Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Nevada

Notices

Thread: nellis afb crawlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default nellis afb crawlin

is anybody in the Air Force, or have access to the base? theres a couple of really good places to dink around that i have found. here are some pics, and my new crawler.. i look forward to meeting some of the local crawlers and seeing some real cralers in action!! heres my slightly modified stocker.

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv174/slowstang88/
slowstang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

sweet pic bro.....is nellis near durango?
hansom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Well, Nellis AFB is in the northeast corner of Las Vegas about 3 miles south of Las Vegas Motor Sports Park. However, I dont plan to just crawl on base here, I will be going to Lake Mead next weekend and hitting up some of those awesome rock formations I have seen!!

Nate Sanders
Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Check outour local board www.sincityrcrc.com . We just had a comp yesterday at Hemmenway Harbor out at the south end of Lake Mead. Our next comp is at Valley of Fire in March but we have fun crawls almost every weekend.

Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Nate I'm not far from you... craig and walnut. Anyway if you head out toward lake mead on lake mead DR just after you cross the saddle of sunrise mountain there are several gravel roads/trails that lead off to the right... you'll find red rocks out there just like culetto's pic...close to home and you could spend DAYS out there finding new lines to crawl. one word of caution... if your driving a slowstang you may not make it to the rocks... 2WD truck is OK but 4WD would be safer as you travel through some washes(kinda soft) to get next to the rock formations.

John

Last edited by JSN; 02-23-2009 at 01:50 PM.
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
RC Axle Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
Nate I'm not far from you... craig and walnut. Anyway if you head out toward lake mead on lake mead DR just after you cross the saddle of sunrise mountain there are several gravel roads/trails that lead off to the right... you'll find red rocks out there just like culetto's pic...close to home and you could spend DAYS out there finding new lines to crawl. one word of caution... if your driving a slowstang you may not make it to the rocks... 2WD truck is OK but 4WD would be safer as you travel through some washes(kinda soft) to get next to the rock formations.

John
Be careful where you drive behind Sunrise mountain you can get a $120 ticket for driving you car or truck on those dirt roads. There are some really nice crawl spots back there just watch for the rangers. You would be better off hooking up with some of the Sincityrcrc guys that can take you to the safe spots around town.
LetsHandleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

thanks for the locations and warnings guys! i dont drive the stang right now, its in pieces at a friends house in montana right now, and it aint slow anymore.. it used to be a n/a 4 banger with an auto tranny, now its a 2.3T with a 5 speed and a few mods.. but thats neither here nor there.. i have an exploder now. is the area pictured strictly off limits, or just to vehicles? thanks again guys, i look forward to meeting you!!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
RC Axle Master

The area in the picture is the Valley of Fire and has paved roads there are some dirt roads the can be driven on. We will be having a comp there next month and it is a state park no offroading there. The back side of sunrise mountain is apart of the Lake Mead park so there is no offroading there. You can walk into the locations and drive the RC Crawlers without any problems.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Nate sorry to almost get ya in trouble!!! I didn't find out until today that the area is closed to off-road travel... I guess I was lucky to not have a ranger in the area when i was out there. Too bad... as its a real nice spot and close to home
Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

its all good, i will explore it on foot, im a hiker anyway! plus this state has a lot of rock to explore, so i usually keep my crawler with me just in case...
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Anytime you would like to join us let us know.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

will do boss, this weekend is looking like a wash though unfortunately... not to mention the 55 turn motor i just put in my rig is clicking, so i am going to dis assemble and see if it has any debris in there.. sounds like something in the brush rubbing the commutator or something, wont know till i get it apart, but it dont sound good... i initially took off my slipper assembly and reassembled because the spring was kinda sideways and thought it was that, but reassembled and was still making the noise.. then i tore my tranny apart, but nothing in there either.. i hooked the motor up to the leads and pulled the trigger and it makes the noise more going forward than reverse.. we will see!! oh yeah, i wonder.. did novak fix their rooster esc problem cause mine hasnt glitched, even with the rtr 27am radio

nate sanders
Old 02-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
RC Axle Master

We have a GTG this Saturday at Lone Mountain starting at 9:00am.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

yeah, today is def no good, were moving... i took the endbell off yesterday and the end of one of the comms right at the comm segment it had a little rough spot, so i fixed that and all is well with the world..
Old 02-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
RC Axle Master

Great hope to see you out soon.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

well, me and the fam are going to Mead tomorrow, and i told the wife that since i dont have a fishkin license yet i would be bringing my crawler.. she actually doesnt mind that i spend time and money on this thing, i may keep her for a while longer!!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #17

Hey guys my husband and I are heading to Laughlin March 16-20th. Are there ant good spots around that area? Are you guys planning any fun crawls during that time? My husband runs 2.2 pro and I run 2.2 novice. We are from Winnemucca but would like to crawl during that week.
thanks
crawlerchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

man, the rocks around lake mead are rough!! and they crawl like mad too, it was a blast!!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
RC Axle Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerchic View Post
Hey guys my husband and I are heading to Laughlin March 16-20th. Are there ant good spots around that area? Are you guys planning any fun crawls during that time? My husband runs 2.2 pro and I run 2.2 novice. We are from Winnemucca but would like to crawl during that week.
thanks
I have not seen anyone from Laughlin or Bullhead City post anything about crawling spots. There should be some good spots around there.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
JSN
Quarry Creeper

I was out in the red rock area just the other side of sunrise today... I've been parking on the side of the road and hiking in. from where we were(on top of a rock) I could see our truck and could see several rangers had some people that were on the other side of the road from us pulled over...I watched these people go in as we got there so i figured they were getting ticked for off-road travel. I figured for sure i was next so we headed back to the truck... a nice female ranger drove up on me and the wife as we were heading back to the truck(to get that ticket) she asked if the red truck over there was ours... yea it is... well sir your the ONLY person so far not getting a ticket... i about busted out with a big WAHOOOOO! but i contained myself... anyway she said" you didn't cross my brown sign and your far enough off the road to not cause a problem in anyway... have a nice day"

I'll be out in that area most every weekend from now until it get WAY to HOT its a freaking cool little spot to crawl!