LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #1

Default ax10 shocks and springs

what kind of shocks and springs shoud i run on ax10
heartbeatblue84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I would guess that the stock ones would be a good place to start and then experiment from there by changing the shock oil, springs, limiters, pre-load, etc.

Or you can jump onto the Losi Shocks and then do the same experiments to see what works for you.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #3

As AreCee said the stocks ones with different spring and oil combinations work well. I had a problem with the top caps popping off so I switched to HPI's A718 with 30 wt oil. The shocks are a little shorter, but all aluminum and the springs they come with work pretty well. Easy-off (see other de-anodizing threads) takes care of the purple. I have also heard the HPI shocks work well with ball point pen springs if you want an internal droop set up, although I have not tried it.
Knotaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yeah, if you have too much oil in the shock the cap can pop off. I just push the piston up about three fourths of the way up before putting on the caps. So far no pop offs and good damping.

I'm using the white in front and yellow and in the rear. I think I'm going to try the green in front next with 30wt.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

well I had my stock axial shocks for about a month after buying it and they seemed to work fine. BUT they made a big mess leaked all over the place. then you read put them upside down. In my opinion if they were designed to run upside down thats how they would have told you to put them in the instructions. I went a purchased a set of the 4" losi crawler shocks and it's like night and day. they are so smooth and easily set-up. I believe the only thing I think they could have made better on the losi's is the shock cap is at the bottom so in order to change the oil you must take it off completely just about. but once you get it right you'll never have to mess with it again. the only other problem is the way it mounts. they don't have ball ends like axials do. but with a little fiddleling you can make it happen. run a search of shock suggestions on the forum..most will tell you losi. I have'nt regreted this purchase at all
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Finished rebuilding my AX10 shocks. Using AE Green Slime, 30wt all around, white springs in front and a blue spring with a large pre-load spacer on the left rear and yellow on the right rear. Shocks are smooth and stiction free.

Went to my favorite local rock area. Managed to climb and crawl over some areas that gave the old set-up problems.

I think I'll spend the $50 on good Lipo packs rather than another set of shocks.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Glad to hear you got them working. They're a decent shock. Play around with limiting them a little. Most folks find they work better when you take about 10mm out of the travel, reducing flex.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #8

Default yea

go with the losi shocks and then use the bent lower control arm ball ends on the end of the shock to give you a little more clearance because stocks are 5" and the losis are 4" but they do so much better
dieseldick3408 is offline   Reply With Quote