same time...it only take 10 min at most to set a course. now for the winter series we can allow free reverses on the tight turns where the 2.2 have digs

most of us already have 2.2 rigs so why would we want to buy a new one, we can up grade our sportsman to a 2.2 class when we move up and feel more ready to play with the big boys
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
Ty
Quarry Creeper

I just want to use the Axial I have just sitting here, and I love to comp. I would like to run 1.9 but like Dew said I already have the Axial. I dont care about a point series or anything like that, I just want to get better at crawling. Looking for a 1.9 now!
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #26

well, i want a class that limits the total cost to 200.00.Can we add that also Jim? Pleasseeee!

Last edited by 1428turbo; 09-21-2010 at 07:05 PM.
1428turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
ok my thoughts are...
7 - 8 min on a 2.2 course is way to long , go to a big comp they are 4 or 5 mins
60 point point out again is not at big comps... if we are trying to get us used to going to comps to represent the NSCA we should get us used to comp standards...

sportsman not a beginner class so to speak but a class to get a rig in that will not cost a lot... a way to help club members and new people that don't want to get or cant afford a dig , 3 channel radio and a extra servo

sportsman class
6 min / 60 point out

2.2 class
4-5 min with a 40 point out

as far as room to run we run 2 courses at a time anyways so we can run a sportsman and a 2.2 class at the same time...it only take 10 min at most to set a course. now for the winter series we can allow free reverses on the tight turns where the 2.2 have digs

most of us already have 2.2 rigs so why would we want to buy a new one, we can up grade our sportsman to a 2.2 class when we move up and feel more ready to play with the big boys
That sounds like a lot of the things that are on my list to discuss at the meeting on the 2nd.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my "beginner class" comments.
I was going by what Jason said when they were discussing adding a Sportsman class.

Quote:
The intention is to run on easier courses.

The intent is to give newbies a place to get started and then work up to the 2.2 class.

It's a "gateway" class.
That's why I was calling it a beginner class. That sounds like the intent of the class to me.

Cost isn't really a factor. If you have a 2.2 rig you can run Sportsman with it. You just can't use the dig is all. Even the part about limiting to shafties is optional.

Quote:
- 2.5.8 - (OPTIONAL) Vehicles are limited to 1 motor powering both of the axles.
If we don't limit it to shafties, you can run your comp Bully or Berg as long as you don't use the dig. (as long as you only have one ESC in your rig)

We could obviously add on to this. We could limit it as much as we want.
We could say only shafties, and limit the batteries and motors too.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1428turbo View Post
well, i want a class that limits the total cost to 200.00.Can we add that also Jim? Pleasseeee!
Sounds good Brent, we can run these

http://www.amazon.com/Maisto-R-C-Roc.../dp/B003ML36HI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-utG3puIv0

I saw them at Target the other day!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
ok my thoughts are...
I agree but we bumped up the time and score to give people longer to work the courses.

Quote:
I disagree.

The cost of a 3 channel radio is no more then a 2 channel.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNHS1**&P=0

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM3160

A dig can be built for less then $40.00 with a $10.00 servo included.

A more reliable and stronger dig setup

Quote:
Then sell them and build a 1.9. Like I said before, run all 3 classes but leave the Sportsman for the new crawlers and the inexperienced. I just do not like the idea of top local drivers beating the crap out of new guys in a class that is meant to be a safe place to learn the ropes. Also, just because you are not spending much on your Sportsman rig does not mean others will do the same. Also, when guys want to jump up to 2.2, they will most likely build a new rig (MOA) so saying can just jump up is kinda bogus as well.

Lets try running all 3 classes, but Sportsman NEEDS to be a be a beginners class, pure and simple.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Like you guys KC guys wanted to run a Sportsman class last year. We did it because everyone wanted to use their shafty trucks still (we also run 1.9). It still allows new guys to come in and compete at a more level playing field but still allows everyone in the club to drive more. We build the courses easy and it's pretty relaxed class. The thing is that there just isn't that many new people and if thats where you're trying to restrict it then it's going to be the one new guy playing with himself

In the end we still had one of our newest members win one of the sportsman comps this year.
don't know if you were talking about me or budha but either way i really enjoy having a sportsman class , for one thing i don't have alot of money to put into this hobby i get what i can when i can , and as cheaply as possible. we usually have enough room to setup all courses so nobody that runs a 2.2 ( sportsman or pro ) gets to pre-run a course , but i see the point of not having the room to have all of the courses seperate . i usually run both sportsman and pro ( just no dig ) so i can get more wheel time , and the " pro " guys are always there to give advice and teach us newbies how to do it or to make suggestions on how to improve . i myself don't really mind if i run against the pros in sportsman it just makes me improve my driving skills , by the way i usually like to watch the pro's run the course first ( i learn how to figure out lines and when to back off and try another approach ) . the sportsman 2.2 class besides being a beginner or learning class should also be considered as a class for those of us that can't afford to build a $ 500-1000 crawler but we can build a basic crawler and improve on it slowly . this is just my .02
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:00 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

the drive shaft digs are junk... if they worked that well you and vanquish would not have built the digs we have today

i see the radio point...but i am talking about using what we already have

i cant see selling a 2.2 rig to get a 1.9 then go back to 2.2 when they are ready to step up
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

If we are gonna try to keep a sprtsman calss to beginners then there would be only 2 or 3 guys threre. And in my opinion that would be pretty lame. Also how do people get better if they dont have somebody to watch, and learn. I can tell you this, if I never was able to watch the pros do their work. I would never get better and there would be noone to help set my truck up.

I just think that we are going at this in the wrong way.

I font think it is neccessary to start a 1.9 class. Why cant we just get together more oftern with our 2.2 comp rigs. If thats what everyone is looking for is more time to comp and get together, lets just do it with the trucks we have.
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
the drive shaft digs are junk...
So do most other parts on a stock Axial, but they are used all the time by newer crawlers until they save a little money and upgrade. You talked of keeping the price down but I still do not see any real savings in running a completely different class (Sportsman) over having them run in with the 2.2's. All I see is that some want to run a second class to use there old shaft driven rigs they have laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by major94 View Post
If we are gonna try to keep a sprtsman calss to beginners then there would be only 2 or 3 guys threre. And in my opinion that would be pretty lame. Also how do people get better if they dont have somebody to watch, and learn. I can tell you this, if I never was able to watch the pros do their work. I would never get better and there would be noone to help set my truck up.
If we ran the Sportsman class within the 2.2 then the newer drivers would be running against the entire field and they would be seeing the top local guys clearing the same gates they are trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by major94 View Post
I font think it is neccessary to start a 1.9 class. Why cant we just get together more oftern with our 2.2 comp rigs. If thats what everyone is looking for is more time to comp and get together, lets just do it with the trucks we have.
I think starting a 1.9 class WILL fill the needs and wants of the people who are looking to run a second class. As far as getting together and comping more, the NSCA had about the most active comp schedule in the nation. Between our Summer and winter series we average at least 15 events a year. Most other clubs that I have seen are in the 8 to 12 per year. Plus, nothing stops guys and gals from getting together and crawling on their own.

Sportsman = new crawlers

1.9 = more affordable drivers class

2.2 = Top dawg crawling around these parts
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #34
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
Sportsman = new crawlers

1.9 = more affordable drivers class

2.2 = Top dawg crawling around these parts
I have to disagree a little with you Gerame. The 1.9 is the BIGGEST MONEY PIT I OWN. Obviously I build trucks with a lot of nice parts because I am able to, but the mini MADE ME do it. If I didn't replace it, it fell apart on that little POS. I can't tell you how bad every stock Losi part on that kit made me. There are 3 things in my MRC that are still stock, axle cases, transmission case, and axle gears. Everything else, top to bottom on that thing is new.

Now of course, my "Sportsman" rig is awefully nice too but that is only because I wanted it to be. I could have used tons of stock parts and it would have held up.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have to disagree a little with you Gerame. The 1.9 is the BIGGEST MONEY PIT I OWN. Obviously I build trucks with a lot of nice parts because I am able to, but the mini MADE ME do it. If I didn't replace it, it fell apart on that little POS. I can't tell you how bad every stock Losi part on that kit made me. There are 3 things in my MRC that are still stock, axle cases, transmission case, and axle gears. Everything else, top to bottom on that thing is new.

Now of course, my "Sportsman" rig is awefully nice too but that is only because I wanted it to be. I could have used tons of stock parts and it would have held up.
That's why I said that cost is not really a factor in running the Sportsman class. We have more money in Amanda's RTR axial with no dig than in my Losi MOA rig.

Quote:
The 1.9 is the BIGGEST MONEY PIT I OWN.
So if you started with the new Mini Crawler PRO at $219 does that fix all of the issues that you had with your Mini?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #36
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
So if you started with the new Mini Crawler PRO at $219 does that fix all of the issues that you had with your Mini?
It definitely addresses a lot of the problem, and you don't waste money on the stock electronics. Bang for the buck is increased substantially. I am guessing you are still going to be around $500 to get it rolling, but that is about 1/3 of what mine is sitting at.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I have a question. How long before EVERY Sportsman rig ran by the guys that run in the 2.2 class is at the same cost or within $100.00 of the 2.2 class?

I am betting by the second Sportsman comp, it will be like throwing the new guys in with the 2.2 class. Yup, this will be great for new crawlers with there close to stock Venom and AX10....
Old 09-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

The CORA Kids Cralwers are pretty spendy with all that they've had put into them, BUT, they still don't perform any better than a stock rig with the "Driver" being the one doing the work. (heck, they're running droop suspension)
I think it would be a good chance to get others involved and help them with doing the right things, be it mods, or driving tech.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #39
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
I am betting by the second Sportsman comp, it will be like throwing the new guys in with the 2.2 class. Yup, this will be great for new crawlers with there close to stock Venom and AX10....
If you have guys with a stock MRC vs a comp ready version it's even worse.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
If you have guys with a stock MRC vs a comp ready version it's even worse.

But we are not talking about noobs running in the 1.9 as a BEGINNERS class like the Sportman class should be. Come on people, keep up