Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 4ws questions - generic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #1

Default 4ws questions - generic

So I have a AX10...
Rooster crawler ESC and 55T novak motor
Hitec servo's (35 dollar ones - dont recall model number)

I made the mistake of watching too many youtube video's of people with 4ws and crab walking...
So now of course.. that's the next mod...
(Keep in mind I havent even driving this thing yet)

I did some searching and came across this post DX3R Setting 4ws and crab walk

Kinda answered what i'm about to ask...

To do things like 4ws crab walk, etc I need more than 2 channels on my controller correct?

Currently I have a 2 channel controller, so as it sits I can use a Y cable and have 4WS, but it will operate dependant, meaning i turn left, they both turn left (you know what i mean)

If I want to do crab walks, or independant steering what do I need?
What controller do i use? Does this call for a mixer? Is the mixer a seperate electronic on the buggy or part of the remote?

I would like to be able to
- 4ws
- crab walk

To do this properly am I still going to use a pistol grip style controller, or go to a twin stick controller (is that what it's called)?

If i add a dig unit in the future, I guess I need an extra channel free for that too...

Pointers greatly appreciated...

EDIT -

If i do this
http://ukrcrc.com/site/index.php?opt...d=25&Itemid=43
I would be able to do the above (4ws and crabwalk) but not have an additional channel for a dig in the future... correct?

Last edited by RetchedOne; 07-23-2008 at 03:04 PM.
RetchedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Hey I'm pretty new at the crawler thing ,I've only had mine about 6 months, but from my understanding to control the rear steer independently from the front you must have a 3 channel radio and reciever. Keep in mind the radios 3rd channel switch MUST be 3 position. right pos, neutral(middle) and left pos. you can have 4ws with a 2 channel radio using a y adaptor for the servo's but the rear steering will not be independent from the front. when you turn the front wheels the rear wheels also turn. But you must remember to get a 3 channel radio with a 3 position 3rd channel switch or it will not work. To run dig you will either not be able to run 4ws or you will have to get a 4 channel radio and also must be a 3 position switch for it also. 4wd/Freewheel/locked. I hope this helps.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I meant to say I've personally have a 75mhz FM Jr sport XR3 radio with 3 channels and a 3 pos switch and it works great. I don't have rearsteer right now but I wanted the option open with a 3rd channel. but if you look there are lots of 3 channel radio's out ther that would work. I've heard alot of people say they were using a traxxas tq3 radio with some type of switch mod. I'm assuming they just installed a 3 pos momentary switch on the 3rd ch. wires.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #4

Well after much searching I've decided to foget about the indapendant rear steering, that using a Y cable will do for now.

I'm going to pick up one of the TQ3 remotes and mod it for the VF Dig unit instead...
Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #5

You should get a Futaba 3PM radio. It only costs $120 and it will do 4 wheel steer, front wheel steer with rear wheels straight, and crab steer. The other nice thing about it, it's FM, not AM. It will work for your future dig also, giving you a 3 position set-up, dig, 4-wheel drive, and neutral. I'd forget the TQ when you can get a radio for so little money that will do more.

If you feel rich, you could get a DX3R, which cost almost 3 times as much as the 3PM.

There is even an article here on RCC that even tells you how to program the 3PM.
cyclone-charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone-charlie View Post
You should get a Futaba 3PM radio. It only costs $120 and it will do 4 wheel steer, front wheel steer with rear wheels straight, and crab steer. The other nice thing about it, it's FM, not AM. It will work for your future dig also, giving you a 3 position set-up, dig, 4-wheel drive, and neutral. I'd forget the TQ when you can get a radio for so little money that will do more.

If you feel rich, you could get a DX3R, which cost almost 3 times as much as the 3PM.

There is even an article here on RCC that even tells you how to program the 3PM.
Dont you need 4 channels if i want all that and a multii position dig setup?

Maybe i'm missing somethign...

Channel 1 - speed
Channel 2 - steering (4ws dependant)
channel 3 - Dig

Channel 4 would be crab walk...?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

you will need a 4 ch. radio if you want 4ws and dig and both the 3rd. and 4th channels must be a 3 position switch
Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I see what you mean. but if you want to 4ws crawl you want have the rear steering hooked up to the second channel. ch.1 Throttle, ch.2 steering(front), ch.3 rear steering(3 pos switch for left, right, straight) and ch.4 dig (3 pos switch for 4wd, freewheel, dig)