Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: TLT Rear Axle Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TLT Rear Axle Question

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I'm in the process of tearing down my rig and installing a dig unit !! My question is, I have the rc4wd TLT straight axle adapters and RCP R&P's, but i'm still running the stock inner shafts with drive cups in the rear. My R&P's have a problem and will not accept CVD's, they won't fit flush and RCP is out of stock. Will I be ok with my current set-up as far as strength, with dig? I was looking at the rc4wd straight inner axle shafts, but are they any better than my current set-up? I know it's a newb question, but looking for some insight. Thank you!
procraft98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

Installing dig won't really put much more strain on your rear axles, it will put more strain on the front when yer diggin.

If your setup is working now you should be fine. I have the RC4WD straight axles in my comp GC-1 and they have been working great. They are a strength improvement over the stock dogbones for sure.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thank you for the response Grizzly. I have CVDS and RCP R&P's, MSD Axle C's, and JP custom knuckles up front. It's pretty tough... i've taken some good spills and still crawling
procraft98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Sounds like you will be fine if the rear end has been holding up for you. I can never seem to catch the RCP diffs when they are in stock.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think you should be fine. I've got a similar setup but no cvds. I always break the drive cups in the knuckles, but only on the front axle. I've never broken the drive cups in the rear. I've taught about upgrading to the cvd's in the front, but I'm choosing not to. I've gotten my truck to a point that I know what part is going to break, should I get bound up. For my truck that's the front drive cups. And even when they break, though a rare occasion, I can continue to drive because I use an o ring in the cup and that keeps the cracked half from falling out of the knuckle. Then between courses, it's an easy enough thing to change out (and cheap).

But if I had the funds I would put cvds in the front and strait axles in the rear to get rid of the dog bone to cup part inside of the straight axle adapter. But I'm afraid of where my next week point would be.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote