Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How to creep even slower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #1

Default How to creep even slower?

I am new to the hobby side of RC trucks (fixing and modifying them, instead of just throwing them away when they break). I have a VMG (Venom Mini-Giant/Leo-x) that I have been having a lot of fun with. It crawls great (inside and on my little rock garden I made outside on my covered porch while the snow is on the ground). I just finished stretching it one inch. It crawls even better now. This site has helped me a lot.

I have installed the GWS gear reduction unit - 6.6:1 and I use a 10 tooth pinion.
Electronics are stock.

My question is - how can I make it even slower?
Not slower at the top (its max is about 3 miles an hour) but slower from a dead stop. With the slightest touch of the throttle it jumps forward a good inch. I am wondering if it's possible to be able to just start out barely moving, like only a quarter inch at a time, if I wanted.

I geared way down, as noted above. Then I volted way down and that helped a lot. I'm only running 4 cells (2/3A's - 4.8 volts) which isn't bad, I still have plenty of torque and long run time (at least a half hour) but I would like to run at least 5 or 6 cells.

Would better electronics help? If so, any recommendations (under a $100 total)?

What about the motor? I can't find a higher turn motor this size (370). I'm using the "Team Associated Super 370 Motor". Would re-winding the motor myself to get a higher turn be worth it? I've seen a really good write-up or two explaining how to do that on this site and I'd be willing to try that but only if that is my best bet.

I am pretty new to all of this - so feel free to talk in really basic terms.

Let me know if my goal isn't clear, I just want to be able to really slowly creep along with as much precision and control over the throttle as possible. Thanks for any help.

G1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I'd bet the stock electronics are to blame. A quality ESC like the Novak Rooster Crawler or the Mamba Max will have much smoother throttle, especially right off the line.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Your problem is why we all spend so much money on escs, the cheap escs just don't have good off throttle control. When you look at it, the mamba max is overkill, even for a 1/10 crawler, but the off throttle control is soooo good with a brushed motor.
I'm told the moped is a good esc, though I've not used one, and that gets down into your price range http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58265 I'd just try the esc and see how it is before you mess around with the motor too much. Really strong magnets can make a motor jumpy off throttle, but I really doubt thats your problem.

Edit: I just realized the VMG has an integrated esc/reciver unit, so you'll need a new radio system too, at least to go the route I suggested. Space may become a problem if you try to run a 1/10 esc and a separate receiver. I dunno, anyone with more experience with 1/18 scale stuff feel free to correct me. If there is room, you can scare up a cheap am radio for about 45 bucks new, probably less used.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 01-20-2008 at 08:00 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have a VMG and got a Trinity Monster 370 motor,6.6:1 reduction with associated metal 10 tooth on my truck.I found a dirt cheap esc/receiver for a 1/10th scale car and it has a brake and a smoother start in either direction.I believe it is made by HBX (Haiboxing).I'll try to find info for you.Look on www.one18th.com for some info,or www.scale4x4.org and you might find an answer,they love the mini giants

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-car-radio-tra...QQcmdZViewItem

this is the esc,i put smaller wires on it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESC-Speed-Contro...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by red jim; 01-20-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added info
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote