Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > New Mexico

Notices

Thread: Well boys, eat your hearts out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Well boys, eat your hearts out

So, about a year ago I ordered a clod buster, just to have something to mess around with. Took about six months but I finally opened the box and built the sucker. Well, ended up going a different route on the body so I had this extra Chevy body laying around.

Then, I ended up ordering another damn honcho kit at like 3am one day this summer (don't ask me why). Well, I wasn't sure what to do, so I sort of had the two meet in the middle.

(yes, I am NOT a professional photographer, duly noted).

side view before I put the winch on

I ordered the custom chevy emblems from rc4wd. I guess they are shipped from Europe. I followed the directions on the 1 inch piece of paper which basically says to shoot them with flat black, then 1200 grit the outset. Turned out perfect.

Another shot of the emblem. I liked the texture feeling of them. They really do resemble the real thing. The package/website says "enough for one truck" but I have exactly one more of everything left.... so I'm not sure if I didn't include all the emblems needed....

So, I really wanted a winch, but didn't want to spend too much time wrestling with how to mount it.... So I ordered the pro-line bumper, which is uglier than sin. I don't like the bumper, but for now, it will do.

So, the picture doesn't really do it justice, but the bed liner has a flat appearance. Turned out to look really neat.

The Good:
-The honcho is (I believe) a 12.3" wb... the chevy wants 11" at best. So I had to make some custom links.... turned out well.
-I ordered the old-school custom chevy grille from maddogz (since the new clod lost the GM license to sell the real grille). I shot it with "AlumiChrome" or whatever the hell its called. Turned out good, except, I have to say.... the grille was VERY brittle and one of the back tabs cracked while simply screwing it.
-Ordered the "scoop filler" from maddogz (see the bad part for actually mounting it)

The Bad:
-The KC lights are stickers. It didn't come with any lenses so I can mount real lights like I did on the 350. Stickers look lame, they are stock clods
-My body work was miserable on the scoop filler. I worked on it everyday for a week and didn't get any better. Almost gave it to my neighbor who is a body man, but I just said what-the-heck.
-Pro-line bumper is uglier than that fat chick in high-school.

The Ugly:
-Haven't figured out anything for electronics yet
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

looks good
DKSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks great!!
I can say... I think I hate body work more then anything else now.... So I feel your pain.

The front bumper doesn't look all that shabby with that body...

Btw: wait till ya see my new scaler project.. (not that I am done with my jeeps yet... But yet here I am starting a 3rd scaler project!!)

Last edited by msd44; 09-19-2011 at 06:05 AM.
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

what brand/ color paint is that. i really like it.

x2 on the bodywork. painting is fine but i cant line stuff up worth a damn and its one of my peeves about this hobby
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSnipes View Post
looks good

Thanks man! Appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd44 View Post
Looks great!!
I can say... I think I hate body work more then anything else now.... So I feel your pain.

The front bumper doesn't look all that shabby with that body...

Btw: wait till ya see my new scaler project.. (not that I am done with my jeeps yet... But yet here I am starting a 3rd scaler project!!)
Cool deal man. You should post a thread about your build. I was going to but had no time. I figured I'd just show pictures of it once I finished.

Body work does suck. but I have one question to ask: Why do more and more companies not come out with licensed scale bodies like Tamiya's clod or F-350? Seems to me like they would do well if a company were to come out with these (and I'm not talking about Pro-lines lexan Jeeps either).

About my bumper... I like the chrome better actually. And since I placed this one in the front, I sort of feel obligated to mount the black rear bumper as well. This rig probably wont see any runtime. I want to place it on my desk at work. (some guy at work already offered to buy it lol)
Old 09-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
what brand/ color paint is that. i really like it.

x2 on the bodywork. painting is fine but i cant line stuff up worth a damn and its one of my peeves about this hobby
I specifically set out to make it light gun metal and was VERY pleased when I found a tamiya product that was exactly that. The dark gun metal looks equally good, but I didn't want it to "eat" up the body details of this Chevy.

Here is the link: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=85042

I also got a can of tamiya clear coat... but I have read HORROR stories of what it can possible do to your actual paint job if applied incorrectly.

I put way too much time and effort in the body so i just ditched the clear coat. I will stick with it for now.

I sort of wish I had done something different with the grill, but I can always address that later. I am impressed with the emblems and recommend them to whoever likes them.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Here is a small teaser of what I got going on.....

Actually, I have a build thread started in the 1.9 section. I have big plans for this one. Gonna start work on a drop bed for her very soon. Gonna be on my way over to Harbor Freight for a cheap starter welder this weekend, Got most of all my electronics, just need a servo, and I still need to figure out a paint scheme....
Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Gonna be on my way over to Harbor Freight for a cheap starter welder this weekend, .
why dont you just talk to rick?
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I still need to figure out a paint scheme....
i think the pink works
roglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roglum View Post
i think the pink works
Haha... Ya... Not for long.