Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Nevada

Notices

Thread: las vegas area crawl spots. [[[UPDATED 02-13-12]]]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default las vegas area crawl spots. [UPDATED 07/27/13]

since we're getting some new guys here in town lately. the question "where do i crawl" has been asked a time or two. and since Sincityrcrc.com is no more, i figured we needed a thread with all of our crawling locations.

-calico basin. red and white sandstone, endless crawling, great for scalers and comp rigs alike. there are actually 2 crawl spots here, upper and lower calico. park at the south end of Sandstone Dr at the bend in the road and walk in to the white sandstone area or park at the north end and walk in a little further to the red rock at the end of the dirt road. you can crawl for days and days and not see it all.
sandstone dr Calico Basin, Clark, Nevada - Google Maps

-Lone Mt. super grippy gray rock that's easy to access. the mountain is right next to lone mt pars so parking is not an issue. destroying crawlers however, is. the rock is unlike anything else you'll see, traction is incredible. but you're on the side of a mountain, rigs have been known to fall/tumble 100'+. not as appealing to scalers, this place is all about the comp rigs. enter the far south parking lot off of N Jensen St and drive right up to the mountain.
lone mountain, las vegas nv - Google Maps

-Crawlege Crawlege is a wash on the southern edge of henderson, about 1/4mi long. the rock is awesome but can be deceiving. it looks like traction would not be a problem, but in places its super slick. many many competitions have been held here and we keep finding new lines, it never gets old. the road in scares some people but you can access it with any type of vehicle (ive driven my VW jetta there dozens of times.)
crawlege crawl spot - Google Maps

-Bootleg Canyon this is one of our oldest crawl spots, we've been crawling here since 2005. Bootleg is a canyon out side of boulder city known for world class mountain biking. the dirt road into it is washboarded and there isn't a lot of parking space but the rock is sweet and the occasional crashing mountain biker makes it so worth it. the rock is the same as crawlege, grippy in places and slicker than shit in places. turn left onto bootleg canyon rd off the 93 and take it all the way up into the mountains. as you drive up the canyon you'll see the rock surrounding the road and a "stove pipe" sticking up out of the rock at a right turn in the road, park on the side of the road and go crawlin!
Bootleg Canyon, Boulder City, NV - Google Maps

-Valley of Fire Valley of Fire is a state park about 45min to an hour north of las vegas on I-15. you have to pay to get in, but it's well worth it. the sandstone is endless!! we've held a few decent sized competitions and gone out with just a few guys several times, the rangers have never been an issue, we're on good terms with them. *if you go out there to crawl, make sure you keep it that way.* we can't make any lasting impressions on the rocks here, chalk is even frowned upon. we love this place for scalers, the terrain makes for great trailrides. comp rigs are also at home here, there's plenty of rock to go around. camping and picnic areas are available as well.
Valley of Fire State Park, NV - Google Maps

-Redstone Located roughly 35mi northeast of Las Vegas on Northshore Dr in Lake Mead state park is a bit out of the way for some. The rock here is the same red sandstone you find at a few other local crawl spots, bright red and beautiful. Traction is no problem, especially when the temps are up, tires really soften up here in the desert. There is a parking lot, bathroom and a few picnic tables here, would be a good place for picnics while crawling. Nearly endless crawling, for both scale and competition crawlers.

-Logandale Trails
the furthest away of any of our crawl spots, logandale trails will take you about an hour or so to get to. this place is more well known for full scale rock crawling and ATV riding. the red sandstone is never ending here, as it is the same mountain range as Valley of Fire. there are also sand dunes for the go fast RCs. take I-15 north out of town to exit 93, moapa valley blvd. take moapa valley blvd to Liston, turn right (at the chinese restaurant) at the end of liston get on the dirt road, cross the train tracks and follow that road all the way back to the bathrooms, picnic area and parking lot. from there you can drive down the paved hill to the dunes and miles of rock or park there, eat lunch and crawl within 100' of the bathrooms.
36.593913,-114.526649 - Google Maps

EDIT 02-13-12
/////here's a map of the whole area i just put together\\\\\
las vegas crawl spots - Google Maps

Last edited by dieselfuel; 07-29-2013 at 08:43 PM.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

photos...

=Lone Mt=

=Lower Calico=

=Upper Calico=

=Crawlege=

=Valley of Fire=

=Bootleg Canyon=

=Logandale=
all i have is a video from 3-4 yrs ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG5cOQeHOug
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Nice spots dieselfuel im familiar with them I have to come out somtime wgen you guys go , working on my 1.9 .
anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: las vegas area crawl spots. [[[UPDATED 02-13-12]]]

check out the update guys! we've got 14 spots on the map right now!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

Yo Scott, is anyone still comping 2.2s?
5p3ktrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5p3ktrum View Post
Nope, that died out a year or two ago now.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #7

Bummer, scale here I come...
5p3ktrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5p3ktrum View Post
I am building a copperhead from RC4wd. All I need is a radio, reciever, batts, charger. Got me a savox 200oz servo a few weeks ago. Just waiting for more money.
TheReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this should be stickied in the Nevada Regional section! I am up there often and will take my rigs next time. looks great! I have spent a lot of time in Valley of Fire and have wanted to take my rigs. Where do you wheel there? From which parking lots?

Upper and Lower Calico are not inside Red Rock, are they? I wouldn't want to pay 12 dollars again, or however much is it now. That place is too crowded
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50king View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this should be stickied in the Nevada Regional section! I am up there often and will take my rigs next time. looks great! I have spent a lot of time in Valley of Fire and have wanted to take my rigs. Where do you wheel there? From which parking lots?

Upper and Lower Calico are not inside Red Rock, are they? I wouldn't want to pay 12 dollars again, or however much is it now. That place is too crowded
This has always been sticky in the Nv section.......

Upper and Lower Calico is free - not inside the state park at all.
Not sure on the Valley of Fire - I have only been in the back side, which is a whole different story.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

i just updated the map again, added a few that were missing.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This thread is the only sticky for nev.
Can I get a link to this "map" please.
Whiplashdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Link to the map is in the first post.....
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote