Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 4 wheel steer??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #1

Default 4 wheel steer??

Whos got it? How do you like it? PArts used on what axles?? Would you do it again?? fab work done??? How is it controlled (auto or manually and hows it wired) im debating on putting ti on my next crawler since i wont be competing with it
bigredneck61088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If you're not competing in 2.2 then try it. Most people use a three channel radio to utilize 4 wheel steer.

If you don't have one you can also get a servo reverser. Futaba's SR-10 is a good one cause it allows you to set the trim of the rear servo independently of the front one. But when you use this setup it's difficult to control, and very easy to over steer. And you can't make the front go left while the rear go right sorta thing.

For the best 4wheel steer control you'll need a 3 channel radio. And it would be nice if the 3rd channel is a three position one.

For more info search around in the clod section, many of them run in the super class and use 4 wheel steer.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #3

I just got a PTI Goliath (not the crawler) running with 4 wheel steering. I used a Futaba 3pm, and followed the instructions in the stickied thread at the top of the electronics forum. Mounting the rear servo was only a matter of duplicating the setup from the front. Just playing around in the flower beds and on the porch steps it is very nice to have the tighter turning radius. The crab walk function is fun to play with, but since, I'm keeping the truck as a monster truck so I comment much about it changes the crawling abilities.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #4

I have it on my ax, I like it alot, from the sharper turning to the ability to put the tires where I want. It does bug me that it is not comp legal in real rock crawling its leagal, so why not in the rc? I have a futaba 3pk so I can run the rear compleatly seperate from the front.
Crawlchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

In my opinion, the best way is to use a 3-channel radio. I like the Traxxas TQ3 radio with a 3-position switch instead of the stock 2-position switch. You can also use a Y-harness with a 2-channel radio, but a 3-channel radio setup will give you more options and better performance.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #6

i have an ax10 with rws with a futuba 3pm. set it up with the instructions on this forum. it works great, just make sure you get a strong servo, not just an old one thats laying around. I found out the hard way and stripped the gears twice on the rear servo. Th rear one takes a lot more abuse than the front on i think
xtremecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

i have 4ws in my ax10 with a spectrum dx6i works great and i have crab and normal 4ws mixed and independant steer
and i can setup for digs too when i get them
bluelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #8

Default Re: 4 wheel steer??

What ESC are you using ??? My friend is trying to use the Novak M2 Dig w/Futuba 3pm in a Clod & can't Crabwalk, etc. Was told by RC Crawler Colorado that the M2 has glitches, plus he needs a 4ch TX to use w/it. Any ideas w/o using allot of $$$$'s. He wants to be able to control each Str/Servo, w/o buying 2 ECS's. Thanks, the Huey Hauler
Huey Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote