Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to Crawling, looking for a truck.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #1

Default New to Crawling, looking for a truck.

I imagine that this is a asked question before but I have spent abit of time searching and can't seem to find a comparison between Wheely Kings and Axiel trucks. I would like to buy 1 this weekend and get started but would love some inside info on which truck may be better. I see that Hpi has come out with a conversion kit for the WK and I already have 2 savages so sticking with Hpi would be good but it really dosen't matter which truck I buy. Any info would be great for a this newb. Awsome site!
Lowrider_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I vote for the ax10
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHardwear View Post
I vote for the ax10

x2 on that one.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I think it comes down to how much wrenching you want to do. The Wheely King needs a bit of work out of the box, say the conversion kit. The Axial is essentially ready to go minus electronics. The RTR WK electronics needs upgraded out of the box as well. The ESC is a less than decent and the steering servo and motor just aren't up to crawling standards.

I've built TLT's, WK's and Scorpions and for me they always end up in the same price range once I'm happy with 'em.

The WK axles are 1 inch wider than the Axials. Wide vs narrow axles are personal preferance based off of driving style, suspension/chassis setup and terrain you crawl. You can adjust both axles for width later on with either wideners or narrower offset wheels respectively. I'd call this one even although if your going for a more scale look the Axial would be easier to do in my opinion.

Both companies axles are tough out of the box and can be made bullet proof with aftermarket support. There is good aftermarket support for both companies. So I say this one is a tie as well.

The big difference for me is the transmission. The Axial is smaller, the motor is mounted lower and it has a lower gear ration. So point to Axial.

Either will work but I think the WK builds usually just end up being axles and maybe shocks, everything else gets thrown out. You generally can't even reuse the kit hardware, it's all course thread intended for plastic.

So if your into brand loyalty, the WK will work out fine but I prefer the Axial.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #5

If i had to do it all over again i would definetily go with the Ax10. I got a PTI awhile ago, although i havent stripped a ring and pinion, it seems like everyone else has!
packerfan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan3001 View Post
If i had to do it all over again i would definetily go with the Ax10. I got a PTI awhile ago, although i havent stripped a ring and pinion, it seems like everyone else has!
x2 on that one I'm wont drive my pti til i find metal R&p gears for it, even after i get those it will still just be a basher. once i put a 4.7:1 gear reduction on it the gears wont last more than a pack even if they are shimmed.
Pooflinger1006 is offline   Reply With Quote