Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: which one????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #1

Default which one????

i know this is suck a noob question but i am new to the r/c crawling thing i have been crawling with my fullsize jeep for about 5 years now but i dont know everything.

So back to the question which would be a better brushed motor for my new crawler it is an AX-10

35T 45T 55T 65T or a 75T this is the first of many questions that i will have for all of you guys or gals.

thanks for all of your help
bamftruck
bamftruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamftruck View Post
i know this is suck a noob question but i am new to the r/c crawling thing i have been crawling with my fullsize jeep for about 5 years now but i dont know everything.

So back to the question which would be a better brushed motor for my new crawler it is an AX-10

35T 45T 55T 65T or a 75T this is the first of many questions that i will have for all of you guys or gals.

thanks for all of your help
bamftruck

first you need to check this out http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

i went to the newbie section and the first thread is tips, cheap tricks / parts guide.

RCCRAWLER tips, cheap tricks / parts guide.

this is everything you need to know. see now you wont have to ask all the rest of your meaningless newbie questions. isnt that better

Last edited by 12flex; 02-14-2008 at 03:36 AM.
12flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I use a 55t in my truck, plenty of torque and a fair wheelspeed.

Hope this helps

P.s that vid is so patronising

Last edited by littleskull99; 02-14-2008 at 03:26 AM.
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #4

ha ha ha that was kinda funny and thanks for making me feel like a ass i really needed that on my first post

thanks again

J/K i told you i was a noob to this site
bamftruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12flex View Post
first you need to check this out http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

i went to the newbie section and the first thread is tips, cheap tricks / parts guide.

RCCRAWLER tips, cheap tricks / parts guide.

this is everything you need to know. see now you wont have to ask all the rest of your meaningless newbie questions. isnt that better

Why do you a$$holes feel it so necessary to keep running down the new guys?? You were a meaningless newbie at one time. Now you're a meaningless experienced crawling prick!
I really enjoy this whole RC Crawling deal. But the elitist attitude I see seeping from many of it's other enthusiasts is a definite turn off!! I run my RC stuff by myself because that way I know I'm always in good company when I do it. Not putting up with some jerk0ff who thinks because he knows a little bit about the toys that he's playing with makes him something special.
And please, believe me when I tell you, these things are only toys!! This isn't anything terribly important. Yeah, it's fun for sure, but were still mostly a bunch of grown men playing with toys. I respect the fact that you are knowledgable about your hobby. But until you can talk on a level of intelligence about something besides toys, keep the smarta$$ comments to yourself and show a little respect!
Rather-B-Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
RCC Addict

The dumdest question is the one that is never asked. Keep that in mind.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

i run a 65t in mine but its just a tad to slow when your driving to the next line i would try to go like 35t still enough tourqe but little more wheel speed
dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

While I agree with you, I think he may have been joking around. AND yes, it wasn't the smartest thing to do on a guy's first post. He's probably not an old guy like us and needs a bit of a beating sometimes

Toys toys wonderful toys........ Some people take a bit of knowledge too seriously.

Now, back to topic.
I run a brushless on my tuber, 55T lathe on my TLT 2.2. I have a 65T to stick on an AX10. The problem on the AX is it can't be geared down as much as the pede tranny, so I can't really compare them straight across. As cheap as the lathe motors are, get a 55T (I haven't seen anyone much using anything below a 55) and try it out. Grab a 65 and see if you like it better. I don't think a 45 will work unless you gear it way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather-B-Huntin View Post
Why do you a$$holes feel it so necessary to keep running down the new guys?? You were a meaningless newbie at one time. Now you're a meaningless experienced crawling prick!
I really enjoy this whole RC Crawling deal. But the elitist attitude I see seeping from many of it's other enthusiasts is a definite turn off!! I run my RC stuff by myself because that way I know I'm always in good company when I do it. Not putting up with some jerk0ff who thinks because he knows a little bit about the toys that he's playing with makes him something special.
And please, believe me when I tell you, these things are only toys!! This isn't anything terribly important. Yeah, it's fun for sure, but were still mostly a bunch of grown men playing with toys. I respect the fact that you are knowledgable about your hobby. But until you can talk on a level of intelligence about something besides toys, keep the smarta$$ comments to yourself and show a little respect!
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Here's another option: For the price of 2 good Lathe motors, you're getting close to the price of a Holmes Cobalt Puller. The puller has awesome low speed, and will crank up the volume to give you some great high speed, too.
Hodaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

35 or 45 turn. 50+ is too slow and has less torque. They tend to be a little smoother, but the 35/45 turn motors are smooth enough to make slow crawling still real easy.

55T on 3s lipo is about the same speed as a 35t running 2s. If you run 3s lipo with a 35t you get awesome wheel speed so you can get over more obstacles. Side by side my AX10 w/ a 35T will out crawl the same truck with a 55T.

Sometimes you just need to be able to blip the throttle and pop over stuff. It also makes down facing things much easier too since you can throttle out and keep the truck from front flipping. Vertical climbs can't always be won with traction, sometimes you just need horsepower and wheel speed to get up stuff.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
The problem on the AX is it can't be geared down as much as the pede tranny, so I can't really compare them straight across.
Who says the AX trany can't be geared down as much as the pede trany? With some modding of the output shaft on the spur gear side you can fit a 96t spur gear on the AX trany.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Default well....

Axiom 55t V11

http://www.axiommotors.com/professio...tor-p-411.html

good luck with your build
phatchantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12flex View Post

New here too, I bought the Rooster crawler combo,comes with a 55t,altho i have yet to compare it to anything else,its seems to to ok.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

35t with a 10t running it with the r2d. real good wheel speed, crawls just as good. 50t v10, was too slow..........
bill c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas View Post
35 or 45 turn. 50+ is too slow and has less torque. They tend to be a little smoother, but the 35/45 turn motors are smooth enough to make slow crawling still real easy.

I think you're crossed up a bit, the lower the turn, the more wheel speed, less torque. Therefore, a "50+ is slower but doesn't have less torque then a 35t or 45t.

55T on 3s lipo is about the same speed as a 35t running 2s. If you run 3s lipo with a 35t you get awesome wheel speed so you can get over more obstacles. Side by side my AX10 w/ a 35T will out crawl the same truck with a 55T.

Thats a pretty big claim. I'd venture to say it would have a lot more to do with the driver, then the truck.

Sometimes you just need to be able to blip the throttle and pop over stuff. It also makes down facing things much easier too since you can throttle out and keep the truck from front flipping. Vertical climbs can't always be won with traction, sometimes you just need horsepower and wheel speed to get up stuff.
While wheel speed is important, traction is key, and a 55t is a decent trade off between wheel speed, and torque. There's more to crawling then " getting up stuff" You need to make it through a set of gates too.
Personally, I like a 55t in my crawlers, and a 35t for my scalers.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 02-14-2008 at 08:35 PM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

First, all of my "claims" are backed up by months of research, real world testing, and most importantly reliable dyno results as a professional motor builder.

The less turns (i.e, 27T vs 55T) the HIGHER the torque output. A 27 turn stock motor produces more torque than a 55 turn crawler motor. A 7x1 modified touring car motor produces WAY more torque than ANY 55t crawler motor. They also generate more overall power due to RPM gained. But they are unsuitable as they generate a lot of RPM at a lower voltage...

What your getting with higher turn is a slower, smoother, and typically easier to crawl motor. Yes, there is more to life than "getting up stuff" but that is where throttle control comes in. When your running a real 35 turn your only using a small amount of the motor...but when you need to blip up and over stuff you actually have the ability to.

My claim of a 2s 35x1 being the same as a 3s 55x1 is from taking the same truck, same setup and running the tests for 50 feet and timing the truck. The truck was virtually the same exact speed with a 3s lipo and a 55x1 as it was with a 2s lipo and a 35x1.

An awesome truck with a 55x1 won't be able to clear as much stuff as the same truck running a 35x1 or 40x1. While traction is important, there are some things that require traction and wheel speed...if that wasn't the case then the Holmes Hobbies pullers would not be so popular, they have speed and torque just at a higher price.

Not to mention not everyone is going from gate to gate. Many people are just running these trucks for fun....more wheel speed = more fun. You can't crawl with a 19T motor, not enough low end drivabilty but going to the 30-40T neighborhood gives you low end smoothness while still having speed and torque to work through stuff.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I as well am a newbie to rc crawling. I am using a 55t motor in my stock AX Tranny. It was recommended to me by the shop that I got my AX at. They are a bunch of rc crawler addicts. BTY, Welcome to the forum!!
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather-B-Huntin View Post
Why do you a$$holes feel it so necessary to keep running down the new guys?? I respect the fact that you are knowledgable about your hobby. But until you can talk on a level of intelligence about something besides toys, keep the smarta$$ comments to yourself and show a little respect!

are you serious. i was only giving the guy a little flaming (joking) so stfu. its those kinda questions he asked that have been answered literally thousands of times and just clutter up forums. i went to google and found the answer not that i didnt know it, but just to prove a point, that its that easy. this stuff aint rocket science, i mean come on they come with instructions. so with that said go put a chrome bumper or something on your ford Mr. hardcore

you wanna talk real 4x4. i dont think you can keep up. hahahaha! but if you really do wheel, and maybe you only have a jeep with 33's thats cool as long as you aint no tire shine, mall crawln f a g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOINGSLOW View Post
The dumdest question is the one that is never asked. Keep that in mind.
like i said above i went to google and found the answer not that i didnt know it, but just to prove a point, that its that easy.

12flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

so, if money is no object, what is the best BRAND motor out there? integy and novak don't seem to have much separating them and I see the holmes and axioms used by alot of people around here. I understand that it is still somewhat a matter of opinion but opinion or not, what wins comps? I doubt they are running 15 dollar integy lathe motors...
TRA3905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA3905 View Post
so, if money is no object, what is the best BRAND motor out there? integy and novak don't seem to have much separating them and I see the holmes and axioms used by alot of people around here. I understand that it is still somewhat a matter of opinion but opinion or not, what wins comps? I doubt they are running 15 dollar integy lathe motors...
Amen, brotha
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote