Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: suspension question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default suspension question

check out the suspension action around 0:40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PwZ6qmk9Ys

my axle gets hung up on a rock and when the rear wheels give power the front of the truck/chassis/body rises extending the shocks. I've not seen other rigs do this.
Can anyone shed some light as to a) does this mean there is something wrong with the shock/suspension setup and b) is this bad in other ways. Doesnt seem like it should be doing that.

as a reference, this is my chassis:

but I swapped the shocks with turned TLT running 1.5 springs (to make up the full length) each. I also added a bracket front and rear to move the top mount up and more toward the center (from side), with the front coming back quite a bit (laid down sort of), about 1" maybe back and the rear setting forward about 1/2". I suppose I should post a more current pic, huh?

Then at 0:56 the passenger side drops down into a hole but the drivers side front doesnt articulate much. Seems stiff even with the new shock setup.

Any feedback?
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I think the tires are contacting that rigid body and torqing the back end of the body down, making the front rise. It's hard to tell in that video but that's all I can think of.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I am getting tire rub. I'll check if it happens in conjunction with the raising of the front tomorrow, thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

I'm guessing you run a shock that sits mid travel at rest, and because of the rear tires having traction it pushed the front end up. Your rear tires are trying to push the chassis forward, your front axle is stuck, chassis goes up. Run a shock that's at full extension at rest and that wouldn't happen.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I understand what you're saying but I dont see the rigs that run droop style suspensions doing that. Mine is pretty much droop as the shocks are nearly fully compressed (maybe 80-20) at rest.

Does this help

I could run the shocks more fully extended but would need some sort of long tube to use as compression ring for the springs. When I ran the springs prior to turning them down I didnt have as good articulation but didnt have this problem. however, the overall suspension action was worse.

It frustrates me as I've never seen a rig do this...having trouble setting up the suspension overall...

I appreciate your help...keep the suggestions coming.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

If it's not causing problems, I wouldn't worry about it.. it's just something else unique about your ride ;)

Nice looking setup btw!
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
MODERATOR™

Seeing your rear link set up shows that there's a lot of squat happening in the back. The opposite of anti squat. The tires are trying to pull themselves off the ground, hence the rear of the chassis squating.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'd also add some squat to the front end.

When the front links are at a hard downward angle from the chassis to the axle, hanging a front diff will make the whole front axle want to 'roll' under the chassis. Added to the high squat numbers in your rear link setup, I think these two things may be your problem
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote