Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Comp Build suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #1

Default Comp Build suggestions

I'm new to the Crawler scene (always raced 1/8 scale buggy and truggy)
But I want to start Crawling and go to some comps.
I'm the kind of person that likes to get everything up front and not have to deal with mods over time (except when something better is needed)
I have been looking at the ckrc axial comp kit from ckrc http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=796
And the rc4wd Copperhead kit
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=728
What are some opinions on these setups?
Or If I wanted to build the ulitmate comp. crawler from the start what would you suggest I would like suggestions for everything?

Thanks for the input.
Eddie
biged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum and the addiction.

I would either be patient and get 30 tech posts plus wait thirty days or buy a green star so you can view the classified section here on RCC. I think you can get better quality used rigs for less money than those kits.

The axial kit you linked to, is pretty good but over priced in my opinion. I think for that money, you could build something better. Check the Vendor section here on RCC. The GC1 or GC2, SW3, Black Jack are just a few of excellent proven comp chassis designs. The search feature works well on this forum and there is an over load of information available.

As for the RC4WD, a local member has one. He likes it, but the lower skid is so wide it catches on a lot stuff. His is kinda heavy and not roll over friendly either. It looks cool and performs well, but most winning 2.2 rigs are TVP design and not tubers for what ever reason. I am not saying you can't win, but just look at what the pros are running and what is winning and that will give you a good idea of what works and where to spend your money.

Do your research and be patient. I had bought a used scale 2.2 crawler as my first crawler and it was excellent. Then I bought my first 2.2 comp rig used and it was a disaster. About the only quality part on it was a SW2 chassis and the rest was abused and needed replacing. Check the feedback section on RCC, there are a lot of good people selling good stuff, but there are jerks out there to.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #3

Thanks for the input
Old 05-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #4

So if I want to start of with the axial kit can someone list everything else I should purchase to have the ultimate rig.
Yes I know everyone will have some different opinions but I'm looking for the easy way to build a awesome crawler from the start.
If some of you more experienced people could build your ultimate 2.2 comp crawler what would you purchase.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biged View Post
So if I want to start of with the axial kit can someone list everything else I should purchase to have the ultimate rig.
Yes I know everyone will have some different opinions but I'm looking for the easy way to build a awesome crawler from the start.
If some of you more experienced people could build your ultimate 2.2 comp crawler what would you purchase.
I would say become good friends with the search button! I have been here for a few months and have spent more time reading and learning than I have with any other hobby. That and more than likely you will get no response as this is a very overly discussed topic.

By learning I have spent over $1200, and still need $600 more to complete my "Ultimate 2.2 Comper". I laugh cause learning comes at a high price here. But then again, I am buying everything I don't need but want to have.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I wouldn't want an Axial in the first place. I'd start with the OCM/Berg/New Age/Enroute axles, GC2 chassis, Max Amp 3S Lipo, CC Mamba Max, CC BEC, front and rear dig, Panther tires, Create A Crawler beadlocks, Warrior motors, etc.

Take your time and read up on different crawlers. A lot of people view this forum and can change their minds mid build and sell items at a reasonable price in the classified section. It's worth the 20 dollars to buy a star if you need to spend money right away on a crawler. There was a crawler with a GC2 chassis, axial axles, axial tranny, VF dig and a bunch of spare parts for $450 just the other day. There was another one with a Black Jack chassis, axial axles and was RTR for about the same price. Both of those would blow away both the crawlers you linked to in your first post, assuming you could drive it well and you would have paid less than half the price of the CKRC kit.

Either that, or buy yourself an AX-10 kit, build it, learn to drive it, and then modify it so you understand why you are making the changes and what effect the changes have on the performance.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #7

Thanks I'll keep reading up on this crawler stuff and try to figure out what I want, Like I said I was hoping for the easy way out without wasting money on stuff I dont need.
Like buy this from here and you will be happy and competitive with few problems.
I appriciate everyone input.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Start with this: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23788
electronics:
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Tec...rodID=JRPS8711
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM6600
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...1&cat=2&page=1
Very Simple and small dig cutoff for the clod
some kind of 3 cell lipo. Probably somewhere between 1500-2100 mah.
Wheels:
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/VF-Stalke...h-p-16401.html
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...hlight=tuckers
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120696 (I don't know if anyone's used these with berg axles yet. They should work)

Or, start with these:
http://www.mpcrawlers.com/
the wheels listed above will make these axles too narrow, if they fit at all. Look for ericksons, MSD's, normal offset mayhems, etc...

Both axles have advantages and disadvantages. I went berg, but I would like a set of poulsons.

I'm not gonna get into chassis or tire choices. What works in those departments can vary based on driving style, terrain etc...

Just my $0.02...
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions Chris.
I think I'm going to build a ax-10.
If I want to go all out and change the chassis, transmission, wheels etc. should I even buy the kit or just buy the parts seperate?
I'm not sure what I would need from the kit.
Would it be cheaper just to buy all the parts?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions Chris.
I think I'm going to build a ax-10.
If I want to go all out and change the chassis, transmission, wheels etc. should I even buy the kit or just buy the parts seperate?
I'm not sure what I would need from the kit.
Would it be cheaper just to buy all the parts?
no, it would not be cheaper to buy all the parts. Start off with the kit and go from there. The tranny and axles are great for any comp roller. good luck
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #11

Thanks,
This is what I'm thinking of starting with any comments or suggestions are appriciated.

Axial ax-10 kit
Gatekeeper Designs GC-2 Chassis kit
MSD top gun wheels
RCP Crawlers AX10 2 Position Clockable Axle C
RCP Crawlers AX10 Max Clearance Knuckle
Axial Racing Aluminum Rear Axle Lock-out
Axial Racing Straight Axle 6x104x50mm
Axial Racing AX10 Heavy Duty Diff Locker
Axial Racing AX10 Heavy Duty Gear Set
VF ax-10 dig unit
Castle Creations Mamba Max
Castle Creations Battery Eliminator Circuit
Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 3014 Brushless Motor
Hitec 5955 Titanium Gear Servo
Hitec 645 Metal Gear Servo
Losi 4" Threaded Rock Crawler Shock Set w/Springs

This is the list I have started, what else is needed or not needed?

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Wow, great list.

I would not buy the AX-10 kit. IMO it's a waste of money. You can buy Axial axles for $80 and the trans for $40. That is all you need. If you buy the trans from RCP Crawlers, they sell the VF Dig with the transmission for $100. The GC2 will need links that are made by Traxxas so the Axial links will not be used. I would use Traxxas Maxx shafts or RC4WD Punisher shafts as drive shafts since they are stronger than the Axial's.

I make that recommendation because I learned the hard way. I bought my son an AX-10 kit and modified it from there. The only thing left from the original kit now is the transmission. I know people will disagree, but the axial bead locks suck, the chassis and everything is cheap, the drive shafts need the rings to keep from popping off, and in general it is just a starter kit. A nice starter kit, but if you get into more serious crawling, you will upgrade everything. You are better off buying just the axles and trans and building a quality rig from scratch. It will perform better and hold up to more abuse. Again that is just my opinion.

I like my MSD bead locks. I also really like my Eritex comp heavies. Eritex is cheaper also and they are in stock more than MSD. The brushless outrunner is gonna be tough on parts, so be prepared. Those motors have insane power. I would buy a 3S lipo for power. Try and buy the Panther tires also. Clearly you've done some reading since your original post and the list you put together shows it.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #13

Thanks Nova I was think that the most of the kit would not be used except for the axles and transmission.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #14

OK I made the jump
Here is what I've purchased so far.

Straight Axle 6x104 50mm (2)
HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET
2.2 Cougar Soft Crawler Tire with memory foam
VF Ax10 Rear Dig setup for AX10 tranny
Hitec HS-225MG
1/10 Grappler 2.2 Rock Crawler Body, Clear
Axial AX10 Scorpion
AX10 HEAVY DUTY DIFF LOCKER (2)
ALUMINUM REAR AXLE LOCK-OUT (2)
HS-5955 Titanium Gear High Speed Servo
4" Threaded Rock Crawler Shock Set w/Springs
Hitec Standard Aluminum Servo Horn
RCP Crawlers AX10 Max Clearance Knuckle (1 pair)
10322 RCP Crawlers AX10 2 Postion Clockable Axle C (1 pair)
RCP Ax10/TLT Aluminum Servo Plates With link Mounts (1 Pair)
Gatekeeper Designs GC-2 Chassis kit for Axial AX10 Scorpion
TCS Crawlers 8 cell Split Battery Pack for AX10 Scorpion - 9.6 volt - Deans Connector
TCS Delrin Axle Plates for Axial AX-10 Scorpion (2 each) $
RC4WD Punisher Shaft for AX10 Scorpion 111-145mm 4.37"-5.70"
Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 3014
Castle Creations Mamba Max
Castle Creations BEC

So what am I missing beside a radio and receiver(I may just use my helios or I found a great deal on a dx3r so I may get that)
And I'm going to pick up some wheels probably Eritex heavy comps or MSD top guns.

Any other suggestions?
What links should I use with the gc-2 chassis?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Axial AX10 Scorpion
RCP Ax10/TLT Aluminum Servo Plates With link Mounts (1 Pair)
TCS Delrin Axle Plates for Axial AX-10 Scorpion (2 each) $
RC4WD Punisher Shaft for AX10 Scorpion 111-145mm 4.37"-5.70"

What links should I use with the gc-2 chassis?
The GC2 comes with link plates. See if you can refund or exchange the plates you bought from RCP and TCS because you won't use them. The GC2 is designed to be used with it owns parts.

The GC2 uses 102 mm traxxas revo pushrods part #5318 for upper links. The lower links are 112mm revo pushrods part #5319. They are sold in pairs so you need two of each.

You listed the Axial Scorpion, did you buy that kit also?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #16

Thanks for the help, I'll should be able to send back those parts.
Whats ends go onto those links?
I went ahead and just bought the kit it only cost my $90 more than buying just the axles and transmission so I figured I maybe able to use some of the other parts for something plus I get some extra rims to bash around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
The GC2 comes with link plates. See if you can refund or exchange the plates you bought from RCP and TCS because you won't use them. The GC2 is designed to be used with it owns parts.

The GC2 uses 102 mm traxxas revo pushrods part #5318 for upper links. The lower links are 112mm revo pushrods part #5319. They are sold in pairs so you need two of each.

You listed the Axial Scorpion, did you buy that kit also?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #17
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for the help, I'll should be able to send back those parts.
Whats ends go onto those links?
I went ahead and just bought the kit it only cost my $90 more than buying just the axles and transmission so I figured I maybe able to use some of the other parts for something plus I get some extra rims to bash around with.
The push rods come with ends so you are fine. I hate to tell you, but the kit was waste. The plastic bead locks will not hold up long term to 8 cell brushless power. You will strip the hexes. I would return the kit as well. Like I said earlier, just the axles and transmission. You are going to use nothing else from the kit. You bought everything else you needed separately. You won't recoup the money selling new parts you won't use yourself either. Return them while you can.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:25 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Just my opinion....but I think that starting with the kit STOCK....then learning about each upgrade and how it effects performance is an invaluable lesson. I say this not because I want to see a person new to crawling spend money on bad parts, or because I do not want a person to have success....but rather because learning to drive the rig, then improving based on terrain and style of driving is important, and will untimately lead to LESS money spent. Here is a link to my progressive build of my AX-10. Evolution of My Scorpion Ultimately, the only parts that are still AXIAL are the axle housings and gears....the rest of the truck is after-market comp quality parts. I did a huge ammount of reading and research into the individual parts that I chose beyond the initial build. The initial parts were chosen for low price just so that I could learn a little before spending a lot. ($1500 so far PLUS radio (DX6 modded...love the stick radio for crawling))

I wish you the best with this build...and GREAT success in your COMP endeavors....I just recommend learning as much as possible before modding the hell out of a rig...some of those fancy parts may really not fit the needs that your terrain may/may not demmand. A little trial and error can go a long way. Best of luck.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have to also agree get your money back from the ax-10 kit use the money for something else the axle and tranny the only thing you really need. Sounds like you have a good list of stuff to make a good crawler looking forward to seeing it.
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
RCC Addict

The kit will come in handy for all the little screws and things that you will need. You can sell the plastic beadlocks, tires, links, chassis plates and body that came with the kit to recover some of the money. Good luck with your rig, it sounds like its gonna be a nice one and post pics as your building. If you run into any problems, there are several of the GC2s that are out there that the guys would be happy to answer your questions about.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote