Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: what to buy next for my AX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #1

Default what to buy next for my AX-10

I have a AX-10 RTR and have done some suspention improvments now I want to improve the electrics but do not know what to buy next. The trucks throtle is very touchy should I buy a new radio or a ESC and motor upgrade. I want to go to a castle mombo max ESC and a Novak SS21.5 Pro crawler brushless motor and an Airtronics MX-3 FHSS radio can't do both

dematt
dematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I'd advise a motor and ESC upgrade first.
For the ESC, I'd advise either a castle creations sidewinder or a Tekin FX-R. The Mamba max is an excellent ESC, but it's really overkill for a crawler. The main thing that makes the MM better than the sidewinder is it's greater power handling capacity, which you'll probably not need in a 2.2 class crawler. Save your money. Also, I'd advise investing in a castle creations BEC if you upgrade your servo, the difference is huge.
I'm sure you could run the novak crawler brushless motor off of a sidewinder, but I wouldn't. The novak brushless motors are fitted with position sensors to overcome weird start up problems common to brushless motors, and that feature only works with novak ESC's, so if you really want that motor, get a novak goat ESC. That said, I'd advise a brushed motor. They're much nicer IMO, and cheaper besides. Look into a holmes handwound, or a JP Custom's 35t warrior, both are excellent motors. Also look into the holmes hobbies cobalt puller. The cobalts are absolutely the best crawler motor, period. Be warned however, they draw quite a lot more amperage than most, and so in that case I would advise against running one off a FX-R on 3 cell lipo. Search around about that stuff, there's plenty of good info on them around.

Radio-wise, the MX-3 is a good choice. Probably not the very best, but definitely good. I personally use a spektrum DX-6i, and I really like it, but stick radios aren't for everyone. As long as your touchy throttle isn't caused by glitching, the radio will make very little difference compared to the ESC and motor.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 05-06-2008 at 08:53 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

A better idea of your budget would help. If you're still running the stock motor, even a $20 Integy 55t would be a big upgrade in terms of runability. Not sure the Max will work with the Novak motor, as its sensored. I'd go with a sidewinder and cobalt puller from Holmes Hobbies. Brushed is better for smooth throttle control when crawling.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #4

I would like to keep it under 200.00
Old 05-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

For a budget and still great product run the Novak Rooster Crawler with the 55T. I am on a very tight budget and so far this motor ESC combo is working great for all ive thrown at it. Stormer has it for 104.95
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=NOV1842
RPP has it for 109.00
http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...&productId=623
CKRC has it for 108.00
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=765

Again great motor and ESC combo in my opinon.

I woujld also go with the MX-3 as its what I use and works great for me. With the 2 youll be just over 200 bucks.
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTaylor View Post
For a budget and still great product run the Novak Rooster Crawler with the 55T. I am on a very tight budget and so far this motor ESC combo is working great for all ive thrown at it. Stormer has it for 104.95
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=NOV1842
RPP has it for 109.00
http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...&productId=623
CKRC has it for 108.00
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=765

Again great motor and ESC combo in my opinon.

I woujld also go with the MX-3 as its what I use and works great for me. With the 2 youll be just over 200 bucks.
i say good call on the esc and motor choice here ( my set up ) also you could go with tq3 rx/tx for 30 bucks and still have room in your budget to get a saddle pack battery or new smaller batt
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #7

I just picked up an AX10 kit and goat brushless system, would you say this is an overkill for someone who has never tried crawling. As far as RC's, my experience is only in nitro. Also where can I find a video of a the goat system in action.
intrepidcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddybee View Post
I just picked up an AX10 kit and goat brushless system, would you say this is an overkill for someone who has never tried crawling. As far as RC's, my experience is only in nitro. Also where can I find a video of a the goat system in action.
Probably not over kill good system if you have the money. A quick search of you tube with the words Novak Goat turned up a few vids....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTfOr5Cgr1c
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I would also recommend the rooster crawler with 55t motor. If you buy them separately just make sure that you get the 1841 rooster crawler.

Oh... with that left over franklin, you could still get your hands on that radio.

I'm one of those guys that prefer the brushed motor over a brush less. Why? because, in my opinion, you get much more predictable breaking and more control when you get bound up(no loading on the throttle affect). But that's just my opinion. Oh... and another opinion of mine, a 55 turn is all the power you need... I prefer to have the motor stall over snapping an axle or installing a slipper clutch. But as I said, that's just my opinion.

Good luck with your upgrades.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I have the Novak Goat Brushless combo in my rig and it works pretty well. Good braking, and smooth control, although it does get a bit glitchy sometimes. The other great thing about brushless is the run times
trailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #11

took your advice and but novak rooster crawler ESC and 55turn motor and what a difference it makes like night and day for the price it was the best improvement you can do to the ax10 I can now crawl up rocks as slow as i want. thanks for the advice
Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dematt View Post
I have a AX-10 RTR and have done some suspention improvments now I want to improve the electrics but do not know what to buy next. The trucks throtle is very touchy should I buy a new radio or a ESC and motor upgrade. I want to go to a castle mombo max ESC and a Novak SS21.5 Pro crawler brushless motor and an Airtronics MX-3 FHSS radio can't do both

dematt

I was in the same situation and i did a new transmitter and receiver and it made it 150% better!!!
crawler_newb is offline   Reply With Quote