Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Noob VF dig question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Noob VF dig question?

Ok I had a thought today while I was looking for a 3 way switch for my remote. The dig is gonna have 3 postions so when the dig is in 4wd mode would the switch be switched on to one side or in the middle? A friend of mine just set his dig up with the MX-3 remote and the way he has his is when the switch is all the way up the truck is in 4wd. He moves it one like it is in front dig with rear locked. I am thinking the way it should be set up is when the switch is in the off position the truck would be in dig with the rear freewheel. But to have it in 4wd the servo would be turned on and sitting in one position for a long time. Wouldnt that burn up the servo pretty quick and run the battery down quicker as well?
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Don't think about it as on and off as far as the servo goes, because your switch on your tx isn't turning anything off and on, it's simply changing the position. A three way switch should be one way for 4wd, middle for freewheel, and the other way for dig. I never had any luck getting the mini servo's setup with the end point adjustments before they fried, so I went with a 645 on my VF, but when you set the end points make sure you adjust it to where it's in the postition you want it in but the servo isn't humming, and you'll be fine.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
Don't think about it as on and off as far as the servo goes, because your switch on your tx isn't turning anything off and on, it's simply changing the position. A three way switch should be one way for 4wd, middle for freewheel, and the other way for dig. I never had any luck getting the mini servo's setup with the end point adjustments before they fried, so I went with a 645 on my VF, but when you set the end points make sure you adjust it to where it's in the postition you want it in but the servo isn't humming, and you'll be fine.
Ok thats what I needed to know. I figured that when the switch was in the middle position it would be in front dig with the rear freewheel. The dig I bought is coming with a 225 plus I have another 225 that I had already bought. If I burn them up I will find a way to use my 5645 that just took off of the steering. I just put a 5955 on there and it much better.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
Ok thats what I needed to know. I figured that when the switch was in the middle position it would be in front dig with the rear freewheel. The dig I bought is coming with a 225 plus I have another 225 that I had already bought. If I burn them up I will find a way to use my 5645 that just took off of the steering. I just put a 5955 on there and it much better.
If it comes to the use of a bigger servo like it did for me, it's a simple swap if you have an extra stock ax10 servo plate. I had the rear one since I'm running the Boomerang back there, and just put the servo mounts on, sat the VF servo mount between them, market and drilled the holes, and that was it.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #5

Make sure you have very fine control of all 3 positions, end point adjustments. Very important. That little 225 does not like to be in a bind situation, I just cooked one I thought was fine, it wasn't.
sedanman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Another thing with the mini servo, if you are running a external bec that could also stress it unless you can turn the voltage down to 4.8. Seems like it can tolerate being bound up for longer periods of time if you're not running a full 6 volt bec into the mini servo. However, keep in mind that you do want a full 6 volts for your steering servo.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

the best way to set it up is to start with the endpoints really close. Say 25-35% then go out from there.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
RCC Addict

END-POINTS are critical for the set-up. I've been using one 225 since i got my VF, and have had NO troubles. Follow the instuctions for the set-up of linkage etal.. and you should not have any troubles. If you don't have epa adjustments, rig to only do 4wd and lock, much easier to set up
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_kanaka View Post
Another thing with the mini servo, if you are running a external bec that could also stress it unless you can turn the voltage down to 4.8. Seems like it can tolerate being bound up for longer periods of time if you're not running a full 6 volt bec into the mini servo. However, keep in mind that you do want a full 6 volts for your steering servo.
I ordered a CC BEC when I got my motor but I have not put it on. I am running the 5955 servo up front and will have a 225 dig servo. You think I will need the BEC? I want to say it come set up at 5.1V or something like that. I wasnt sure what voltage I needed it set at so I just left it at that. The BEC rating on my ESC is 6 volts. Is there a way to use the Internal BEC for the steering servo and use the castle BEC for the dig?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Now that last question was a good one - I am watching for responses to that.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Your radio (TQ3) does not have end point adjustments in stock form. See sticky in electronics section for that mod.
corkysk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkysk8 View Post
Your radio (TQ3) does not have end point adjustments in stock form. See sticky in electronics section for that mod.
Ohhh......Good catch on that one. I was thinking MX3 but now I realize that was your friend's setup. Definately check into the electronics section on what all you have to mod on that TQ3, or the servo's wont last more than a minute or so.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I have a airtronic MX-3 now too. I bought it off ebay a couple weeks ago for $50.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have a airtronic MX-3 now too. I bought it off ebay a couple weeks ago for $50.
Cool, then you're good to go. Like someone else said set your end points low, down around 20%-30% starting out. Mine are only 35%.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I ordered a CC BEC when I got my motor but I have not put it on. I am running the 5955 servo up front and will have a 225 dig servo. You think I will need the BEC? I want to say it come set up at 5.1V or something like that. I wasnt sure what voltage I needed it set at so I just left it at that. The BEC rating on my ESC is 6 volts. Is there a way to use the Internal BEC for the steering servo and use the castle BEC for the dig?
easy squeasy.

go out and buy a Y harness.
plug both servo and bec to harness.
plug harness into receiver and pull the red wire from the plug that goes to the receiver from the Y.

leave the speed control wire intact, and your good to go!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Robert: what mysharona about wiring the BEC is perfect, but you only need to use it for the steering servo. The 225 pulls so little there is no need for a BEC. The steering servo prob has much more torque and is being used alot more and under a bigger load. Wiring with the "Y"harness will isolate the steering servo, and will not shut the system down if you get the steering bound up. Let the ESC do the work for the 225. And no you do not have to up the voltage to the dig, stock is plenty. Again end-points are critical!!
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
easy squeasy.

go out and buy a Y harness.
plug both servo and bec to harness.
plug harness into receiver and pull the red wire from the plug that goes to the receiver from the Y.

leave the speed control wire intact, and your good to go!
If you do that you'll be running both servos at 6 volts. Actually reading it more carefully, I don't see how that helps at all. You do have to operate the 225 on a different channel from that of your steering servo.

The idea is to lower the voltage going into the 225 to 4.8, which you can do with a second ccbec. A friend of mine has his set up to run the steering servo off of the ccbec and the 225 of the esc bec.

However if you're running the novak rooster, I would run the steering servo on the esc bec, and use the ccbec for the 225 with it programed to output 4.8volts.

In my setup I have the rooster's bec powering both my steering and 225 dig servo, and I haven't had any problems with burning my 225(I'm knocking on wood right now). However, as soon as I do burn my 225, if that ever does happen, I'll be setting it up with a ccbec to turn down the voltage, and running the steering servo with the rooster's bec.

The other option is to run two of the ccbec and program them accordingly.

Last edited by crazy_kanaka; 07-17-2008 at 03:13 PM.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote