Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Intro to crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Lightbulb Intro to crawling?

So the wife is gonna let me buy a crawler. After some wheeling and dealing with her shes gonna let me spend the money on a crawler. ive decided to go kit after reading a bit on here, but am torn on esc motor area.

My LHS carries the Novak rooster and 55t for about 120, has the Goat for a redonkulous price and I think can order me whatever I want.

id like to go brushless with the system but cannot find a system deal in the castle creations area, as I've seen people talk here about the sidewinder.

i did find a few packages I think are what you all have referenced.

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Castle-Cr...8-p-16791.html

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=CCMM7702

I'm trying like crazy to support my LHS and will buy some of this from him but I'm on a super tight budget and want to get a decent rig up and running the first time, as I do not know when or if I'll ever have much real money to upgrade in the future. I wont be a competition crawler but just want to have a nice crawler to take up camping with me as this was the deal I made with the wife. =)

Also suggestions on MUST get parts after kit and speedo/esc combo. Ill have about 75 bucks extra that I can spend and need ideas! Shocks come to mind but so do knuckles etc etc. thanks for any help that is provided.

dan
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
RCC Addict

get yourself a brushed set up, i have one and love it novac rooster crawler and intagy 55t 8.4 volt saddle pack on the front axle

i suggest al knuckles as you will be breaking these, extra pede shafts, losi claws if your on the rocks alot if not get something for your terain, move your batt to the front axle, and shorter / w/ softer sping shocks
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would go with a castle creations sidewinder and a brushed lathe motor. The sidewinder is cheaper than the crawler edition rooster and I personally own two of them and think there a better product then the rooster crawler.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #4

I have the Rooster crawler esc and the Novak 55t and I'm very happy! Also ordered 12t & 20t pinion gears so I can change up whenever I feel like it. Get new shocks and bent lower links, huge difference!
Drnkirishm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i have had the rooster crawler/55T setup and loved it. very very smooth and controlled. i would buy it, along with the robinson racing 6 pack of pinions so you can swap them out for whatever driving you want to do.

the 6 cell saddle pack from holmes hobbies coupled with CKRC battery trays looks very nice on the front end.

grab some nice tires

you could avoid buying knuckles and C's if you run a servo saver.

it all really boils down to budget.

a nice motor/esc/battery is top on my list.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the replies guys, i'm looking for more!!! Hopefully Ill be able to buy this sucker tomorrow if all goes well.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'll put in a vote for the sidewinder. Its cheaper than the rooster and significantly more flexible. I really love mine.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Being as I am also cost conscieous and negotiating with the wife, I am trying to find the "best, least cost" items for my eventual AX10 purchase, Here is the Combo I will most likely go with.

Sidewinder / crawlmaster combo from HH

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...0&cat=4&page=1
HaSharetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I don't have one so I don't know if it is neccisarry but, If they get the sidewinder, do they NEED the pc link? I just though I would ask this more for them than myself incase it wasn't considered by them.

-Tim
Tim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaSharetz View Post
Being as I am also cost conscieous and negotiating with the wife, I am trying to find the "best, least cost" items for my eventual AX10 purchase, Here is the Combo I will most likely go with.

Sidewinder / crawlmaster combo from HH

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...0&cat=4&page=1
this is the perfect solution! That's exactly what I was looking for a direct link to a esc motor combo. exp guys chime in good/bad combo for a non competition crawler that will see most its time up camping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
I don't have one so I don't know if it is neccisarry but, If they get the sidewinder, do they NEED the pc link? I just though I would ask this more for them than myself incase it wasn't considered by them.

-Tim
this would be grat info to ahve as well. I've never owned a CC esc before but have been into R/C for a while now and can run a PC so good or bad purchase?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

your welcome...
HaSharetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #12

I have the sidewinder and a 55t and love it. You dont have to have the castle link but it really makes it easy with a brushed motor. I would buy the link if you can its really worth the money.
mitchy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I'm wheeling the Novak Goat and she's silky smooth on the bottom and a little crazy at the top all on 7.4 volts
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

so a sidewinder and Novak 55t would work together wouldnt it? that would save me some cash to start and over time if I had the money I could drop a brushless motor in with the SW.

Oh and I see i've moved to the newbie section which is fine.

Last edited by DanTaylor; 03-31-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: cause its my topic and I can
Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I love my mamba max, 5t cobalt, 2S lipo combo. Too sharp of a break over? Just jump it.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #16

I'll put it another vote for the mamba max. You can use pretty much any brushed or brushless motor with it, USB port for programming is really nice 10x easier than it was setting up my Quark 33a... and it's pretty much waterproof. I completely sank my crawler the other day in a foot of water and apart from having to wait for the RX to dry out everything was fine.

I was also unsure as to whether or not a brushless motor would be worth it when I was putting together my first crawler and I've been pretty happy with my Integy 45t in terms of speed and performance. I figured 20 USD wasn't a big loss if I ever upgraded, forking out for a Novak setup and being unhappy with it would be an expensive mistake though. Having said that, it's only a matter of time before I upgrade to something more powerful!

Personally I've always had good luck buying brushless gear and ESCs from bishop power products. Their free international shipping is a bonus for me too.

Just a word of warning as you're starting out, I only finished my first crawler 2 weeks ago and I'm already working on my second, careful this things' addictive!
gothikon is offline   Reply With Quote