Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newb Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Newb Question

Hey, I was wondering about how much money would i have to put into my scorpion to make it comp ready? and if you wouldnt mind, list what i would need.

Thanks in advance
88toyota88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

do you have the rtr or kit?
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Rtr
Old 07-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88toyota88 View Post
Rtr
Start searching and reading then. You will find maybe you need a lot and maybe you don't.

Some would go all aluminum and some would not. Some could win a comp with an rtr and some couldn't after they spent $2500.00. Some would upgrade all electronics, etc.....

You get the idea.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Start searching and reading then. You will find maybe you need a lot and maybe you don't.

Some would go all aluminum and some would not. Some could win a comp with an rtr and some couldn't after they spent $2500.00. Some would upgrade all electronics, etc.....

You get the idea.
^ great advice ^

All the money in the world invested into a crawler will not make up for poor driving, poor line selection, or poor decision making in a comp. The best thing to do is drive what you have. Modify things slowly so you learn the benefit of each component being upgraded. Go to comps and compete. You will learn so much just by being in it and around others doing it. And most importantly - have fun. That is what this is really all about.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I couldn't agree more. I went with a buddy of mine to our last comp. He was running a stock kit and I had put a bunch of minor upgrades on my rig. He was envious of my rig all the way to comp and kind of wished he would have done more mods. It turned out, the mods I had didn't help with my torque twist, and the power from my huge brushless motor was ripping the lower links right out of the rod ends. He ran his box stock crawler and didn't break once, I had to change 4 rod ends. The point is, I had about $400 more in mine than he did, yet his crawler was dependable when it mattered. I still beat him because he made some mistakes, but he didn't take on repair and I took a lot. I agree with the others.

When i got into crawling I wanted a list of what to do. With other RC's, there's only a few ways to go about a race rig, someone can tell you what to buy, and then you drive. With crawling, it's not about what mods you have. It's about how you set up your rig to fit your driving style. That said, here's a starting point.

You will want the weight down as close to the axles as possible, so figure out how you want to mount your batteries on the axle or wherever. The stock battery is the biggest thing keeping an axial from being capable. You will also want to upgrade the steering links in the front from plastic to aluminum and install a better servo. Then just drive it and make suspension adjustments accordingly. I believe about 90% of crawling (as far as the rig is concerned) is decided by the suspension on the rig. You can dial in the stock suspension and have a very capable comp rig, or you can spend $500 on suspension and be worse off than stock if it's not dialed in, so I would start with the factory stuff.

Do some research and decide if you want to run brushed or brushless, then find out what batteries you will need and plan out your drivetrain.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have the Rooster motor and speed control, losi cralwer shocks, and losi claws and getting the aluminum suspension hopefully this week.