Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > New Mexico

Notices

Thread: Houston...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Houston...

...we have a problem. Well, sort of. So, by Aaron's inspiration I custom 4-linked my high-lift. I wasn't ready to call it quits on the rig, and quite frankly I like it better than the honcho, much better.

So, after learning how to weld, and a few learning curves I did (not to mention, several texts to said Aaron).

Welp, this week, I ordered and received the MT baja Claws... they just come in.. and I don't get the wheels until tomorrow, but I decided to mach up the rubber and see how it looks.

Well, LoL, I guess I "under estimated" their height/size... Not quite sure what happened here, I usually do well in the math class, but, well you judge:

First shot, they don't appear too out of range, but look a bit bulky... not bad

here is where you see the problems... At full lock right (this is a mach up) the tire already touches the bumper... add a sliver of compression/flex and my chrome will go flying (again).

Even worse on full left lock, but I can do away with the sliders... I suppose

the tires compared...

Quick cell phone snap of the 4-link in the rear...

So, I'd rather not do any body modifications other than naturally occuring ones... I was thinking of maybe a body lift, but then that will kill my COG (right Roglum?)

Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions... Oh, and "give me the rubbers" is not a valid suggestion
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Not sure how you feel about doing this to your body, but you could re radius the fender openings(Edit: Just Enough) to be wider and trim the edges of your bumper to fit. Im sure you could get away with giving it a slight body lift for final clearance issues.

The side shot looks pretty sweet

Last edited by gottorque; 02-08-2011 at 10:06 PM.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

well if you want I have a 350 body laying around I'll part with.
DKSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ya,

Good advice. DK, I might have to take you up on that offer, I will let you know.

I think I am going to trim the fenders like torque says and then make some cool bushwacker fender flares. I need to search for a thread on how to make some cool ones out of some rubbery black material or something.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Just hit it with some krylon coat. . . . .

But anyways rig is lookin good man, like the way the 4 link turned out

Last edited by Chappy4o; 02-09-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy4o View Post
Just hit it with some krylon coat. . . . .

But anyways rig is lookin good man, like the way the 4 link turned out

Thanks man, I really like the way it came out too. I got the wheels mounted yesterday and they look sweet ( I will post pictures tonite). I was able to finish the steering last nite and i have to say I really like the way it handled in just the 5 minutes I was toying with it. I want to try and take it out this weekend sometime and give it a good test.

Has great flex (well, compared the stiff leafs before) and I was still able to keep the 3-speed tranny... although it doesn't sit as low because the tires added a ton of clearance.

And one other things I noticed, it turns considerably better than stock...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X42HEL View Post
...And one other things I noticed, it turns considerably better than stock...
HAHAHA.... Something modded run better then stock?? WHAT????

Looks like I was not the only one to catch the mod fever! Looking good! Man these tires are HUGE.

Here they are mounted up to my Rok Lox's... and I thought those were huge!

They make my old set up look like cookie cutters!
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd44 View Post
HAHAHA.... Something modded run better then stock?? WHAT????

Looks like I was not the only one to catch the mod fever! Looking good! Man these tires are HUGE.

Here they are mounted up to my Rok Lox's... and I thought those were huge!

They make my old set up look like cookie cutters!
Right on man! Ya, before I got them I figured it's just another set of tires, but once I saw them in hand, they are freaken amazing. I've heard both sides of the spectrum on their performance, but I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

As far as the turning, I think it had to do with the original setup of the 350 steering. Have you seen a stock setup? It allows you to have the option of 4-wheel steering or chose the lockouts (which I did from day 1). Well, I ditched that (had to) for the front links and mounted the servo up front (where the shift servo goes, then moved the shift servo to the back) and now its a "direct linkage" to the hub, which is why I believe I saw the performance gain.

My only concern, is out of the entire thing, I think that steering linkage is the weakest part, I'm certain it will hold up, but if were to break, that would be place.

Just very impressed that it turns those "44s" with ease, and my radius has decreased.

I need to take it out and test....
Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default Got Flex?

OK,

I really like the way they came out with the wheels. I was a bit uncertain because seems like nobody really uses the Titus wheels in the 1.9 category.

Still need to monkey with the shocks to maximize they performance and travel, but I'm very pleased with the flex.

Side shot:

Somewhat flex shot (couldn't have done that with a leaf):

And a decent shot of the links:

Now I just need to replace the stock 540 can that has just about had 250K scale miles on it lol... I'm thinking I will stick with a 27turn brushed.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I really think you should look into moving the tranny/transfer case up at least an inch, maybe less now with the added clearance of those tires. Check out Chino63s build on his OG scaler. Mounted his 3sp sideways.

Other than that the rig looks really good with the shoes.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
I really think you should look into moving the tranny/transfer case up at least an inch, maybe less now with the added clearance of those tires. Check out Chino63s build on his OG scaler. Mounted his 3sp sideways.

Other than that the rig looks really good with the shoes.
Ya, I was thinking of revisiting this after a few runs to see how I like the performance. Moving the tranny is going to be a big alteration because I would have to dismount the entire frame and they would shift a lot of my COG up (motor is the highest object).

I think I want to focus my efforts on another scaler project after this, but we will see...
Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Took the two rigs out today and had some fun out on Spain Trail and White Wash with Gottorque...

Over-all very pleased with the performance of the conversion. Obviously night and day between the leafs, but I need to change my can to a higher wind. The stock 540 (27T) had fits even in 1st gear because of the height of the tires. In 2nd and 3rd it just popped the slipper clutch and didn't move an inch. Except the pavement, in 3rd gear it flies like grease lightning.

I made some adjustments when I come home, because I had the battery in the back and wheel weights on all 4s (you would think I learned from the honcho in our last excursion). I moved the battery up towards the center, and removed the wheel weights in the rear altogether.

Now that I made those changes, I can't wait to take it out again and see its performance dialed in. As far as the tires, I'd have to say they are comparable to the Flats. On the rocks they climbed like a goat, but on the lose gravel, I might as well have popped it in neutral. The size REALLY helps it get above obstacles however.

This leads me to a question I've had for DJ:
Are we allowed to use different rigs on different events in our scale competition? Or do we have to commit the entire season to just one rig?