Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: HELP!!!need decision help on shoes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question HELP!!!need decision help on shoes!

ok i have an ax-10rtr thats pretty much converted with the kit stuff it was missing...runs and works great...need new rubber and rims...the stock stuff with star foams just aint cuttin it. im lookin at the panther cougars and the proline flatirons for tires and the axial kit truck beadlocks or the 8shooter beadlocks for wheels....i wheel in western colorado and moab and everywhere in between. im going for a black wheel as well. any suggestions on what to pick? also looking to run the m2 compound and memory foams. what about wheel weights?
drilldeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Oppan Gangnam Style

Not to bust your chops but why is it that more and more people need someone else to make up their mind for them? It just seems like a rediculous thing that you can't make up your mind for yourself. There are numerous tire test threads with way too much information in them, take the time to read them! These threads can give you all the pertinent information that you need in regard to the current "hot tires" out there.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Not to bust your chops but why is it that more and more people need someone else to make up their mind for them? It just seems like a rediculous thing that you can't make up your mind for yourself. There are numerous tire test threads with way too much information in them, take the time to read them! These threads can give you all the pertinent information that you need in regard to the current "hot tires" out there.

I agree... but, if you are looking. Here is my AX-10 with Proline 8-shooters and Proline M2 Badlands with Mem. foams.

msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Frankly the Flat Irons suck worse than your stock tires. the cougar work nice and are a bit taller. I too have badlands and now prefer the cougars
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Default matter of opinion for sure........

I have run many tires on my comp rigs and i have found out that in my opinion there is No 'be all end all" tire out there that will out-do the rest. I live in Pa where conditions tend to sway from hot and dry to wet and or mossy or even cold n snow.Pa sees all 4 seasons n yep i've swept snow to be able to crawl in 20 degree weather. Silly Peeay boys. Anyway, I have had plenty of tires. I've run mashers, moabs, modded mo-lands,modded losi claws, lizards,rc4wd stompers,crushers, crazy krawlers,hammers, flat irons, and cougars. I am currently running panther cougars on my o.g. OCM and love them. You will find out that one tire may preform well in some places but not in others or preform better on some rigs than others. As for the panthers,so far so good but i surely will have the same results sooner or later. I just havent gotten as much runtime on these yet. Back to your question, I'd say run whatever you feel. in my opinion id run panthers,hammers or claws. Honestly,You cant go too wrong with tire choices these days........Pick what ya like
Stick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StIcK kInG View Post
I have run many tires on my comp rigs and i have found out that in my opinion there is No 'be all end all" tire out there that will out-do the rest. I live in Pa where conditions tend to sway from hot and dry to wet and or mossy or even cold n snow.Pa sees all 4 seasons n yep i've swept snow to be able to crawl in 20 degree weather. Silly Peeay boys. Anyway, I have had plenty of tires. I've run mashers, moabs, modded mo-lands,modded losi claws, lizards,rc4wd stompers,crushers, crazy krawlers,hammers, flat irons, and cougars. I am currently running panther cougars on my o.g. OCM and love them. You will find out that one tire may preform well in some places but not in others or preform better on some rigs than others. As for the panthers,so far so good but i surely will have the same results sooner or later. I just havent gotten as much runtime on these yet. Back to your question, I'd say run whatever you feel. in my opinion id run panthers,hammers or claws. Honestly,You cant go too wrong with tire choices these days........Pick what ya like

True. DoubleDub threw done the run of the comp Saturday with a -2 on a very tough technical course. blew us away on a set of Rubicons
Old 06-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

It is almost embarrassing how many sets of tires that I bring to a comp now just to try and be competitive and then I usually suck anyway!
doubledub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledub View Post
It is almost embarrassing how many sets of tires that I bring to a comp now just to try and be competitive and then I usually suck anyway!
I resemble that remark
Old 06-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

alright...well chino, i have read all posts concerning all tires and wheels and such, thanks for your mouthy opinion. i was looking for info pertaining to what i was interested in, not someone to make a decision for me. i have looked at photos and read all stats and info on everything i was looking at. i was merely looking for a personal opinion and info that might help me reach my own decision. i do the same thing in 1:1 crawling, so to those that replied with info thanks much.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilldeep View Post
alright...well chino, i have read all posts concerning all tires and wheels and such, thanks for your mouthy opinion. i was looking for info pertaining to what i was interested in, not someone to make a decision for me. i have looked at photos and read all stats and info on everything i was looking at. i was merely looking for a personal opinion and info that might help me reach my own decision. i do the same thing in 1:1 crawling, so to those that replied with info thanks much.
His reply was not "mouthy". If you read his post the way it was supposed to be read, you would see he is not bashing you, but telling you that if you take the time to read the multi-page threads about the tire comparisons, you will get all the info you will ever need to make a decision for yourself. The info you are looking for has been answered many times before. If you really did look hard, you wouldnt be asking about it. The flatirons arent that great of a comp tire, while the new panther tires are looking to be the tire of the year.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal crawler View Post
His reply was not "mouthy". If you read his post the way it was supposed to be read, you would see he is not bashing you, but telling you that if you take the time to read the multi-page threads about the tire comparisons, you will get all the info you will ever need to make a decision for yourself. The info you are looking for has been answered many times before. If you really did look hard, you wouldnt be asking about it. The flatirons arent that great of a comp tire, while the new panther tires are looking to be the tire of the year.
He was mouthy...............like usual
Old 06-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
He was mouthy...............like usual
Ok....... maybe a little.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Bla Bla Bla Read Read Read

Just Start Buying Tires (starting With Your Top Choice) Till You Find The Ones You Like!
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

well, apparently i cant get my point across here so whatever... its like looking in magazines and crap at tires for an actual jeep. you can read all day long and research all you want but ill still go down to the local shop and ask what they think is the best tire goin at the time....doesnt mean im gonna follow their word like a sheep, i just want real world opinion from the people i know that have dealt with it. i was guessing there were people on here that crawl in moab and colorado that have ran multiple sets of tires... but once again people would rather talk smack than just offer good advice. once again, thanks guys that have offered me good info and to those that would rather put their noses in the air, please just keep your comments to yourself rather than get under my skin.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

it wasnt ment to get under your skin its just that is the only way i can find a tire that suits me. IMHO
Old 06-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

jamesdicken....no that wasnt meant for you...i totally get what you were sayin...it was the guy at the begining of the comments. i cant stand arrogance and snobs. if i dont have something helpful or positive to say ill just keep my mouth shut and i prefer that from others....ya know? i would love to go buy one set of everything and run em til i find what works but i dont have that kind of extra money to toss at a toy truck.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

so have you decided on a set yet?

p.s. anything is better then the stockers. imho
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Talking U pick a set out yet sonny?

Just go order those panther cougars and get it over with, ya know ya want to... Just playin' so what did ya decide to go with?
Stick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:30 AM   #19
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilldeep View Post
jamesdicken....no that wasnt meant for you...i totally get what you were sayin...it was the guy at the begining of the comments. i cant stand arrogance and snobs. if i dont have something helpful or positive to say ill just keep my mouth shut and i prefer that from others....ya know? i would love to go buy one set of everything and run em til i find what works but i dont have that kind of extra money to toss at a toy truck.
I wasn't trying to be arrogant or being a snob. I appologize to you if that's how you took it but when I read your post, I interpreted it as you wanting someone to make the decision for you without you making a conscious effort to find out for yourself. I was merely trying to point out that the information is out there, all you have to do is take a little time and do some research. Many people have already posted tire comparisons and reviews here on RCC as well as on many other boards which contain all the vital information about a particular tire's performance. Sorry to group you in with all the lazy people out there that can't seem to make up their minds for themselves but it just didn't sound like you did any research before posting.

Last edited by chino63; 06-02-2008 at 03:40 AM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Claws and Flat Irons m3 imo good luck
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote