Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New AX-10 owner!!! Need advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #1

Default New AX-10 owner!!! Need advice!

Hey, So I just picked up a Axial used online from illeagle (might know him from this very forum), seems to be a nice little rig, But I am wondering what I will need to get this rig running great for me... The MAIN use I want it for is for playing around in the woods, I like going on nice hikes sometimes and love just relaxing out in the middle of nowhere and toying around with some of my other RCs (I have a 18scale mini monster baja I bring alot (in backpack), but think itd be nice to have a little buddy who can make it out, run around, and drive back (want 30-40 minute runtimes preferably)

I dont think i will ever be into competition crawling, but then again, who knows, and not even heavy CRAWLING, but I want my rig to basically be able to get through whatever is in the path type deal...

Here is a link to the page from RCTech where I bought it...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=235666

I am thinking I will need a hump pack for the front axle (what will elite 1500s give for run time?), and do I need special/different mounting plates for them?

any other stupid weak links on this rig that would be easy/cheap to fix up? Thanks alot guys! look forward to kicking around this forum and learning alot from all of you.

also... airsoft BBs (arent these plastic and rather light weight? should i use lead or copper BBs? hell, ill fill em with 00 buckshot if thatd work best haha). :-P:-P:-P PUMPED! CANT WAIT
kirktcashalini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

this should help

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/search.php
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #3

yeah... Trust me, I browsed alot, but still dont know jack... just know what I see... will the hump really help alot? also, any little simple tricks/easy things?

where are the weak points in this setup basically.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm assuming your "hump" pack is just a split pack. Yes having the batteries on your axle will help alot. 1500s will give around an hour runtime. The more cells, the more power and run time you get. Go for an 8-cell split pack and you will be very pleased.

Here is a thread that I started before I got my rig that contains some "weak link" info. ax10 must-haves
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #5

the 15oo's are a bit "lite" on the juice if your going to stay with nicad or nihm look for a 3300 ,4200 ,or a 5000 this will give you good run time,as far as "weak points replace the stock steering knuckles with after market parts and upgrade the drive shafts. also stick on tire weights wrapped around the rims gives great weight,better than bb's rolling around inside the tires.

Last edited by fishnstash; 08-05-2008 at 03:55 PM.
fishnstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think that getting the battery down on the front axle is one of the single most important hop ups over stock, because of how much weight throws off the COG with a battery in the highest point of the chassis.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #7

good info there, still got a bunch of that to go through... I WOULD LOVE to go 8cell esp with a 55t motor... but this esc says 6cell max on alot of websites, heres one http://hobby-shack.amazonwebstore.co...B000BOB47S.htm

This is why I am wondering if an 8cell would work

also... what tooth pinion should i use for this setup, and what pitch are the axial spurs? I have a bumch of random crap layin around my RC table, but might want to order some small things if you guys say they should run well
Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

u mite be best of going with an x-trail chassis if u dont want to go intense crawling
U$edUpH00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #9

pictures!!!!!! I got it!!! YAY, love this thing, built some aluminum plates for me to put the electronics on, and battery up front, and checked everything, deaned up the whole truck, and ummm, yeah Im loving this thing, REALLY slow, but eh 55turn on a 6cell, not going to get much speed, I Think I am going to need a new ESC that can handle 8cell. I know alot of guys run the castle brushless controllers, do these work good, Do I need to worry about an external BEC, and also, what AMPS should i worry about from this engine, will a 25a ESC work? Or what?

And this intelect 1400 SUCKS, I HAVE to build a new one... can someone shoot me in the right direction for some better servo plates/battery plates for a nice saddle pack?

Last edited by 666; 08-09-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #10

anyone? any tips?!?!?! I got BBs today going to load up the wheels, how many do most people run in front/rear...

I solved my battery problems with a small 1320mah 2s lipo which runs great. and trimmed up a lot out of the wheel wells of betty.

how much do bent lower links help?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The bent lower links really make a big difference. They allow moer ground clearance. The stock lower links will hit the rocks before the tires and pick the rear of the truck up, and when the tires are not touching there's no traction. You wont have that problem with bent links. We have them in the Axial and STRC versions. STRC has a lot of really cool color choices available. Let me know if you need anything, I'll do my best to take good care of ya. I'm also doing a monthly drawing to give a prize to one of my customers each month.

http://eastendmachining.com/staxschopupp.html
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Rock Claws is all I got to say. I never found anything good about those stock rock lizards. You will notice a HUGE jump in performance with rock claws. Good Luck and congrats on the new addiction.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #13

Cool, Thanks guys... I just put a bit of BBs in all the tires, and already noticed quite a difference where the low wheel would start to creep up in the air, no longer doing this, and able to climb a few rocks i couldn't previously (incline basically) I am going to run these tires until I think i am being held back by them... as a newb I don't really know where/how the tires are hurting me, but like a lot of things in life, I figure I'll learn as much as I can with cheap stuff before getting the good things :-p Also, 15bucks for the bent links... seems like a no brainer, I will probably pick these up soonish

LOVING THIS THING!!!! also, I am going to baloon up my nice dsm RX and take this baby through some water soon haha, I go through some good water with my savage, normally just compress air blast it dry after, and little WD in the axles (dogbone meets drive cup) which on the axial would just be 4 locations near tires... is this wrong? or anything else I should do before, or after running in good water?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #14

Balooned the Lipo and the DSM RX and got ready for some woods today 40-50 minutes ran on the 1320mah, and no sign of slowing down... lol good enough for me, wonder how low I got it haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw0auo7TYAE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Lj5rPL0Fw

love this machine!

Last edited by kirktcashalini; 08-10-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: vids