Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: droop step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default droop step

i am really wanting to setup my ax-10s suspesion. I have heard alot about people using a droop set up but i dont quite understand how or what this is.If someone can show me the step up and how to do it that would be great.Thanks
Nick
life_livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
WVB
Quarry Creeper

More can be found by simply utilizing the "search".
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

i just took out my springs and put 50wt oil on then left and 100wt oil in the right.
it stays low when climbing up steep stuff but still extends when breaking over stuff

jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

add some springs behind your shock piston's.
The added tension from the springs will help w/the unloading @break-over.

Pickup an assortment from your local hardware store, and start experimenting
mr_manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Springs Are The Debil
Old 06-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i have kind of a dual rate setup i have a heavier spring under the piston and a little lighter one on top and use 30 wt oil seems to do ok i know i could stand to use a heavier oil but they dont unload to quickly but then again i dont run any comps either so i cant say if it works for that but for what i do it works very well
frsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #7

I am also new to crawling, and an experimenting with different spring weights at the moment. Settled on the super-softs for now, but I would also like to experiment with an internal spring setup. Any idea how stiff the springs should be for these droop setups?
Fat-Alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i got my internal springs from the local hardware store in the screw section they have them there i bought a bunch of different rate springs and went form there i cant remember how many time i have taken my shocks apart to add or take out springs now but its been alot now it feels pretty good to me with the ones i have in there now the stiffness depends on how much the rig weighs i think im new as well and have learned alot on here
frsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

just take off your springs and add thick oil.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken View Post
just take off your springs and add thick oil.
bad idea...in a droop setup you really want a spring under the piston holding the shock compressed. I tried it without any springs, and saw a HUGE improvement when i added springs. Im using the soft springs from tcs in the front, and the mediums in the rear and it performs great...
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj05nismo View Post
bad idea...in a droop setup you really want a spring under the piston holding the shock compressed. I tried it without any springs, and saw a HUGE improvement when i added springs. Im using the soft springs from tcs in the front, and the mediums in the rear and it performs great...

Not really a bad idea. It all depends on weight,shocks used,valving in your shocks,shock angles and the weight of oil used. Some shocks work well with straight oil,no springs. Some shocks require changing the piston to adjust the valving.

I ran 1000 weight diff oil in my shocks on my super last year,no internal springs and it worked very well.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

i find that running any springs hurts my trucks want to articulate.with springs i found that my truck would want to stay stiff and i didnt want that
Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj05nismo View Post

if its such a bad idea then why am i ranked second in Phoenix out of the Phoenix Area Rock Crawlers!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Bashers

Because its pheonix!
-WHEELMAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Gawd....Just experiment with oil weights, spring rates and valving until you feel you have a winner. It's up to the individual drivers preference. Take the advice given on droop set up and tune from there.
jwcustomwurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcustomwurks View Post
Gawd....Just experiment with oil weights, spring rates and valving until you feel you have a winner. It's up to the individual drivers preference. Take the advice given on droop set up and tune from there.
That can be said about ANY aspect of a crawler.

The rig/set up is very important. The driver is equally as important. Finding a combo that works with YOUR driving style/skill level,is the key.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
i find that running any springs hurts my trucks want to articulate.with springs i found that my truck would want to stay stiff and i didnt want that
A limited articulation truck can out perform a truck with 90 degrees of articulation in most circumstances. If there is no articulation in your truck with springs get softer springs and you will be fine. I run about 45 degrees of articulation on my ax10 and it will GO.
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmonster View Post
A limited articulation truck can out perform a truck with 90 degrees of articulation in most circumstances. If there is no articulation in your truck with springs get softer springs and you will be fine. I run about 45 degrees of articulation on my ax10 and it will GO.
Agreed. Don't overestimate articulation/spring setup. If one of your front wheels drops into a gap your truck is most likely just going to try and pull itself down in that gap further and break something..looks kinda funny when the rest of your rig still has all other tires firmly planted still. It's a little tricky...you want to be able to carry your tire over said gap while still having some artic.
jwcustomwurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcustomwurks View Post
Agreed. Don't overestimate articulation/spring setup. If one of your front wheels drops into a gap your truck is most likely just going to try and pull itself down in that gap further and break something..looks kinda funny when the rest of your rig still has all other tires firmly planted still. It's a little tricky...you want to be able to carry your tire over said gap while still having some artic.
Agreed as well. Articulation is overated, what kind of traction can you get with your rim firmly on its side wall... its better to have a certain limit like 45 to 50 degrees, i have always ran mine with not too much over kill and have done better than my buddies who have twice as much and they are always scratching their heads...
Toycrawler5481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

1. Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    [HTML][/HTML]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WVB View Post
    hows that shock set up working for you in that confriguation ?? thanks for any info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVB View Post
More can be found by simply utilizing the "search".
ROCKCAD is offline   Reply With Quote