Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: droop set-up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default droop set-up?

i know it has been posted and a search has been done,so i am searching for some fresh feed back.
1 is it worth the time to set it up?
2 is torqe twist cut down?
3 what kind of springs are you runnig?(if any)
4 oil weight?

I am not looking for an easy fix and i know what works on others might not work on mine but i am really fighting torque twist and was wondereing if this is a option

mike
Littlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlex View Post
i know it has been posted and a search has been done,so i am searching for some fresh feed back.
1 is it worth the time to set it up?
2 is torqe twist cut down?
3 what kind of springs are you runnig?(if any)
4 oil weight?

I am not looking for an easy fix and i know what works on others might not work on mine but i am really fighting torque twist and was wondereing if this is a option

mike
It is really about your driving style. It can be worth the time in the end when the rig is working great. Torque twist is cut down because you lower your ride height. Some good springs can be found at Ace Hardware,Century Springs. The spring rate depends on your axle weight. Heavier axles, heavier springs etc. Oil can also be determined by axle weight. But if your using a heavy spring you don't need a very heavy oil.
rc4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

to set them up its pretty easy. and its cuts tourque twist ALOT because its flat on the shocks and stiff,im running mini t springs in mineand they fit perfect. i still need to get some 100 wt oil or some
1000 wt diff oil.
norcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Does anyone have a link to a guide to change shocks over to droop setup?
deuce_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i didnt think i would like droop but after i drove for a few minutes on my course i was very impressed, u will have to pick your lines better since you wont have as much ground clearance but it takes alot to roll over with droop opposed to sprung...im running full droop in back with medium springs and 65w oil and semi droop in front, seems to work very well for me, i did try full droop in front but didnt like it.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

drop caused weird steering characteristics for me so i have since then stuck with sprung and plan on staying that way for a while.
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The guys that I crawl with are skeptical about the droop setup here, but I am having success with it. 80wt up front and 60wt in the rear....NO SPRINGS. I am getting 2.5" of ground clearance...and hardly ever can flip it over.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
WVB
Quarry Creeper

I am trying to search but have come up empty so far... Is anyone running a 50/50 setup - sprung in rear and drop up front..?
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Another thing to think about when going to droop type suspension.Youll want to set up some rear squat in youre rear suspension,or at least keep it nuetral.When i first tried droop i had alot of antisquat in the rear from my sprung setup,and it really made the rear end want to drive under the truck.Just food for thought,its not just about springs and oil if you want to get the most out of it.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVB View Post
I am trying to search but have come up empty so far... Is anyone running a 50/50 setup - sprung in rear and drop up front..?
I run droop in the front sprung in the rear on my rig and it works great for me my rig is very planted and stable. I run a mix of 5k diff oil and 80wt in the droop up front with springs under the piston. And i wont change a thing on it it work flawlessly I have to change out the 5k wt/80wt oil in the winter because it get so thick the shocks wont move so i run 35wt in the winter and it is about the same as 5k mixed with 80wt in the summer
01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

thanks for all the food for thought.
KEEP IT COMING

mike
Littlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01XJ View Post
I run droop in the front sprung in the rear on my rig and it works great for me my rig is very planted and stable. I run a mix of 5k diff oil and 80wt in the droop up front with springs under the piston. And i wont change a thing on it it work flawlessly I have to change out the 5k wt/80wt oil in the winter because it get so thick the shocks wont move so i run 35wt in the winter and it is about the same as 5k mixed with 80wt in the summer

Do you really know this switch in the winter works? Really cold weather? What shocks are used?

thanks.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:48 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

:? :
All this input is would be usefull if folks would include what crawler they are running ?????, is the battery on the chassis or the axle ?

2.2 or Hustler , 14r 18 super
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:49 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01XJ View Post

That s great , but what crawler is it
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
That s great , but what crawler is it
I would bet it's an AX10....although I could definately be wrong! Any way,
I ran droop in last season's rig, this year I'm gonna try a 50/50 set up ie. Droop front sprung rear, with my front end slightly lower than the rear. I run ax10 axles, tranny etc. with a Top Banna Chassis by Del Monte Crawler. I would say that if you take the time to play with many set ups it is worth it to see if it works for you or not. With ANY rig it takes driving it in all sorts of configurations to see what workls for you and your driving style...just look out for too much axle stear!!!!!!!!!!!! too much articulation only looks cool in pics, it is bad when actually crawlin!
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #16

What is benifit of running a droop setup with fuel tubing on the outside and pen springs on the inside?
mike267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike267 View Post
What is benifit of running a droop setup with fuel tubing on the outside and pen springs on the inside?
what setup and chassis are you running?
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #18
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike267 View Post
On any rig the fuel line on the outside is to limit the articulation. Spring on the inside is part of the droop set-up.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I just switched over to full droop on mine and I like it. My rig is a ax10 with black widow chassis. the rear is a tcs 4 link. Can someone give more detail on changing the anti squat to avoid the rear wheels driving up under? thanks!
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Im running a tuber with big bore shocks on my 08 TLT comp rig. It did very well for me, very predictable and stable. I was running medium internal springs from TCS, 80wt oil. Mayhem wheels with 3oz front 1.5 rear, battery on the front axle, receiver on the rear. IMO if you take the time and play with the setup you can end up with a rig that performs excellent. More than likely im gonna run my 09 berg comp rig as a half droop setup. But that is subject to change.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote