RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   thread lock in your beadlock wheels? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/130877-thread-lock-your-beadlock-wheels.html)

psun786 08-10-2008 09:18 PM

thread lock in your beadlock wheels?

Doesn anyone know if I should apply thread lock to screws in aluminum beadlock wheels? Thx

fixed13 08-10-2008 10:21 PM

Not positive on the beadlocks but my other RC experience tells me thread lock all metal to metal conections.

SeanD 08-11-2008 06:53 AM

I don't know about anybody else, but I've never had to put any threadlock on my beadlock bolts (Mayhems). Actually whenever I go to to take them apart, there is always a distinctive snap before the bolts break free. I've never had one work loose on its own yet either.

Just my experience.

chris_dishmon 08-11-2008 07:35 AM

i wouldn't do it unless you're having a problem with stripped holes or bolts backing out. if it ain't broke don't fix it, i guess.

Gozer 08-11-2008 07:51 AM

If the wheels and bolts are both anodized you can skip putting on the thread lock. The two anodized parts seem to almost fuse together. Giving you that snaping sound when loosing them. once the anodizing wears away you will prooly have to use BLUE Loc Tite.

psun786 08-11-2008 12:31 PM

Does the Tamiya blue thread lock bond to aluminum? Maybe I should use it on the chassis? I had two screws came off from my new D40 aluminum axle.

constantmotion 08-11-2008 12:34 PM

I have never had any issues with the screws backing out on my aluminum beadlocks. Just for safety measures, I usually check them every week or so...depending on how much I wheel it.

crazy_kanaka 08-11-2008 12:50 PM

I've never had to use thread lock on my beadlocks. You shouldn't have to use it. I think that the tires bead provides enough back pressure on the rings that the screws don't want to come loose.

However if you do ever have a problem and need to use thread lock I would recommend using the purple instead of the blue.

Trugg 08-11-2008 01:32 PM

I have found absolutely NO need for threadlocker on aluminum beadlocks...
and i normally threadlock everything that is metal to metal.

crawler619 08-11-2008 09:18 PM

I had to put some on my sons ax10 rtr,The bolts kept backing out.

braceysdad 08-11-2008 09:35 PM

I do...

zoojunkie 08-12-2008 12:09 PM

Well, being that most of these crawlers are electric, and vibration is minimum, I only put thread lock on my motor can screws. There isn't enough vibrations in an electric car to warrant thread locking beadlocks. Added bonus is that the rubber from the beads pushes against the beadlock ring when you compress the ring by screwing it down. With this pressure from the beadlock, it's enough to keep your screws were they need to be.

ZippoMan 03-05-2014 07:38 PM

Re: thread lock in your beadlock wheels?

I know this is an old thread but very good info!! I had this question about my new Mayhem 1.9 Trail Ready's and the beadlock rings. Just bumping back up to top!! Thanks folks!! :)

anuthabubba 03-05-2014 08:26 PM

Re: thread lock in your beadlock wheels?

Never used it on glow fueled engines. The steel screws in the cast aluminum stuck without the need. Even in the heads on high revving ones! With the right amount of torque, the steel screw would slightly stretch the aluminum threads, locking it in place.