Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: noob here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #1

Default noob here

Hey guys. I just deicided that I need a new hobby. I used to be really active and did lots of sports. But I had a terrible ropeswinging accident and I wrecked my ankle really good and I am unable to do the things I used to do in the past.

I do, however offroad a suzuki samurai and ride a motorcycle, so I'm not new to mechanical things. And I know about 4wheelin and rock crawling (I used to have a nice TJ)

Anyhow, this is just kinda a thread to introduce myself and maybe ask suggestions on what would be a good rig to start off with and not have to spend an arm and a leg on it.

I have one of those wally-crawlers that I cut the springs down on and added bigger tires, but its pretty stupid. Im looking for something a little more into the hobby than something I can get for $50 at wal-mart.

I have had cheapo rc cars in the past from radio shack (I even took apart a rear end and super glued the spider gears together )

Anyway.

Howdy all.

-Ben
mrcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Welcome ben,
As for a good rock crawler that doesnt cost an arm and a leg go for the axial rtr. It is like 225-250 ready to run out of the box. All you need is 8 AA, a 7.2 stick pack and a charger. It comes with a second gear for better crawling, a 2 channel radio, and a differential lock. And since you have background with real trucks youll be suprised to see that the rock crawlers are built exactly the sam as a real truck. The differentials the axials the 3 links. It makes it really easy to work on
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yeap I agree, the parts are more scale of a fullsize truck than any other RC I've had, and it made it a lot easier for me to work on when I first got started. The RTR is a good deal, but if you can spend a little more to get started, the ARTR and the kit offer a lot of upgrades already on the truck. I think the ARTR (the orange axial ax-10) is the best deal, because not only does it have all the aluminum parts that are plastic on the RTR, such as link bars and steering tie rod, but it also has several upgrades such as really nice tires and memory foams, a straight axle lock out in the rear, and bent links in the raer for added ground clearance. If you have any questions about anything feel free to shoot me a PM.

I highly reccomend buying a $20 supporter star, that way you'll be able to access the classified section, and there are TONS of nice crawlers and TONS of parts going for sale in there. If you buy the ARTR, you can put a decent set of electronics in for around $120 give or take a few, and no telling how much you could save buy buying nice used stuff in the for sale section.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
support@rc4wd.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcox View Post
Hey guys. I just deicided that I need a new hobby. I used to be really active and did lots of sports. But I had a terrible ropeswinging accident and I wrecked my ankle really good and I am unable to do the things I used to do in the past.

-Ben
Gotta laugh at that My buddy and I had a rope swing when I was younger made from a 2x12 rounded . It read "Death Wish" on the underside of the seat And yea we could have died on some of the cliffs we swung from.

Kevin just posted this up. It may help you A Detailed Description of the Different Types of Crawlers

roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

welcome to RC Crawler;)
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote