Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Battery Damage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Battery Damage?

I was at the comp yesterday using my charger as usual. (Charging at 1.5 amps for my 6 cell 2/3A 1500 packs) A buddy needed to use my charger so I let him... He changed the amp rate to 4.5 and charged his battery, but didn't set it back to 1.5 when he was done.

Surprisingly... I found out I had to run in the finals, so I threw a battery on the charger to peak it off. Like 4 minutes later it was done (which tipped me off that something was wrong). It was very hot to the touch, but it didn't pop. It works, but I have no idea what the damage would be.

Is it safe to continue using... charging? Did I shorten the life of it?

Thanks
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Official Cook of the ECC

Just use it.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Woops Yup you should use it..... I'm surprised it didn't have to off gas during a 4.5 charge. You might notice it won't give you as long a runtime as it did before. As far as total lenght of life for the pack, if you go back to charging at the lower rate it might not have any noticable effect.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

If it didn't vent,it's still useable. NiMH cells are pretty tough,thats what appeals to many people. Don't have to worry much about them. I'd say you may have shortened the overall life of the cells,thats really hard to say one way or the other. I say,run'em till they quit.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Colt Python/SR9c

nothing to worry about...

Picture this:

A glass on the table.. Pour milk very slowly into the glass and you will get it completely filled and not spill a drop..Full battery

Now just dump the whole jug into the glass very fast.. It all comes flying out and your glass is 1/2-3/4 full -

Charge it at a slower rate to bring it back up :thumbsup:
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Still wondering what's going on. The battery discussed in this thread will get hot sometimes during a charge, and only warm at other times. The charge rate is the same at 1.5 amps each time, and the discharge is about the same each time. I don't hot charge them... so I don't know what changes.

My question though... what happens if a 2/3A cell pops? Can it cause a fire? Is it dangerous? (relatively speaking of course). I'm still using the battery and it staill works great and has great runtime... I just can't figure out why it's fickle about getting hot like that.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have not messed with the NiCD's or NiMI's in while but it sounds to me like you might have a cell out of balance. You have a way to discharge the cells individually?
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Still wondering what's going on. The battery discussed in this thread will get hot sometimes during a charge, and only warm at other times. The charge rate is the same at 1.5 amps each time, and the discharge is about the same each time. I don't hot charge them... so I don't know what changes.

My question though... what happens if a 2/3A cell pops? Can it cause a fire? Is it dangerous? (relatively speaking of course). I'm still using the battery and it staill works great and has great runtime... I just can't figure out why it's fickle about getting hot like that.

What is the MV peak setting to? If thats too high you will ruin a pack. NiMh cells dont cause fires. I doubt you will pop a top. That usually only happens with a super high rate SC cell that has a thin can.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Form charge it to bring it back into balance. Basically discharge it at a low rate and then charge it at C/10 for 14 hours.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
What is the MV peak setting to? If thats too high you will ruin a pack. NiMh cells dont cause fires. I doubt you will pop a top. That usually only happens with a super high rate SC cell that has a thin can.
If by MV you mean Max Voltage (?) the charger is a peak detection charger. I can't set that. And from what I understand in the instructions, I can only discharge NiCad... not Nickel Metal. It's a Duratrax Intellipeak pulse charger. (which could be part of my problem) I have heard those can read false peaks (?)

Again... I am still learning when it comes to batteries and charging, so most of what I think I know, I learned on RCC. I appreciate all the help so far!