Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial Shock Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Axial Shock Opinions

anyone have an opinion on the ckrc 120 mm shock set? e savage shocks? traxxas big bores ( i have em but their too short so if anyone has em and did somtin to make em work please tell me. IM DESPRETE:-(:-P
person123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I am running Losi XXXL. They are also short. I have about 2" ground clearance. Yes I somtimes get hung up on silly stuff, but it climbs like a spider.
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
ghetto fabulous newbie

calm down, Dont worry it will be OK.

Just told you how to make them work

traxxas big bore mounting options?

Last edited by yotachump; 01-27-2008 at 12:22 AM.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

that doesnt help because i cant build custom stuff. i want either a way to make the big bores give me stock ground clearanc(im not so sure that putting the scorpion shafts into the big bores is a good idea for the seal at the top) or someone tell me what they use that doesnt require custom stuff and gives me enough ground clearance. opinions on the ckrc shocks? e savage shocks?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by person123 View Post
that doesnt help because i cant build custom stuff. i want either a way to make the big bores give me stock ground clearanc(im not so sure that putting the scorpion shafts into the big bores is a good idea for the seal at the top) or someone tell me what they use that doesnt require custom stuff and gives me enough ground clearance. opinions on the ckrc shocks? e savage shocks?
just relax! if you dont want the axial shafts to hit the top than put a bump stop on the shock shaft in between the rod end and shock

Last edited by yotachump; 01-27-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

could anyone tell me their opinion on a new set of shocks that isnt too expensive but is high quality and wont leak like a beast and will give me close to stock ground clearance???
Old 01-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
MODERHATER™

Use Traxxas big bores or something equivalent.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Use Traxxas big bores or something equivalent.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

they dont give me stock ground clearance!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
MODERHATER™

Why do you need stock ground clearance? All it does is make it top heavy, and creates crazy rear axle steer.

If thats much of an issue you should measure the length of the stockers and find something that you think is better.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

i dont know what is better that is why im asking! i want shocks that i can lower and be able to make adjustments to; not something that i will never be able to get enough ground clearance with. (in simpler words i would wrather be able to make adjustment than not)
Old 01-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i dont really want full stock ground clearance but i want to have the opition. what i really want is in between stock and level links. also would the 30 degree lower links help any with ground clearance if i just slapped the big bores on?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
MODERHATER™

So where are the shocks leaking?

Maybe a little teflon tape around the threads?

Did you assemble them wrong?

Those neat little spacers that came with the kit, they are for adjustment!

When I built my Axial I put fuel tubing inside the shocks, under the piston, to make it sit lower. It performed alot better too. Mine did not leak like a "beast"

Alot of people use the big bores and think that it helps alot, I don't understand why it does not work for you?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

when i put the big bores on, i cant get over many obstacles that i could with the stockers. the stockers are leaking from the bottom seal area ( shafts are super wiggly) and i even bought some mip shock seals and replaced the stock ones with them. the top leaks wether i put the large o ring in the stock area, at the top of the inside of the cap, or completely remove it. what i dont like about putting it in the stock position is that it limits the amount of thread contact between the cap and the shock (caps get pulled off) and it also "Pooches" out when you try to tighten it down. thank you for your help/time
Old 01-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Use the stock shocks, put in new seals in the bottom and use some associated green slime when you build them. When you install the shock shaft you are damaging the seals and then they leak. The green slime protects the seals and continues to lube them making them last longer. The axial chassis is and exact copy of a Reign Products chassis and was designed to be a belly dragger... The optimium ground clearance should be around 2.25" - 2.5" unless your just bashing this thing and arn't interested in compitition. The "super wiggly" shafts your talking about wont make them leak, the pistons are a little to small for the shock bore and the seals are the pivot point. I would try the teflon tape ide on the top of the shocks if you cant make them stop leaking (I haven't had that problem)

Remember that its a toy and the most useful parts are the tranny and axles, Everything else is somewhat cheaply built so they can sell them cheap. You can upgrade almost every part of these and they want a fortune for most of the upgrade parts.
ZUKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

thank you a TON zukman!!!!!!! finaly someone understands why im having trouble. do you think i could keep using the seals i have in there? (i have stock upper o rings and mip blue universal seals in the bottom) also is there a piston that fits better? if i leave the big bore shocks on it has level lower links; is this what the chassis is designed for or is it supposed to be just above level? what other shocks would you reccomend if i cant get mine to work?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

i heard that tamiya pistons work well but im not sure if they are larger around. after using green slime, does the fact that the piston is not well fitting and the shaft wiggles affect the shock? if you use the teflon tape, do you still need the o ring seal at the top?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Dirk? Is that you?!?
KSCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
they dont give me stock ground clearance!
you could always drill a hole and mount the shocks lower to get ride height back up. i wanted mine a little higher with my 101mm shocks so i just drilled a hole my skid sits at 2 5/8 inch.If you want to go higher( I Dont know who would), just drill the hole lower.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
thank you a TON zukman!!!!!!! finaly someone understands why im having trouble. do you think i could keep using the seals i have in there? (i have stock upper o rings and mip blue universal seals in the bottom) also is there a piston that fits better? if i leave the big bore shocks on it has level lower links; is this what the chassis is designed for or is it supposed to be just above level? what other shocks would you reccomend if i cant get mine to work?
Ok I pulled out my box of shocks and started trying different shafts and pistons. The pistons out of a associated T4 are a perfect match. They are just a hair bigger than the Axial and they had no "wiggle" in them at all. You could feel a very very slight drag in one spot of the shock wall but on a crawler it would never matter. So give that a try if you want, I think you would be good to go that way. Also I would limit the stroke under the piston by 3/8"

Good luck
ZUKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote