Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Nebraska

Notices

Thread: Lookin for club input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #1

Default Lookin for club input.

Alright guys and girls, I have a bully roller coming, I know, finally, I would like the clubs input on good, relible and affordable electronics. I have my bro here to tell me stuff but would like to see what ya got, if you have stuff to sell let me know, I need a good steering servo, would like a digital radio system, ya know the good stuff. Let me know what ya think or have to get rid of. This will be a winter project for me, hopefully have it done for some of the winter series if I can get the items to finish it. I will be using the RS 10 until it is finished. Thanks all.
Cookie Monster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

How much are you wanting to spend on the electronics?
Budget minded but good, or price is no object?

You may want to look into getting a Novak M2 ESC/Dig unit.
It is supposed to do everything you would want for an MOA crawler.

I almost exclusively run Castle ESCs. I have a sidewinder in my Losi MOA.

Other than the Novak M2, your options are to run one ESC with an electronic
dig unit (either built or purchased) or run 2 ESCs with a Novak "the Dig" unit.

For a servo, I have been really happy with my Hobico CS-170. It is a
titanium geared servo with 333oz of torque at 6v for about $90.
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

x2 on what Jim said.
Joe you got PM
Psychomonkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #4

Ok Jim, does the plex have the radio system and do they have the servo.
My whole idea is to stay local with my purchases and if i can't, I want to get good stuff from people lookin to get rid of stuff to make some money for whatever. I personally am not comforable just buying brand new over the internet, I know, kind of weird. Thanks for the input and lets keep it coming, thanks Chad and you got a pm too.

As far as budget, like I have said before, the best I can get and as cheap as possible, I know, keep dreamin, but i want to be more competitive especially this next spring and summer. If this rig takes me all winter to build that is fine.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yes, the 'Plex will pretty much have anything you wanted or get it in for you in a few days.

For the radio system, you will have a lot of choices too.
You can spend $99 for a Spektrum Dx3E which gives you a 2.4Ghz with a multiple position 3rd channel or you can go clear up to the Futaba 4PK for $499 and have four channels with channel mixing, etc.
Of course there are several choices in between too.
It may be best to decide which route you're going to go with your electronics first, and then decide how much radio you need.
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #6

Thanks again Jim, the spectrum seems to be all I'll need, the 4pk is really cool but expensive. I will be doing some looking and shoping this weekend.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
20K Club

If you wait a month or so the 4PL would be a better radio for the Bully. It will be under $200 and will be able to do all the fun stuff we do with the 4PK on the MOA rigs. If you want to be competitive dual ESC's is a nice advantage and can be done pretty affordable now. A second ESC isn't much, if any, more expensive then finding a punk dig.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:18 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i am waiting wonders if they make a futaba 4xl shirts
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #9

Thanks for the input, so the 4pl is a 4 channel? And how close to 200 is it? Since dual esc's was mentioned, what do you recomend. I currently am running a Mamba Maxx in my shafty, it works fine, I had to add a external BEC, the funny thing is, the truck ran fine for most of the summer and then all of a sudden I had power issues to my steering and dig, put the BEC on and power got better than before. Also looking at a Castle Sidewinder from another member. Are these good for twin 35turn motors. I have the newest RC4WD dig unit, I got it for my RS 10 but intend on getting another if i like it or just pulling from the RS10 when the time comes.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #10

Ok, so I bought the DX3E, used it on bros rig for a while, love it.
Bought a Castle Sidewinder from Chad and will be putting it my bully.
Burned up a RC4WD dig, did not even hit the rocks with it and had barley 5 minutes tinker time on it, sucks. Need to know if buying a punk unit will be better or just buy another esc and do the duel esc thing.
Still need a better steering servo, looking to get the HighTec with 330oz of torque, if you guys know of one that is just as good and cheaper let me know, pretty much figure on spending 100 on the hightec but would spend less for the same or close to the same power.
Looking to use 35t motors, any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster Joe View Post
Still need a better steering servo, looking to get the HighTec with 330oz of torque
Hobbico CS70 is a lot cheaper and its the exact same servo.

I got 35t HH TorqueMaster Pro handwound motors on my Berg and love them.

Don't buy a Punk Dig from Robin. As much as I try to support the vendors on here...I don't recommend this one. The product is great but the service is horrible.
If your gonna buy one, get it from somebody like CKRC as Robin can take months to ship his and you will never hear from him after he takes your money. If ya don't believe me....go read his thread here.

I do have a Punk Dig that is NIB that might be for sale....if I decided to go the M2 route.

....sorry not a club member....I will be quiet now.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #12

Its all good Mad Dawg, was not really restricted to NSCA, was just easier to put it here and not get all the bs of the regular board. So are you gonna come over and crawl with us this winter? The new indoor coarse is fun. So, you have a nib punk unit huh, if you are going to sell it let me know before you post it please, I got my other unit off of the for sale board and it was new but have no order number from rc4wd to send it back for warranty, kind of screwed on that one. Oh well. Thanks for the input, if any of the other Ia Rock boys have stuff to sell that fits my build let me know or have them pm me and if any of you guys get free time and want to make the trip we'd love to have ya, only cost 3 bucks to crawl indoors, that is asides from the trip over costs.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster Joe View Post
So are you gonna come over and crawl with us this winter?

Yup, just as soon as I get a crawler put back together.

The LCC is down for the next few months. It will have a new DMG chassis, JRH BL motor and Losi HD gears before it sees another course.

The Berg is getting a BJ V4 chassis. I am not sure if I will use the Punk Dig or the Novak M2. The chassis is here, just need to get to work on it.

The MRC Pro is waiting for the ProLine Bug body to get painted and the new wheels and Nova foams to arrive.

Will try and make the December 18th comp with the MRC Pro and Berg. The LCC parts won't be released in time for this one.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 11-21-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #14

Yeah, got bullies and some other goodies, waiting for them to get here. Trying to get all good stuff to put in and make a really good comp machine. Hope to see ya over here.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

for the money this is a much better servo then the cs170 at almost the same price

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitec-HS-7954SH-...#ht_2327wt_905
Old 12-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #16

Well, I'm gonna refresh this thread since it relates to Bully stuff.

I rather unexpectedly won a Fleabay auction for some Bully axles with motors and a Punk Dig.

Now I'm looking for suggestions for chassis and links to proceed with the build. I'm leaning towards a T1E with the high clearance links, but I'm not yet decided.

I'll probably end up going Aluminum Traxxas Big Bore for the shocks (I'll get the T-maxx set and use the extras for my scaler). Sidewinder or FXR for the speedo and Servo TBD.
benchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

not sure you going to like the t1e...Chad tried it on his bully and couldn't find a good set up... went with a jp hellstorm chassis and his and heathers work great...i had a jp hellstorm chassis on mine and it worked good...just didn't feel the moa thing (for now)
Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #18

I'm open to anything. I figure I've got some time to get everything together.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

My girls Bully is using a T1E moonbuggy chassis with the HC rears and semi bent fronts. The BeetleJuice V2-V4 are very Bully friendly. I'm running the TAG HC chassis the team drivers had but I've also got an original TAG that I modded as the first "slant" skid version. Your welcome to it if you want. I've got delrin for skids and chassis supports as well so you can make what ever width you want. I got my links of the bay (Revo turn buckles and push rods) and made my links out of them. They work Killer for light weight and keeping things small. (the Bully needs the room.)
I used to run dig swtiches on a plastic plate i made, then went to the Punk and an FXR. Now i'm going to 2 FXRs and a 7980 servo. (611oz )
I run the big bores with the cap mod as well.
If you wanna pimp that Bully out, check out the Bully section, there are a few good mods in there that don't take money, just some time. They are pretty bullit proof.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #20

I've been trying to read up on the Bully section.

Read through your modified Tag chassis thread, and several of your lightening threads. Lots of good info there.

If your gonna be at the plex Saturday for the NSCA winter series, bring the chassis and we can talk.
I'm gonna try and stop out for a little while and see if I can't gleam some more useful information from everyone. (That and I need to finish up my X-mas wish list for the wife) Unfortunately I've got a family obligation in the afternoon, so Herbie the monster beetle (and I) won't be able to comp.

Ben O.